BLWers - cutlery?!

(3 Posts)
JumpHerWho Wed 06-Feb-13 12:35:51

When did you introduce cutlery and how?

DS likes his food, has a go at most stuff although there's quite a lot of expansive sweeping entire meal on to floor still! Putting on weight and happy and sleeping well so not bothered despite MiL disapproval of method

Anyway I am a bit chicken about things like yoghurt and soup - I'm trying to offer something like this at least twice a week and give him a spoon to experiment with.

Should I start putting down a spork with every meal so he can start to practise? We mostly have pasta dishes, sarnies, meat and two veg or casseroles with rice or potatoes, sometimes a stirfry, cheese on toast, scrambled eggs with toasted baguette, that sort of thing.

gallicgirl Wed 06-Feb-13 12:44:41

I was chicken about soup etc and to be honest DD wouldn't take anything off a spoon anyway so it was hands only.
She started nursery at 12 months and was using a spoon within a couple of weeks which made me a bit suspicious of how much they were allowing BLW.

We had to try a few different cutlery designs before we found a shape that suited. She's now 2, happily uses spoon and fork successfully and sometimes has a baby knife to play with.

Hands rule initially though.

JumpHerWho Wed 06-Feb-13 13:46:26

Thanks, that's interesting. I should say DS is 13 months so I guess I do need to let him have a go more! I know the key with BLW is variety but it's easy to make easy stuff... even rice and couscous are a bit scary. With yoghurt he tends to use his hands whilst waving the spoon around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now