Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Andrew Wakefield speaks out

(181 Posts)
babanouche Thu 18-Apr-13 00:02:03

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7kbWfsygG4

Sorry if this has been done to death. I've never been to this part of MN before. This is a really interesting clip, worth watching to the very end. My LO is due MMR soon and I have my doubts now.

Previous to watching this I was sure he was a bad scientist. He says the measles outbreak in wales may be due to the vaccine not working. He also throws doubt on the people who approved the triple vaccine & challenges certain professionals to a televised public debate. Very thought provoking stuff.

MOTduesoon Thu 18-Apr-13 00:06:13

Please just get your child vaccinated; for his/her sake and to provide protection for those who can't have the MMR.

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 18-Apr-13 00:09:48

andrew wakefield is a discredited idiot - and i say this as a mother of a son with autism.

my son was autistic before the mmr.
he also had a life threatening child hood disease that meant a 2 month stay in hospital and a 2 year recovery. a vaccine did become available for his illness a few years later.
prevention is way better than hindsight.

Oh FFS.

This guy has been struck off. His work discredited.

Get your kids vaccinated.

babanouche Thu 18-Apr-13 00:22:28

Umm, I have every intention of having my child vaccinated. I have doubts which mean I'm questioning what we're being told & I might look at single vacs instead.

I know he's a discredited idiot. That's why the clip is so interesting but
I see from the time of all your posts that none of have actually watched it. At least certainly not in its entirety.

recall Thu 18-Apr-13 00:54:55

I watched it all the way through, and he reminded me of David Icke.

recall Thu 18-Apr-13 00:56:30

It would help his cause if what he was saying was evidence based, it just sounds like conspiracy theories.

sashh Thu 18-Apr-13 05:38:09

Yes of course the out break in Wales is because the vaccine doesn't work and nothing what so ever to do with the really really low take up in the area. hmm

I started watching, but he started telling lies, and more lies. I only got to 1.14.

Give your child MMR. Do not 'look into' singles, there isn't one for mumps and would you really want to give your child 1960's 'technology'?

That's what vaccines are, they are a form of technology being developed and changed all the time.

The reason we still use BCG is because no one has developed a better one. The reason we use MMR is because it is better then singles.

I didnt need to watch it to know he is full of shit.

The man has a lot to answer for and doesnt deserve an audience!

coorong Thu 18-Apr-13 07:55:41

www.spiked-online.com/site/article/10114/

There is an article in the daily telegraph saying in a robust society you can cope with the likes of Wakefield, and assess what he has to say as nonsense - but the above article reviews wake fields history. The article says he was motivated by greed, he committed fraud and was not seen as a maverick, but rather an incompetent scientist and doctor. If it weren't true, the journo would have been sued for libel and the article retracted. Wakefield has enough supporters to mount a legal defence. Clearly however, he hasn't, so clutching at straws (ie reduced to releasing youtube videos).

NotTreadingGrapes Thu 18-Apr-13 07:59:40

I think he is now so low down he looks and sounds completely insane.

He's like that woman on Sunset Boulevard or Miss Havisham with her wedding dress. Muttering inanities to himself and thinking anyone is still listening.

Sad sad man. And dangerous too.

NotTreadingGrapes Thu 18-Apr-13 08:00:13

OP- read enough objective material about Wakefield not to have to watch his own propaganda btw.

WaynettaSlobsLover Thu 18-Apr-13 08:00:44

I support dr Andrew Wakefield. My stance on that wont change due to personal experience and a very very strong gut instinct. I am also a former HCP.

Neither of my young children have had the MMR. I don't agree with vaccinations. They both had chickenpox last year, my dd quite severely, but with the normal care and rest as well as monitoring them, they recovered well and quickly.

I don't give a fig what other people think of my decisions. Facts are, pharmaceutical companies make billions out of vaccines every year that don't have a 100% safety record. Facts are, we are not shown the children who have measles, mumps and rubella and shock horror, survive them. I support Andrew Wakefield because I believe he tells the real story, and the fact he has deliberately put his career on the line to whistleblow says a lot to me. I've been following his findings and reading the research for years now and am very glad with the decision I took NOT to vaccinate my children.

