What was the 'killer moment' that made you lose weight

(315 Posts)
sallycinnamum Sun 05-May-13 20:55:31

Donkeys years ago I lost a significant amount of weight via SW because I saw a photo at a work Xmas party and made a vow to lose a stone. I ended up losing two over 4 months.

When I got married two years ago I ate nothing but porridge and Ryvita for two weeks and lost half a stone so the dress wouldn't be too tight. Then a month later I got pregnant with my second DC.

Now, after 2 DC I know I need to lose a stone but I haven't had the killer moment yet that will spur me into going on a proper, long-term diet and sticking to it.

I just wondered what it was that finally spurred you into going on a diet and doing it properly rather than giving up a couple of weeks in.

sallycinnamum Sun 05-May-13 21:36:30

I didn't limit it too much but I've always found that with porridge, a decent sized bowl with fruit on top will fill me up so much I can't eat a whole bowl anyway (made with half milk, half water).
Then I had 4 Ryvita with Philadelphia and a Muller Lite yog for lunch and then a bowl of porridge in the evening.

It's a boring diet and you couldn't do it long term but it does get the weight off in an 'emergency' situation.

CognitiveOverload Sun 05-May-13 21:39:50

When my partners uncle who is usually very conservative and tactful gave me tips on how to start jogging.

HootShoot Sun 05-May-13 21:40:18

I had two moments, I was at a wedding and a relative asked when I was due, when I said I wasn't she loudly exclaimed "ohh you haven't lost the baby weight then?". Then (TMI - sorry) my DH and I were doing the deed and he kept on asking me to go on top. I didn't want to because I felt so unattractive and ended up bursting into tears over it! So I decided to do something about it and joined WW and have lost a stone and 4 pounds so far in seven weeks :-)

I haven't had it yet. sad I need to lose 6 stone. blush I keep waiting for it to "click" but it never does. I start a new diet almost every week but never last longer than 2 days max. DH has recently lost almost 2 stone just through cutting out dairy, becoming a vegetarian and not drinking caffeine, (because he always had milk and sugar in his coffee). I'm so jealous, he's almost at the weight he was when I met him 18 years ago. As much as I'm pleased for him it's making feel like complete shite about myself and my own weight. sad envy I really need a bloody good kick up the arse!

Nehru Sun 05-May-13 21:47:56

ZOMBIES you big Jessie! 2 days?!
Come on - nothing tastes as good as being slim feels. grin

when you are about to scoff, think hard:
1. am I hungry?
2. will this make me happy?
3. can i eat this another time. ( this no3 irrelevant if you, say, were at a Michelin starred restaurant rather than scoffing a mini roll)

OnTheNingNangNong Sun 05-May-13 21:48:10

Not had mine yet, I need to lose 1.5stone to get back into my pre pregnancy jeans and I haven't had that kick up the bum to make me do anything for longer than a week

BikeRunSki Sun 05-May-13 21:48:33

Last September, a few things -

I saw photos of me at DS's 4th birthday party.

DS asked me if I was having another baby ("No Sweetheart, there's just you and DD" "Then why are you so fat?")

I had a medical and doc gave me my weight in kilos. It sounded a bit high. I kept trying to convert it to stone in my head. Kept getting 15 stone. Kept thinking I was wrong. Got home and used a calculator. I was right.

I joined SW the next week, liar 2.5 stone.

Had to get back into my work clothes after mat leave.

Tried to buy a skirt I really liked, but the biggest size didn't fitshock

Bum got stuck in the coach of a narrow gauge railway.

These things all happened
in the space of a week.

Nehru Sun 05-May-13 21:49:47

i am sorry Bike but
"Bum got stuck in the coach of a narrow gauge railway" did make me lol because of its Alan Bennet quality

Flobbadobs Sun 05-May-13 21:50:20

Using facetime for the first time on my ipad. All I could see was chin upon chin upon chin....

FriedSprout Sun 05-May-13 21:52:18

My bf wanted to do a calendar to give my mum using photos of all of us.
She asked me to send her some photos and I spent 3 days trying to get rid of the spare tyres using Photoshop shock
That was in December 2012. On January 1st I started a diet, using a BBC low fat menu book, changing coffee with two sugars x 6 per day for tea with none, using low fat sprays and no spreads or butter.
I was 13stone 3Ibs jan 1st and am now very proud [can you tell] to be 10stone 3Ibs. I am enjoying throwing loads of size 18 clothes away and buying size 14
Am loving having more energy too and have started taking much more care with overall appearance.
Also am very proficient at Photoshop techniques now too grin
Am late forties and never thought I would feel this good about myself again.

