6 month old wont eat.

(38 Posts)
GoingUpInTheWorld Sat 20-Apr-13 15:20:26

Dd is 6 months old, i started weaning 5 days ago, with hippo organic porridge.

Dd didn't seem keen as obviously didn't know what it was, however as the days have gone on, she wont swallow the porridge at all just spits it out.

I rang the health visitor who advised giving dd half a weetabix instead, tried that this morning and dd still wont swallow it.

Also how many of you use baby jars, and how many of you batch cook meals and then freeze for your baby?

How long does it take for babies to accept food and swallow, i naively thought by day 3 dd would start to take it.

Jenijena Sun 21-Apr-13 21:57:02

My local library had loads of books on weaning. Mashed banana is v quick and tasty!

yy the teeth make the gums proper hard.

m boobs can vouch for that!

it's also useful to gnaw on carrot sticks when teething.

Remind your DH that baby gums have teeth under them and are quite hard - not like adult gums when the teeth have fallen out.

Smartiepants79 Sun 21-Apr-13 07:33:22

Try a bit of both.
I would buy some ready made purée until you know what she likes then you can make in batch.
I bought flavoured porridge and my daughter loved that.

lulabelleg Sat 20-Apr-13 18:30:44

my DD ate practically nothing from a spoon until 9 months when she went straight for meatballs and pasta. It was pretty funny to watch, and very messy! We saw a paedeatrician at that time for other things and she dud not overly worry, she recommended some baby vits with iron. I found it horribly stressful at the time but they just get there at different rates. Good luck

Fairylea Sat 20-Apr-13 18:28:56

I did traditional weaning. You don't have to do blw if you don't feel comfortable. But neither do you have to even see the health visitor let alone listen to one. Ds is 10 months old and hasn't seen once since his few weeks old discharge from them at their home visit!

Follow your instincts. Offer different flavours and lots of the usual milk as normal. Babies like sweet flavours. Apple puree, banana puree etc all make good first foods. I've never given baby rice or baby porridge to either of my dc.

Don't get stressed about it... you don't see any dc going off to university with a suitcase of Ellas pouches! They all get there eventually.

TallGiraffe Sat 20-Apr-13 18:24:02

Why not try offering her lunch instead of breakfast? I think a lot of babies aren't that fussed about eating first thing.

noblegiraffe Sat 20-Apr-13 18:20:06

I meant you should cut up grapes, not avoid cut up grapes!

noblegiraffe Sat 20-Apr-13 18:19:32

Avoid honey until 1 year (risk of botulism), whole nuts until 5 (choking risk, peanut butter is fine from 6 months), cut up grapes (choking risk), don't add salt to food or give salty food, give full fat rather than low-fat.

Anything else goes, really smile

cow's milk she can't have as a drink until a year, but it's okay in cereal.

(it's because you don't want to risk her having too much cow's milk and not getting enough important nutrients that BM or formula contains)

that sounds like a good breakfast.

GoingUpInTheWorld Sat 20-Apr-13 18:07:21

I ve just bought a hand blender, baby weaning cook book, and some ice cube trays.

Its all very confusing as everyone gives different advice. Doctor told me dd couldnt have cows milk in cereal till 12 months, hv told me she could!

You just dont know what to believe.

Could i try mashed banana with plain natrual yogurt for breakfast instead?

noblegiraffe Sat 20-Apr-13 17:38:42

If your DH still doesn't want to go for blw, then Annabel Karmel's Complete Baby and Toddler meal planner has good recipes and a step by step guide on introducing solids starting with purées.

Pearly - same here - DD was 9-19mo before she actually started realizing the stuff was food!
now she eats everything (she's 16mo)

please buy the babyled weaning book - it should allay DH's fears.

DD did BLW too - they really don't digest anything to start with, they just learn to chew and manipulate it in their mouth.

they learn to do this quicker if they are BLWd, and it's better for their speech and language development.

have a look at www.babyledweaning.com - i think they sell the book through there.

PearlyWhites Sat 20-Apr-13 17:26:51

Remember " food before one is just for fun"

PearlyWhites Sat 20-Apr-13 17:25:43

Don't worry my ds is nearly 9 months and still doesn't have any interest in anything other than milk.

Porridge and weetabix are tasteless goop. Why would anyone want food if thats what it tasted like?

Try something thats has a taste. If she doesnt want any, dont stress. Shes still getting all she needs from milk so she doesnt need food. Its supposed to be fn.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Sat 20-Apr-13 17:09:20

I would stop weaning for a few days and buy a book. Read it thoroughly.

Apple purée recipes available online. Or lots of BLW advice online.

Your DH is not speaking factually.

Your HV is not giving you good advice.

I feel a bit sorry for you as I do understand how stressful it is!

YokoUhOh Sat 20-Apr-13 17:05:55

Search for the BLW thread on here, lots of helpful advice and recipe ideas.

DS is not quite six months and I put the odd sweet potato chip/stick of cheese/finger of toast in front of him and he plays with it. Occasionally he even swallows some. It doesn't matter because their main source of nutrition until they're 12mo is milk (breast/formula).

SirBoobAlot Sat 20-Apr-13 17:04:03

HV is talking bollocks smile

My HV said some babies aren't ready until seven months so don't worry.

Can you compromise with dh and do a bit of both? Mashed up main meal and finger foods for lunch?

SirBoobAlot Sat 20-Apr-13 16:59:46

All food needs breaking down, doesn't matter whether it is puree or not.

Most people are worried about choking, but especially whilst the tongue thrust reflex is so strong, they are highly unlikely to do so.

Might be worth doing a bit of research on BLW to reassure him?

But seriously, she doesn't sound like she likes it right now, so leave it, and try again in a little while.

GoingUpInTheWorld Sat 20-Apr-13 16:59:03

I did ask the hv if i could delay weaning and was told no it had to be 6 months to start. Everyone says different things, you dont know what to believe.

Im going to buy a baby recipe book

GoingUpInTheWorld Sat 20-Apr-13 16:55:58

How do i cook it, just boil it in water?

Dh said he felt the stomach had to get used to food that didn't need breaking down first and he was also concerned that some food like cucumber sticks would be too hard on her gums etc and also he was concerned about chocking.

SirBoobAlot Sat 20-Apr-13 16:55:50

Oh, and ignore HV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now