Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Rotavirus vaccine

(46 Posts)
bumbleymummy Mon 01-Jul-13 08:14:43

Just read that it's being added to the vaccine schedule this year. What do you think? Will you be getting it at 2 and 3 months or would you wait until later?

CatherinaJTV Mon 01-Jul-13 13:46:36

If you get the Rotavirus vaccine, you may as well take it as early as possible...

Sidge Mon 01-Jul-13 14:01:58

I'll be giving it from tomorrow and we can't give it to babies after 24 weeks.

There's a pretty small window for the vaccine to be given.

bumbleymummy Mon 01-Jul-13 16:06:50

Wasn't there a study or recommendation by the CDC about the rotavirus vaccine not being given to BF babies because it doesn't work as well?

bumbleymummy Mon 01-Jul-13 16:07:00

Wasn't there a study or recommendation by the CDC about the rotavirus vaccine not being given to BF babies because it doesn't work as well?

CatherinaJTV Mon 01-Jul-13 19:38:35

no, the CDC recommended not to breastfeed immediately after the vaccine so that the anti-microbials in the breastmilk won't kill the vaccine rota virus. So we are talking about holding off for a couple of hours, not on principle.

Exclusively breastfed babies are as well protected from severe rotavirus as vaccinated babies are. However, this protection goes away as soon as the baby gets any solids (or formula). So for protection extending into the second year of life the vaccine may well be worth it.

Sidge Mon 01-Jul-13 20:30:26

The literature we have been given says there is no need to withhold fluids/milk for any period after being given the oral vaccine - the Green Book says:

There are no restrictions on an infant’s consumption of food or drink before or after vaccination.

There is nothing to say it won't work as well in bf babies.

bumbleymummy Mon 01-Jul-13 20:33:13

Except you have to give it in the first 24 weeks Catherina. I think I'll just stick to bf. rotavirus is most risky to young babies iirc. I don't think either of my boys ever had it.

stargirl1701 Mon 01-Jul-13 20:36:38

We paid for it privately last year as DD would miss out. 2 doses - one at 3 months and one at 4 months. Oral not injection.

No point in waiting. The risk is greatest under 12 months.

CatherinaJTV Mon 01-Jul-13 21:02:02

what stargirl says - you can do both, breastfeed and vaccinate smile

Sidge: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20442687

Beachcomber Mon 01-Jul-13 21:20:56

Aren't the rotavirus vaccines contaminated with porcine circovirus? And known to cause intussusception and shed rotavirus?

My children are passed the age of it being relevant to us but there is no way they would be having this. Much better to EBF (although I appreciate that this isn't always possible or desired.)

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Mon 01-Jul-13 21:22:54

Really pleased this is being added to the UK schedule at last.

Sidge Mon 01-Jul-13 21:31:26

Thanks Catherina, I wonder why the UK literature doesn't say to advise women to avoid breastfeeding after immunisation? <ponders>

Beachcomber as I understand it the risk of intussuseption increases after 25 weeks, hence why the vaccine is to be completed by 24 weeks.

It's all a bit new to us lot that will be giving it as well! Have been madly reading the literature!!

Beachcomber Mon 01-Jul-13 21:39:22

Do you have information on why the risk of intussuseption increases after 25 weeks sidge? Would that date remain the same regardless of feeding method, weight, whether the baby was born at term, etc?

Are you obliged to inform parents about the porcine circovirus contamination? I appreciate that it is mentioned in the package insert , but that document is pretty long and I don't know how many parents really read all 22 pages of it.

Wwendy33 Tue 02-Jul-13 17:37:48

My baby was due to have the rotavirus vaccine today but I have held off for a few days until I have had time to do some research. My baby has reflux and therefore I would not observe many i of the early indications of intussuseption. Since the vaccine was only available yesterday (if i had given birth a week earlier it would not have been offered) and as the outcome for intussuseption detected late is concerning I am considering declining.

SucksToBeMe Tue 02-Jul-13 17:42:58

DD is due this next month, i'm also unsure if I will go through with it.

stargirl1701 Tue 02-Jul-13 18:24:58

I've read through that link beachcomber. It seems the FDA concluded that the benefit of the vaccination outweighed the risk.

JoTheHot Tue 02-Jul-13 18:48:31

It wouldn't be very helpful for GP's to make a feature of the circovirus contamination, as there are no known health consequences. Mentioning it would just generate unwarranted unease and suspicion. Bit like mentioning it on this thread.

Beachcomber Tue 02-Jul-13 18:53:27

Yes, stargirl they do. I just think that parents should be informed very clearly at the time of vaccination about the three issues; viral shedding, contamination with porcine circovirus, and to be vigilant for symptoms of intussuseption.

I appreciate that the information is on the package insert but I wonder how many parents read the whole insert before consenting to the vaccine.

At one point the FDA actually withdrew their recommendation for Rotarix due to the porcine circovirus contamination - although I believe they have reinstated it now.

JoTheHot Tue 02-Jul-13 19:06:02

Do you not think parents should also be informed of the benefits? You give the impression that you only think the drawbacks are important.

Beachcomber Tue 02-Jul-13 19:10:57

X posts with Jothehot.

Well I suppose it is a tricky one really. The FDA don't seem to think the contamination is an issue now, but when the analysis was done, nobody expected to find the porcine circovirus there and it shouldn't be there. I think parents have a right to know of its existence , and it seems that the manufacturers agree with me because they mention it in the package insert.

I know when I took my PFB for her baby jabs that I wouldn't have imagined in a million years that a vaccine could contain foreign body DNA.

I think people have a right to know these things. It is called informed consent and forms one of the foundations of medical ethics.

Beachcomber Tue 02-Jul-13 19:12:39

Another X post!

Yes, they should be informed of the benefits - I don't think I have said otherwise smile

Beachcomber Tue 02-Jul-13 19:15:07

Sorry for multiple posts - I said 'jabs' in the above post and just wanted to clear any confusion up as Rotarix is not given by injection - it is given orally.

DoodleAlley Tue 02-Jul-13 19:24:22

I'm concerned of the risk that introducing even a milder version of the virus might upset the system of my refluxy DD.

I was investigating this last night.

I'm going to go with all other vaccinations as I did with DS but the risks of it unsettling her system and worsening her reflux seem too great.

90% of children have has rotavirus by the time they are three. Admittedly on average 1 in 10 will need to go into hospital due to dehydration but thats an awful lot that don't.

After having gastro DS' reflux got worse and he go temporary lacoste intolerance.

DDs system is already in a state of imbalance with her reflux meds I don't want to add another thing into the mix.

And then there is the uncategorised risk of things like apnea.

As an aside I don't fancy the idea her nappies might be contagious! But that wouldn't stop me.

Given the rotavirus doesn't have complications like blindness etc even if you recover it seems like too muc of a risk.

probablysilly Tue 02-Jul-13 19:34:52

Sounds like you've thought it through and come to the right decision for you Doodle.

I don't think I would go for it if I had another baby. I didn't worry about it with either of my two boys so I don't see why I should start worrying about it now just because there's a vaccine for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now