Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Meningitis B Vaccination

(6 Posts)
giddywithglee Wed 24-Jul-13 14:12:53

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links to petitions etc, so I apologise if I am breaking a MN rule, but Meningitis UK, Meningitis Research and the Meningitis Trust are campaigning hard to get the JCVI to change their ruling on the Meningitis B vaccine.

I don't work for any of the charities, but we lost our 4 year old niece to meningococcal septicaemia and I feel very strongly that the vaccine should be part of the routine immunisations all children receive.

If you want to add your voice to the campaign please sign the petition here: [http://www.meningitis-trust.org/about-us/campaigns/beat-it-now/]

giddywithglee Wed 24-Jul-13 14:13:48
CatherinaJTV Thu 25-Jul-13 15:50:53

Giddy - signing now. I am SO sorry about your niece sad flowers

MouseSquirrelMum Sat 27-Jul-13 00:04:02

Hi
So sorry to here another sad story. My daughter had it last year age 2. She is very very lucky to be fully recovered, but we can't let this disease continue.
I've put the petition on the petition board too and MNHQ are considering my request for a mn campaign here if anyone else wants to join that request

Filakia Sat 14-Dec-13 09:56:16

Thank you for starting this thread. I read the news yesterday and am disappointed that the vaccine won't be available for all children in the UK.

I would support a mn campaign and am considering going private. Can anyone point to some more reliable information about the vaccine? Has it been rolled out in other countries? How effective is the vaccine (I read somewhere that it would be about 70%effective)?

How common is the bacterial form of meningitis I also read (daily mail whilst browsing for something else) that two children have died of meningitis b recently, one baby and one 6 year old boy.

Link here and apologies for dm but I think the facts should be correct?

[http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522472/Seven-year-old-boy-dies-meningitis-amid-growing-public-health-concerns.html]

Filakia Sat 14-Dec-13 09:57:31

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now