Chocolate for a baby?

(28 Posts)
SwivelHips Thu 13-Dec-12 09:48:01

Sorry not a weaning question but I'm in here a lot at the minute smile
I can sometimes be a lone voice in this house, so as we approach Christmas what's my argument (aside from NO) when DSD or DSSs try and give DS chocolate? Not a lot of support from DH with regards anything they do really. I know I'll get "oh its only the once, special occasion" blah de blah. Or is this just me being first time mum worrying about nothing??

MoaningMingeWhimpersAgain Sat 15-Dec-12 11:03:45

I think it's one of those things that tends to change between the PFB and other children. My eldest didn't have chocolate until a chocolate birthday cake when she turned one. Younger one has chocolate muffin fed to him by said eldest at about 7 months. Either way, a choc button or two doesn't matter much in the long run, and is quite different to munching on curly wurlys in the pushchair on the way to school.

I do agree though that at this age, they have no idea so why give them sweets so early and I would discourage it but not freak out if a few buttons were given. My gripe would more be that if you have decided no chocolate, everyone follows it. People sneakily giving my baby something I have said no to, that would make me pretty pissed off.

TortillaDeMaiz Sat 15-Dec-12 11:48:53

Sam - I don't know why exactly but it does! (Perhaps 1 chocolate button wont cause any harm, thou, but for a 6.5 month baby I wouldn't dare trying).

Alligatorpie Wed 19-Dec-12 08:52:58

I wouldn't. Baby isn't aware of what he is missing. Babies don't need added sugar or caffeine ( unless it comes through breast milk of course :-) )

My dd2 is 6.5 months and won't be having added sugar until she is one. I don't think it is a pfb thing, but i don't think it is necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now