Do you give your LO veg at lunchtime??

(17 Posts)
u32ng Mon 26-Aug-13 19:23:19

How true!

Chunderella Sun 25-Aug-13 10:10:08

OP if you think about it, jacket spud with beans is a very common lunch. That's two lots of veg and there are probably thousands of people a day having it.

u32ng Sat 24-Aug-13 22:16:00

I think it was definitely a mental block about cooked veg at lunch on my part, as I'm used to having 'cold' things like sandwiches/yoghurt/fruit/raw veg.

However we had a random potato left the other day & I just cooked it up & offered him some mash potato whilst I had my lunch. I have also done cooked carrot. So am definitely getting over the idea of certain foods at certain times!

LittleBearPad Sat 24-Aug-13 00:27:20

Why is veg at lunchtimes weird?

delasi Sat 24-Aug-13 00:24:50

PS may also be influenced by our own eating habits however, as we eat vegetables at lunch and dinner. But we eat a 'proper' meal at lunch (pasta, rice, meat, veg, that kind of thing), I guess if you normally just have a sandwich then you wouldn't be accustomed to eating cooked vegetables?

delasi Sat 24-Aug-13 00:23:02

Fwiw we started off with veg, then added bread, followed by meat, and then fruit, and so on. At the beginning they don't eat so much and DS just seemed to 'get' broccoli so we kept offering it! He now has quite an ordinary breakfast of porridge and fruit, but throughout the day he has vegetables, carbs, meat/fish and cheese, regardless of the time. His favourite snack at the moment is cherry tomatoes so he gets quite a few of those any time between 11am and 6pm smile

Jovellanos Mon 19-Aug-13 18:57:48

Why is cooking veg at lunchtime weird? Not being goady - I genuinely don't get it!

ImFineThankYou Mon 19-Aug-13 18:56:05

We have veg at lunch as then I'm not too worried about what we have for tea.
We're just so used to it being a certain routine that I guess anything else seems odd.

u32ng Mon 19-Aug-13 15:00:53

Ok thanks! I think the idea of cooking veg at lunch was weird to me but I don't want DS to get to 8months & not have even had carrot yet haha!

You are right ImFineThankYou - baby has no idea what should be eaten at certain times of the day, so I will give it a go!

mrsmartin1984 Sun 18-Aug-13 21:45:51

Some babies feed better at different times of the day. There are no rules. Do what you find is best

gallicgirl Sun 18-Aug-13 21:35:47

I tended to give veg before anything else to be honest.

ImFineThankYou Sun 18-Aug-13 21:33:23

You could even give it at breakfast if you like shockwinkgrin

Seriously, baby has no idea of our preconceived ideas about what should be eaten at certain times of day.
Go for it!

Pascha Sun 18-Aug-13 21:33:20

Sorry, a little rude of me there blush.

Ds2 is 7.5m, he has all sorts at lunchtime. Sometimes it's a cheese sandwich and cucumber batons, sometimes it's omelette. Sometimes it's chicken and rice with steamed carrots and broccoli. As long as he sees you eating with him - just some toast if you like, it doesn't matter that much if it's not the same thing. Just let him play and relax about what the actual food is.

seaweedhead Sun 18-Aug-13 21:32:44

Well it sounds like lunch is his main meal of the day so yes give him veg! I know what you mean- it could seem weird to offer him something that you wouldn't normally have at that time of day.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 18-Aug-13 21:29:57

It makes absolutely no difference in the long run. You could even do vegetables at breakfast.

You know him best - try him with new food at the time he's most amenable to it. He won't grow up weird, I promise.

Pascha Sun 18-Aug-13 21:27:40

You are being a bit wierd, tbh. there's no law stopping giving veg any time you want grin. The baby won't care.

u32ng Sun 18-Aug-13 21:20:50

Barely a fortnight into BLW and DS isn't always awake/in the mood for food at dinner time. So he hasn't had a lot of veg experience yet. Lunch is the meal most often given at the moment, but it seems weird to me to give sweet potato/carrot/etc at lunchtime!

Is it just me being weird about the lunch/veg thing or do I just need to be patient & offer the veg at dinnertime when possible until he is more regularly sitting with us for dinner?

Maybe a weird question but I am just curious to know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now