AmandinePoulain Thu 18-Apr-13 08:05:17

I refuse to watch it. He does not deserve our attention, nor does he deserve any more publicity. He was struck off for a reason.

The reason I am sitting in the middle of a measles outbreak, and the reason that I had to subject my 8mo baby to an extra injection 2 weeks ago is due to the low uptake of the MMR around 15 years ago - the teenagers that were babies during the peak of the scare are the ones now suffering with measles.

Please don't listen to this man, he is a fraud angry

bumbleymummy Thu 18-Apr-13 08:06:00

Sassh, another post where you are criticising the single measles vaccine. I asked you about your comments on the other thread but you didn't reply - I'll try again. What do you have to support the idea that there is something wrong with the singles measles vaccine wrt to the protection it offers against measles? You mentioned something about it causing vaccine damage on the other thread - do you have a source for this? One of the single measles vaccines offered by private clinics in the UK (Rouvax) is manufactured by Sanofi Pasteur, who also manufacture Pediacel (5-in-1) and that measles vaccine is still in use in France. Do you really think there is a reason that we should not trust them as a manufacturer to provide a 'safe' and effective vaccine against measles or did you not trust then wrt the 5-in-1 vaccine too?

WaynettaSlobsLover Thu 18-Apr-13 08:06:35

And inevitably predictably there will of course be propaganda spread about dr Wakefield to discredit and ruin his reputation. I am no conspiracy theorist, it annoys me mostly, but the money making and constant prolific scaremongering to vaccinate, particularly with the MMR, is undeniable.

It's interesting also how much diet, lifestyle, environmental factors and most importantly the adequacy of care during a bout of severe illness can affect the outcome. Most importantly, being vaccinated does NOT guarantee your child will not get an illness.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 18-Apr-13 08:08:29

How did you get a job as a HCP if you don't agree with vaccination? I had to have Hep A and Hep B before even starting my degree, and we had to take our vaccination cards in with us to university before being allowed to treat patients.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Thu 18-Apr-13 08:09:09

He's no longer a doctor! Incompetent charlatan of a man. FFS.

bumbleymummy Thu 18-Apr-13 08:09:39

Amandine, the reason you are sitting in the middle of a measles outbreak is because the singles measles vaccine was withdrawn in the middle of a huge media scare about the MMR leaving Parents with no alternative to the MMR to protect against measles.

No Waynetta but it can seriously reduce the effects of the illness and slow down the spread, helping to protect those who cannot be vaccinated for actual reasons.

You are entitled to your opinion. But your support of this man is very deluded.

WaynettaSlobsLover Thu 18-Apr-13 08:10:07

OP it's completely your choice. Do your research, trust your gut instinct, and go into any decision with your eyes wide open.

Leaving this thread now but wishing you the best xx

AmandinePoulain Thu 18-Apr-13 08:10:11

bumbley where does she criticise the single measles vaccine? She just says that the MMR is better - which it is - it protects against mumps, which isn't available as a single vaccine; and saves the need to be stuck with a needle 6 times to protect against 2 diseases (or 9 if mumps was available). That is 'better' in my opinion.

Forgetfulmog Thu 18-Apr-13 08:11:53

Agree with (most of) the other posters, don't listen to this man. He has been discredited & struck off. Vaccines were introduced to protect people & prevent the spread of very serious illnesses. Vaccination is why Smallpox has now been eradicated.

For anyone blathering on about vaccines being dangerous or pharmaceutical companies earning millions, do you bypass drugs altogether then? Never use Calpol or ibuprofen or bongela? No, didn't think so.

Get. Your. Child. Vaccinated.

bumbleymummy Thu 18-Apr-13 08:12:47

"would you really want to give your child 1960's 'technology'? "

She also criticised it on another thread, which I did mention in my post.

tilder Thu 18-Apr-13 08:13:42

Ahh so the problem is people making money out of vaccinations?

Do you realise the anti vacc lobby is a money making industry in its own right? That people are giving the single jabs to make money?

Nice to see so many people with an accurate view of Wakefield.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now