Lots of rain warnings

(336 Posts)

Including amber for part of the south.

Channel 5 re going to be doing a flooding special at 6:30

LostInWales Mon 26-Nov-12 13:59:31

Bloody hell shock and there's no where for it to soak in either. Poor people, I hope they are all prepared and no one tries to be clever. We were up in Llanberis over half term and it was such a lovely place, to see the water rushing through there on the news last week was awful. Hard to believe we got off lightly here when it seemed like the apocalypse at the time.

redwelly <shhhhh> don't spoil our fun! If I want to know how high the river is here I just look out of the window, don't want facts just nice graphs!

Wow! Just saw that parts of northern Wales could see 90mm from this. That's a lot of rain.

redwellybluewelly Mon 26-Nov-12 10:49:07

I have an issue with that water level thingy - I work with rivers (in as much as I spend a lot of time talking about way to manage flow, manage land use, canoe them and photograph them) and I know the height of my local river and how fast it can change. In the summer the river burst its banks, spillways activated, no houses flooded but it was spectacular, the EA river gauge thingy on the weir by our bridge didn't even say it was in flood.

Saltire Mon 26-Nov-12 10:43:08

It might. Last time it happened all the roads flooded (smal village in middle of nowhere) and all the major couriers (except tesco) said they couldn't or wouldn't get through.

JenaiMathis Mon 26-Nov-12 10:42:32

I was rather too impressed by it too, Lost grin

LostInWales Mon 26-Nov-12 10:30:50

I have nothing helpful to add re flooding or rain but how cool it that environment agency water measurement thing. I am going to have a great time now just looking at different river levels. (This is probably the only place I can admit to wanting to do that!)

Hope everyone stays safe and dry, my parents are in the amber area with you Saltire. Looks like north Wales is going to get it today, on the forecast it looks like the rain cloud has got stuck on Snowdon, hope Llanberis is prepared after last weeks flooding sad.

JenaiMathis Sun 25-Nov-12 20:26:32

This is my nearest measuring thing. It seems higher tho.

We're on the hill, thankfully. Don't think anyone will actually get flooded.

www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/120718.aspx?stationId=3041

Sparklingbrook Sun 25-Nov-12 20:23:15

To be flooded before, then have the defences put in place and feel all safe then it happens again. shock really.

Poor souls. It sounds like it was really frightening.

Sparklingbrook Sun 25-Nov-12 20:15:53

Yes OYBBK that's in Kempsey not far from me. They thought they were safe but the pumps failed. sad Just astonishing really.

Other than being a thoroughly miserable day saltire, is it going to cause you major issues?

Saltire Sun 25-Nov-12 20:12:08

I am in the amber area of Yorkshire for tomorrows warnings.

Up thread a little was said about the Environment Agency

bbc report about new defences which are said to have failed.

amber warnings now for further north. Very soggy, esp e. of the pennines with up to 3 inches of rain.

RumBaa, the good news is that you should (hopefully) get some drier interludes tomorrow, having got the bulk of the worst of it over with today.

Bread cheese and wine for you. Pasta and water for IL's!

Sparklingbrook Sun 25-Nov-12 18:19:00

Sounds good to me. Wine with bread and cheese. grin

RumBaaBaa Sun 25-Nov-12 18:14:45

The interesting food will run out at some point tomorrow. Thereafter it will be pasta meals all round... We do have a great village shop but not sure supplies will get through. Hoping they will still have some lovely Cornish Camembert in stock and some of those frozen baguette thingies you can stick in the oven. That'll do. And some wine grin.

Sparklingbrook Sun 25-Nov-12 18:13:10

That's good then you haven't got to worry about school runs. When does your food run out though?

RumBaaBaa Sun 25-Nov-12 18:12:12

Mine are 3 and 1. My eldest goes to pre-school in the village, 25 meters from the house. Not sure how the older kids in the village will get to school though, there is usually a community bus that runs to Looe and Torpoint to the high schools but I'm pretty sure it won't be running. Could be a lot of bored teenagers at home tomorrow!

Sparklingbrook Sun 25-Nov-12 18:10:38

Do you have DC that need to get to school in the morning Rum?

RumBaaBaa Sun 25-Nov-12 18:10:10

sorry I meant pepper!

RumBaaBaa Sun 25-Nov-12 18:09:45

Oh I love it [pepper]. I may do just that grin...

RumBaaBaa Sun 25-Nov-12 18:09:02

It is rubbish isn't it. There is real suffering happening with flooded homes and businesses and the whole country must be getting cabin fever. I know I am. What a total crapathon. It really is time for the rain to bugger right off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now