As probably the only person in Britain who hates the heat...

(156 Posts)
Campaspe Fri 05-Jul-13 14:46:12

...could someone tell me how long this heatwave will last? I'm hearing alarming forecasts of it lasting for the rest of the summer. Gulp. Is this really the case? (Should say I live in the SW, and am very envious of those in the temperate north).

Campaspe Sun 18-Aug-13 18:26:16

I don't know if it really has any physical basis. I'm sure I would find the great easier to bear of I wasn't overweight, but even when I was thinner, I didn't enjoy it. I'm watching the forecast with some trepidation at the moment, as out looks as if the hot weather will be returning for a short period. Yikes!

digerd Fri 16-Aug-13 05:54:17

It is the humidity that wipes me out. Was fine when younger, but not now. My sis , however, who is only 2.9 years younger loves it . My older DB and SIL also have no problems.

loopydoo Fri 16-Aug-13 02:08:24

I absolutely hate it and my dh just doesn't get me and says I whinging all the time. W are currently on holiday on the south of France......what's waste of money! We go out in the morning then come back to apartment for lucnch and either don't go back out or go out about seven o clock at night.

I am wondering whether, along ŵith some thyroid conditions, heat intolerance has something to do with blood group? In the real world, my BIL is the only other person I know who cannot stand high temps and is very similar to me when it goes higher than 22-25 deg c.

middleagefrumptynumpty Wed 17-Jul-13 01:37:21

sorry, advice.

middleagefrumptynumpty Wed 17-Jul-13 01:36:41

Guys, please feel some sympathy for me.
I live on the equator. We have no seasons and every day of the year it is 70-80% humidity and between 32 and 40 degrees. This goes on every day of the year. It has at times driven me into psychotic episodes. Yesterday I took my kids to a park for 2 hours and then I had to have a sleep for 2 hours. I hate the heat and love. My favourite temp is spring/ late summer 18 - 23 degrees. Everyone tells me how lucky I am but seriously the heat makes me cry.

My only advise to you is to buy a couple of free standing fans for any future heat waves. I will add though that I find it funny how all my relatives moan about the cold and rain, but once they have4 hot days in a row, they go stir crazy grin

valiumredhead Mon 08-Jul-13 20:00:21

Only about 20 here atm, I've suddenly got really hungry and am looking forward to a good night's sleep.

mignonette Mon 08-Jul-13 16:09:05

I hate it and had a complete temper tantrum this morning because I awoke feeling so hot, sticky and unhygienic. Yuck yuck yuck.

ppeatfruit Mon 08-Jul-13 16:01:11

There's a breeze but it's 31C. The problem with DH is he lives in A.C. in his car as well so he NEVER gets used to the heat Its sooo unnatural. Even more annoying he complains when the weather's cold!!!!

valiumredhead Mon 08-Jul-13 14:24:10

Me too! Much cooler todaygrin

digerd Mon 08-Jul-13 13:47:25

Hooray, there's a lovely fresh breeze today and feels so much cooler - not hot and oppressive at all. I can breathe freely with no problem < still braless though>. No sneezing or blowing my nose either smile.
I've been brought back to life by a fresh breeze grin

Badvoc Mon 08-Jul-13 13:24:39

Well, I have just ordered a beach tent so no Doubt it will be snowing by the end of the week!
smile

ppeatfruit Mon 08-Jul-13 11:16:29

DH has been away and I've coped with just shutters\curtains closed and windows open; now he's wheeled out our very old air conditioner which I HATE!!!

LackaDAISYcal Mon 08-Jul-13 08:10:41

"Hopefully we will all start to acclimatise a bit by then"

This has hit the nail on the head. If we had luffly weather all the time in the summer, we would all be used to it and would cope so much better. But, as it only happens for a few days (or weeks at most), we are just getting used to it and then it gets cold again and so it goes round and round...

No work for me tonight yayyy! I'm a home care worker and the number of houses I was in on Saturday with either windows closed tight shut, or even worse, with heating on shock was truly staggering! Add to that plastic aprons and I was melting!

Badvoc Mon 08-Jul-13 07:33:39

Ha!
How true.

Bunbaker Sun 07-Jul-13 22:08:17

"Is this really going to last till the 19th??? "

I can guarantee that the weather will break after the 19th because that is when most schools break up.

It looks likely to last at least another week campaspe. Maybe cooling down then. Hopefully we will all start to acclimatise a bit by then. Tues/weds/thurs of this week not looking quite so bonkersly hot for the majority.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 07-Jul-13 21:44:50

Well work was SHITE! The heat was intense, nobody wanted cheese or pork pies today, tying to stop the wax melting on the cheese was murder, ive developed a fine pair of cankles...

Campaspe Sun 07-Jul-13 21:42:04

Ok, so half nine at night, and it's still 27 degrees outside in Bristol. I listened to the long range weather forecast, and it looks a if we are stuck with this all week in the south west. Can someone who can interpret the forecasts give me a date when it might cool down? Is this really going to last till the 19th??? sad

GloriaSmud Sun 07-Jul-13 21:34:19

Highest temp today ~ 31.6C at 5.35pm. There has been more of a breeze though today so it's made everything a bit more bearable.

digerd Sun 07-Jul-13 21:22:59

Took little dog out at 7pm and all the way was in the shade, so bearable.
No cool breeze in my house today sad

Mirage Sun 07-Jul-13 20:22:29

I'll be working outside all day,I'm a gardener.Then I come home and either work on the farm,take the ponies out or work in my polytunnel [I can't even guess how hot it is in there atm].

I'm happy that the weather is so good that we have mown the hay this morning,tedded it this afternoon and it will be baled tomorrow.smile This time last year it was too wet to do anything and it was a disaster.

amazingmumof6 Sun 07-Jul-13 19:26:24

just been to a lovely garden tea party.
it was crazy hot even in the shade.

now hiding inside. lovely breeze in my living room - bliss

LackaDAISYcal Sun 07-Jul-13 16:58:46

After the kids mithering at me for the paddling pool I ventured in to the attic to get it and almost passed out; so hot and airless up there.

I'm using the tennis as an excuse not to be outside and they are now screaming with glee in cold water.
Ooops, were screaming with glee. DS2 is now screaming as he stood on a bee sad

digerd Sun 07-Jul-13 16:32:44

Thanks colditz, I have and not so bad now. Hoping at 6.30 for next and final dog walk, it will have freshened up and cooled off a bit. Phew!

colditz Sun 07-Jul-13 16:13:29

Go and have a shower, wash that pollen off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now