Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

chicken pox vaccine. where can I get in London?? please recommend a private clinic

(44 Posts)
bumbleandbumble Mon 07-Oct-13 14:43:03

says it all really. a quick google suggested some place in south London. I am in the north so prefer north or central.

can anyone tell me where and how much it cost?

ripple11 Thu 10-Oct-13 12:05:53

Richmond any good?

http://richmondpractice.co.uk/Paediatrician.html

We had it done here and it was fine.

You would need to ring and check on prices.

bumbleandbumble Sun 13-Oct-13 15:12:49

no i am in north london!

juneau Sun 13-Oct-13 15:34:56

Just be warned that it's not infallible. DS1 had the vaccine and still got chicken pox!

CatherinaJTV Sun 13-Oct-13 16:25:48

just like chicken pox - DS had chicken pox twice, it appears the disease is not infallible either...

WaitingForPeterWimsey Thu 21-Nov-13 23:31:05

Baby jabs - Harley st

WaitingForPeterWimsey Thu 21-Nov-13 23:31:37

We didn't have it there btw, but I know they offer it.

tethersend Thu 21-Nov-13 23:36:00

Citydoc on city road just off old street is where I got DD's done.

tethersend Thu 21-Nov-13 23:37:23
ReallyTired Mon 30-Dec-13 11:18:13

What about Breakspher medical

www.breakspearmedical.com/files/travel.html

Its really easy to get to Hemel Hempstead from north London using the M1.

Smalltoothbrush Fri 24-Jan-14 14:44:31

Samedaydoctor has clinics in N and Central london, that's where my kids had theirs. Breakspear is alternative to say the least!

Cornwall73 Tue 04-Mar-14 17:47:50

From what age can babies have the vaccine?

lotsofcheese Tue 04-Mar-14 17:50:41

1 year, or so I was told. Another month before I can get DD vaccinated.

Damnautocorrect Tue 04-Mar-14 17:50:58

Beaconsfield?

bumbleymummy Wed 05-Mar-14 13:00:55

Just wondering if those of you considering the chickenpox vaccine are aware that you may need boosters to keep immunity throughout adulthood especially if the vaccine is introduced as part of the UK vaccine schedule (it has been introduced in Ireland already). The US introduced a second childhood booster vaccine in 2006. More adult boosters may be required if CP is not circulating in the community. I just think it's worth considering the long term plan.

hazeyjane Wed 05-Mar-14 13:04:16

At our gp's they will order the vaccine in, and then you have to pay for it. It is around £120 (2 jabs are needed, each is £60).

They will probably need a booster when older.

Bonsoir Wed 05-Mar-14 13:06:11

My DD has had this - and yes, you need to have it twice.

imip Wed 05-Mar-14 13:08:14

At your local gp. I got a prescription from the gp and then the nurse administer it.

My dcs have only had the one shot also. I only found out recently there are two!

bumbleymummy Wed 05-Mar-14 17:55:00

At least twice...

hazeyjane Wed 05-Mar-14 18:41:03

...possibly.

which is why we were told to have ds's immunity checked when older.

There are other vaccines that require boosters also - tetanus, diptheria every ten years and flu annually to name but a few.

DD had two injections, ~ four weeks apart, when she was two.

bumbleymummy Wed 05-Mar-14 19:16:59

Actually, new advice on tetanus is that it is 5 vaccines for life rather than boosters every 10 years. Also, you don't need to get the flu jab. Most people don't. Complications from CP in adulthood are more likely and more unpleasant. I would be particularly worried about a daughter's immunity when she was pregnant. No one really knows how often boosters are needed yet.

hazeyjane Wed 05-Mar-14 19:20:30

re tetanus - unless you travel abroad, (discussed this with nurse yesterday!)

no they don't know, it could be that no booster is needed which is why it should be recommended to have immunity checked, when vaccine is originally given.

bumbleymummy Wed 05-Mar-14 19:56:12

How often should they check their immunity hazey?

hazeyjane Wed 05-Mar-14 20:27:09

Well, ds's paed said that in Japan, adults who were vaccinated 20 years ago still had immunity, but that most studies had only run for 10 years, so best to get his immunity checked when he hits 13.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now