Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pneumovax - bad reaction every time. Anyone else? Dr skeptical :(

(9 Posts)
Whereisegg Sat 20-Jul-13 22:19:03

Every 5 years I have to have this jab die to no immunity.
Have had 4 so far and due again this year.

Side effects are listed as slight swelling, light fever, ache in arm.

What actually happens is a completely immobile arm for 5-7 days, entire arm is very hot to the touch, and due to the completely unrelenting nature of the pain and heat, I average 2 (broken) hours of sleep a night.

Thinking of asking (crying for) something decent from the gp this time round, just so I can cope a bit better, but all vax nurses have NEVER heard of this reaction.
It can't be just me, surely?!

Crumbledwalnuts Sun 21-Jul-13 10:16:42

It looks like you are in the less than one per cent and your health care providers should know about or at least show an interest in this reaction you are having. This is from an American website:

Seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately if any of the following rare but serious side effects from pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine are experienced:

a serious allergic reaction including swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; hives; paleness; weakness; dizziness; or a fast heart beat within a few minutes to a few hours after the shot; or
high fever; or
behavior changes.
About half of those who get PPV have very mild side effects, such as redness or pain where the shot is given. Less and 1% develop fever, muscle aches, or more severe local reactions.

Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Contact your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

Crumbledwalnuts Sun 21-Jul-13 10:21:26

This is from the package insert of Pheumovax 23 made by Merck. here

The most common adverse reactions, reported in >10% of subjects vaccinated with PNEUMOVAX 23 in clinical trials, were: injection-site pain/soreness/tenderness (60.0%), injection-site swelling/induration (20.3%), headache (17.6%), injection-site erythema (16.4%), asthenia and fatigue (13.2%), and myalgia (11.9%). (6.1)

NEUMOVAX 23 is approved for use in persons 50 years of age or older and persons aged ≥2 years who are at increased risk for pneumococcal disease. (1.1, 14.1)

4.1 Hypersensitivity
Do not administer PNEUMOVAX 23 to individuals with a history of anaphylactic/anaphylactoid or severe allergic reaction to any component of the vaccine [See Description (11)].

For subjects aged 65 years or older, injection-site adverse reaction rate was higher following revaccination (79.3%) than following initial vaccination (52.9%). The proportion of subjects reporting injection site discomfort that interfered with or prevented usual activity or injection site induration ≥4 inches was higher following revaccination (30.6%) than following initial vaccination (10.4%). Injection site reactions typically resolved by 5 days following vaccination.

Whereisegg Sun 21-Jul-13 12:08:21

Thank you so much!

The only response I've had is the very obvious assumption I'm exaggerating, or the offer of a different limb to be injected.

Not sure how a pain that makes me sob for hours would be better in my arse or leg than in my arm!

Crumbledwalnuts Sun 21-Jul-13 12:32:43

Show them the package insert - I mean according to that they ought to be taking it much more seriously!

Whereisegg Sun 21-Jul-13 17:28:20

I will take this in as a screen shot as gauge the need to cry as well!

Whereisegg Sun 21-Jul-13 17:29:18

* and not as!

I'm really excited that they might have to take me seriously!

Frontdoorstep Mon 22-Jul-13 18:12:31

If you have such a bad reaction then why do you bother having the vaccine?

Whereisegg Tue 23-Jul-13 12:18:51

Because I have no immunity due to a spleenectomy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now