First Purees?

(6 Posts)
QueenSconetta Tue 15-Oct-13 09:21:59

Great, thanks all.

Jackanory1978 Mon 14-Oct-13 19:03:55

I've never pureed anything. He likes sweet potato (cut into chips & oven roasted in olive oil), banana (just cut into 'chip' shapes or mash it into weetabix & add warm full fat cows milk, all time favourite), pear (I hold it in front of him & he sucks & slobbers over it), parsnip (ok but doesn't love it), stewed apple with cinnamon, carrot (not a real favourite, he mainly throws it on the floor) & pumpkin.

He refused baby rice & baby porridge; now I use regular Quakers oats with cows milk & mix on the apple/cinnamon mix. It's so yummy I eat most of it whilst he decorates his highchair with it.

I just gave him new foods as & when; ie. I was eating fresh brown bread so just handed him a chunk. Once they're 6 months old that's fine.

He's 6 months old & started solids 1 week ago.

Have your camera ready at all times!

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Sun 13-Oct-13 14:07:43

Apple and pear were big with ds. Any combination of parsnip, carrot, sweet potato and butternut squash was a hit. Plus cauliflower and broccoli cheese. I bought a microwave steamer which was great.

MiaowTheCat Sun 13-Oct-13 14:02:57

Butternut squash is usually a hit in this house - bung in oven halved when you've got something else cooking in there on some baking paper - then scoop out and mash up/puree (I just mashed cos I'm lazy)

ExBrightonBell Sat 12-Oct-13 16:12:56

Assuming your baby is 6 months plus, you can give whatever you like really. Also you can give a variety rather than wait a few days before introducing a new flavour, unless you have a history of allergies in your family.

QueenSconetta Sat 12-Oct-13 09:44:10

Have been weaning DD2 with baby rice and porridge for about a week and am looking to move on to purees (used jars with DD1 but want to home make this time).

What are the best veg to start with? I was thinking sweet potato and carrot, but looking for other ideas. Also should I give her the same thing for a number of days in a row or a variety?

Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now