Nehru Sun 05-May-13 21:52:57

you cannot be size 14 at ten stone
NOWAY HOSE

LaundryLegoLunch Sun 05-May-13 21:53:36

It was a thread on here actually. Someone had weighed themselves and wanted to cry, cue loads of posters saying they felt the same. It was in Jan so there was quite a lot of motivation I suppose.
Anyhow, someone recommended My Fitness Pal and also that quite cheesy quote about choosing your hard.

I've lost 2 stone all through logging religiously in MFP. In the last two weeks loads of people have mentioned it so I feel awesome. I'd wanted to lose weight for years but hadn't found an easy way.

FairPhyllis Sun 05-May-13 21:54:14

I realised that I'd just veered over into the overweight category on bmi calculators and was too big for most of my clothes. Decided it was time to take control or have it continue to creep up. Am now a size 12 from a size 14 in January - very slow progress, but going in the right direction. Need to lose about a stone now. I am getting a bit fed up with the food now - I need to think of some new things to eat.

My mum also decided to lose weight with me. It's good to have someone else doing it so you can happily bore each other to death about calories and statistics, but she has already reached her target weight envy

flossywithafringe Sun 05-May-13 21:54:33

Nehru I like you! Please say things like that to me, too grin

LaundryLegoLunch Sun 05-May-13 21:57:36

I also did that thing of thinking "will eating this really make me feel better?" I suppose I was tough with myself about not cheating or thinking I 'deserved' a treat because I'd had a great day/awful day etc

FourEyesGood Sun 05-May-13 21:59:43

Hearing someone on the radio talking about his weight loss and fitness regime - he told himself "It doesn't have to be this way" which is what I started telling myself if I looked in the mirror and felt flabby.
Also, my cousin, who's been obese for the past ten years or so, recently got really fit and has lost masses of weight. She inspired me (I ought to tell her, really!). I've taken it very slowly and have lost just over a stone since mid-December, using Wii Fit most days and cutting way back on bread, biscuits and cakes. My BMI dropped just below overweight into the 'ideal' range (only just!) last week and I'm having trouble adjusting to the idea that I'm not overweight any more! grin

suchashame Sun 05-May-13 22:01:13

my moment was after my dear bro developed diabetes and I tested myself ....... found my blood gluscose on the threshhold of being diabetic too. Finding out by the time most T2 diabetics diagnosed theres damage lready done to the body including the eyes. I laready have a serious sye condition and I dont want to lose my sight.

Sobering thoughts....... started on lower carbing beginning of december and am now 2.5 stone lighter...... wonderful feeling throwing all them baggy clothes out and feeling so much better. Still 2 stone to go to target but I am within 2 lbs of no longe being obese !!!!!!

nenevomito Sun 05-May-13 22:02:25

It was when I discovered that kids were picking on DS as he had a fat Mum. He has enough problems of his own without me adding to them. I felt crap.

I've lost 3st so far.

Nehru Sun 05-May-13 22:02:45

i used to have a thing on twitter called ipodge where ai basically abused the weak

After being an overweight child and an obese adult, and being insulted more times than I can count for this, the thing that gave me the kick was walking around London and absolutely dying because my thighs were chafing and my back was killing me.

I had to keep stopping and pretending that my (new) shoes were the problem and that my feet were sore, rather than admitting it was the weight because I was so ashamed.

Also, I have PCOS and had been trying to conceive for about 7 years - but even that really wasn't the kick I needed. It was that London trip. Ruining my partner's enjoyment because I was so unfit and had to keep stopping and looking a mess.

That was 2008.
I was over 20 stone and a size 24.
I'm now about 9stone 10ish - 10stone and a size 10/12.

Oh, and I also have a 2 year old DD. smile

Nehru Sun 05-May-13 22:04:16

OH MY GOD!!!

that is the most amazing story ever.

HootShoot Sun 05-May-13 22:04:23

Thats brilliant, well done babyheave!

Last night. I will lose the weight. I will!!

HootShoot Sun 05-May-13 22:06:22

And peppa!

orderinformation Sun 05-May-13 22:06:55

Marking to read later

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now