Snow Watch Part 4. The Winter continues....

(921 Posts)

met office warnings For tomorrow for Scotland and NW England, extending to Yorkshire. NW Scotlant in particular looks awful with blizzard conditions.

I'm not quite sure about the warnings for England, I'm going to be really interested to see how they pan out. Tuesday scattered sleet and snow showers for many.

mumat39 Sun 24-Feb-13 14:28:43

AAAARRRGGGHHHH! I meant digerd.

RustyBear Sun 24-Feb-13 14:30:54

Don't think your memory is that bad, mumat39: we had several days of very warm weather at the end of March last year here in Berkshire.

mumat39 Sun 24-Feb-13 14:33:04
mumat39 Sun 24-Feb-13 14:39:06

Hi Rusty, I do have a terrible vague memory but it's good to know I remembered something right smile

At the moment I can't see anything remarkable in the models for the first half of the month though a warm up does seem frustratingly slow.

Btw mumat, you are very welcome smile

digerd Sun 24-Feb-13 20:55:40

Mum
Me too with unremarkable things, but I have been recording temperatures in the winter for years. I just had other things to search for today, and my eyes are not very good either these days and couldn't get down to searching through my diaries for the year in question. If I wrote it down at all.

I do remember being in Tenerife in March and it rained for most of the 2 weeks, and heard that we had the hottest sunniest March on record. But don't remember the year. But was 2008 or before, that I know for sure.
Also remember having our summer in April and then no more until September.

digerd Sun 24-Feb-13 21:20:07

Right
Last March

In my diary for Tuesday 20th SUNNY - only +2 in the night, but by 8.45am heating went off.
Friday 23rd SUNNY - + 3 in the night.
Monday 26th " 0 in the night
No more weather descriptions just that I went down with the flu and had a raised temperature.
6th of April night temp was -2
7th of April + 8
The highest night temp in May was on the 25th =16
June 4/5 night was +5
July 20/21 night +7 Very erratic night temps last year.

digerd Sun 24-Feb-13 21:28:28

It rained non-stop here last summer, with a few days of tropical humid heat twice. It rained all day and night for weeks. I do remember that as we were all moaning here.

mumat39 Sun 24-Feb-13 22:10:06

Hi Digerd.

I was really surprised that my memory for once had served me correctly. Honestly, I can't remember much of what happened a couple of days ago let alone years ago. I posted the link as i thought it was quite interesting.

I'm impressed that you record the daily temperatures. That must make for interesting reading esp as the weather does seem to be changing and the seasons seem to arrive later now.

I hope your garden does well this year. We've had a camellia for a few years that doesn't do anything but I'm a useless gardener.

Take care and hope you've had a good weekend. smile

It was definitely warm in late march last year, I have pictures of DS outside in a tshirt and shorts! grin Just think, that could be us just a month from now <cracks open sunscreen> grin
I do also remember the rain though, we got our 1000litre water butt installed in april and it was full within 10 days hmm

digerd Mon 25-Feb-13 08:52:29

Mum
I have to write down what I have to do the night before if I have non-routine things to do. My main problem is remembering certain things but the sense of time has deteriorated. Could be 2 days ago, 2 weeks ago, 2 months ago or last year < grizzle face at ageing>.

Trouble with the very hot and humid weather, is that exotic biting beasties love me now and hot days and nights of incessant scratching the intolerable iitching drives me mad. They even bit me through my clothes last year- I am so irrisistibly delicious it would seem !

digerd Mon 25-Feb-13 11:54:34

S.Herts
Little dog had her walkies this morning and it was hardly noticeably drizzling, but didn't put either of us off. Definitely not so cold today and supposed to get even milder but heavier rain during the week < don't want the dog walks to get muddy again as been dry for a while>

leesmum Mon 25-Feb-13 20:27:03

Don't know about it getting milder, been freezing here today and an icy wind!!! Just lit the woodburner and am virtually hugging it smile

Warmer? Really? In that case it is a positively tropic 3.5C here <not convinced about getting milder>

Would be nice if it did get warmer though.

it would be lovely! I am very fed up of being cold!

digerd Tue 26-Feb-13 17:18:23

S.Herts
Me too. Little dog is too hot and has taken to lying on the floor, but she has a lovely fluffy thick coat on permanently. Fed up of taking ages to put on my thick winter outdoor dog walking clothes and boots - still in my sheepskin gloves- and then taking them off again at home.
At least it's dry - dreading wet weather.

Might have to resurrect this thread soon wink

Noooooooooooooo

AngryFeet Mon 04-Mar-13 22:29:49

The gritters have been past for the last 2 nights. Whats happening? I am in croydon and weather forecast says rain for next few days.

Middle of next week it looks to turn much colder I think, with some wintery precipitation possible especially in the east (including the se!). Tuesday looks to be the start of it. Early days yet, but am keeping a close eye on it and wishing it away

digerd Tue 05-Mar-13 09:52:43

S.Herts
We have had a lot of sunshine for weeks now, the cons are
having clear skies and frost in the morning and a cold wind. < we can't have everything, can we>

-1 last night, but sun from the start today. Still walking little dog in my eskimo outfit in the mornings, and with less on in the afternoons.
Last week in Feb last year, we had +10 in the night, +9, +4. +2, +7,+3, +7,+3.
March stayed in the low 0-+3 most of the time with the odd +5-8
6th April -2
16th April - 1
Whatever, my heating goes off on 1st May !! Hope warm weather is settled by then as not always has been.

digerd Tue 05-Mar-13 09:54:07

ps.
Temps given are minimum in the night.

LillethTheCat Tue 05-Mar-13 11:20:12

noooooooooooooo please no more snow, I want Spring now. DH has just sorted out my washing line so I can continue to hang clothes up outside.

<goes off to check various weather sites in the hope of not finding any proof of snow>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now