Snow Watch Part 4. The Winter continues....

(921 Posts)

met office warnings For tomorrow for Scotland and NW England, extending to Yorkshire. NW Scotlant in particular looks awful with blizzard conditions.

I'm not quite sure about the warnings for England, I'm going to be really interested to see how they pan out. Tuesday scattered sleet and snow showers for many.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 08-Mar-13 20:14:06

DH is running a field trip to some sand dunes on Monday. I am seriously nagging him to cancel it, which of course is making him determined to go. On his head be it if all the students start keeling over with hypothermia.

shock Ariel, they will perish! And be blinded by the sand. It won't be a pretty way to go!

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 08-Mar-13 20:27:49

I can't tell him kitten <resigned>

I should be encouraging him to go, use reverse psychology. But it's too late now - I've already said it.

mumat39 Fri 08-Mar-13 21:54:24

Is this the beast from the east finally making an appearance?

I saw on another site someone saying it could get as low as -12 or -15 even. Brrrrrr!!!

mumat39 Fri 08-Mar-13 21:56:27

Ariel, could you suggest postponing it rather than cancel it? Maybe the parents of students will stop them going.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 08-Mar-13 22:02:49

They're undergrads! grin

Mumat, those wouldn't be real temps.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 08-Mar-13 22:17:06

No it's windchill innit?

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 08-Mar-13 22:38:46

DH just seen the weather forecast and even he is starting to look a little doubtful about the wisdom of the enterprise!

mumat39 Fri 08-Mar-13 23:02:29

Ariel, ah! I see grin

BadKitten, that's a relief. phew! Can I ask, why does the thermometer in my car show the real temp rather than the wind chill temp ? I'm very confused about that. confused

Thank you again. Xxx

Windchill temps aren't a directly measurable thing. Temperature is what it is iyswim. There are various wind chill formulas each giving a slightly different answer to the 'feels like temperature'
Plus as windchill is is related to wind speed, the faster your car went, the more the wind chill would increase grin

mumat39 Fri 08-Mar-13 23:55:44

Ok, so it's not a real temp, more a mathematical thingamajig. I'm still confused but at least I know the answer. I can now pretend to be clever if it ever comes up in conversation grin

Hope you're well OYBBK. And Happy Mother's Day for Sunday! xxx

digerd Sat 09-Mar-13 08:16:37

I felt colder at +6 here due to the damp cold than -10 in Germany <without the whiplash wind from Siberia which was something else!> in a dry cold.

Exactly Mumat.
I hope you have a lovely day tomorrow too smile

Well ermm...... Looks like its coming a bit early for some. A wintery mix for those in EA, Lincolnshire and Yorkshire today. Could turn increasingly to snow!

leesmum Sat 09-Mar-13 08:33:20

Kitten do you reckon Manchester will get any white stuff?

Maybe a little tomorrow leesmum, but nothing too exciting.

A fair bit of the east coast (and inland on the east) looks to be in the firing line later tomorrow, with special emphasis on East Yorkshire and perhaps Lincolnshire.

leesmum Sat 09-Mar-13 08:41:37

Thanks lovely, I wanted snow in winter but would rather be seeing some sunshine for this time of year.

Lovely hmmconfused
I'm in lincs and was hoping to avoid it this time!

MegGriffin Sat 09-Mar-13 12:28:16

Didn't expect to be coming back to the snow thread so soon. I love the snow but was ready for spring. It wont stop me curtain twitching for the next few days though grin

PigletJohn Sat 09-Mar-13 13:37:28

oi, what about my gas bill?

I know pigletjohn. It's a bit rubbish. I want to do gardening and to be comfortable.

LillethTheCat Sat 09-Mar-13 14:32:53

Its been peeing down all day here in North Yorks/Co Durham border. If it does snow, it will take a lot to lay. Its forecast snow. I was ready for spring too. Please let this lot be the last lot and then temps can climb a bit even if it does rain a lot.

PigletJohn Sat 09-Mar-13 14:46:36

south coast, mild and sunny this afternoon. Forecast says it is going to get cold again.

digerd Sat 09-Mar-13 16:17:20

Piglet
Do you have to keep on about sunny, warm and spring flowers blooming. Makes me so envious.
+6 and misty murky again today, but no rain so far. Forgotten what the sun looks like already. < misery face>.
S.Herts.

prettydaisies Sat 09-Mar-13 16:18:23

It's snowing here - Norfolk. My garden is white again. Where is the sunshine?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now