Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

MMR with autoimmune hypothyroidism?

(16 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 15-Apr-13 20:08:47

I have found out from my medical records that I had a measles vaccination when I was 1 (many, many years ago!). Following my request for this information, my GP's has offered me the MMR.

There was no body available to discuss this (a receptionist called to tell me) so I have booked and appt for an MMR next week - many reasons: I live in South Wales, work in healthcare, have friends with immuno compromised children.

I was diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism about 3 1/2 years ago.

From my reading I'm aware that there may be links between having the MMR and subsequently developing an autoimmune condition but I haven't found anything about having the jab if you already have one (and therefore a predisposition to others).

Can anyone shed any light on the subject for me?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 15-Apr-13 21:41:58

Bump?

Wotme Mon 15-Apr-13 21:48:37

Get a blood test for antibodies.. Then you can decide if you need to think about having the vaccination if necessary
Hth ...

SimLondon Mon 15-Apr-13 21:50:21

If you've had the measles vaccine as a child, then you should be fine :-)

I think Dr's are keen to give measles vaccine to anyone and everyone right now.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 15-Apr-13 22:08:12

Good plan.

I'll call to book in for a blood test tomorrow. They weren't keen to do that (probably because of the cost), but hopefully if I explain it'll be ok.

Wotme Mon 15-Apr-13 22:14:27

Yy the NHS won't discuss blood tests with me at all.
They just keep parroting that we need to repeat the MMR...
I'm bit sure if they will do it tbh

We've had it done privately.
My ds2 has had 1 MMR and about 95% are immune after this one.
They do the second to catch the 5 %

But they won't talk you through that IME

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 15-Apr-13 22:17:57

How do you go about getting it done privately? Where do you look for a clinic, or might my surgery do it if I paid?

sashh Tue 16-Apr-13 04:55:14

Don't know about the MMR but I have auto immune arthritis (big explanation could be given but don't really need it)

Anyway I have had several vax as an adult. The only vax my Dr recommend I didn't have was yellow fever because I was taking immunosupressants and it is a live vaccine.

Since diagnosis I have regular flu jabs and I have had jabs for pneumonia and rabies. There has never been an issue and I haven't even had a sore arm.

If I was in south wales and offered the MMR I'd take it.

We are probably a similar age, I had Measles vaccine at about 1.

notfluffy Tue 16-Apr-13 07:32:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wotme Tue 16-Apr-13 21:02:49

Google private doctors.. Or vaccination clinics.
We went to Harley same day docs.
It cost 100 and they were great.
Waiting on the results now.

Fwiw I think they ought to offer you the blood test tbh.
I just didn't want my child to have a vaccine be didn't need, I'm not expecting it to do him any harm tbh.
But your case is more genuine IYSWIM

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 16-Apr-13 21:20:55

I've been advised (by the receptionist hmm ) to keep the appt and discuss with the nurse about having a blood test to check for immunity rather than just ploughing on and having the MMR.

Does anyone have any links to research linking the MMR to autoimmune conditions?

notfluffy Tue 16-Apr-13 21:48:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 22-Apr-13 09:28:14

Good news!

I kept the appointment. The nurse was all ready to give me the MMR but when I explained that I had had a measles vaccination as a baby, had mumps as a child and had my rubella status checked when I was pregnant and that I suffer from autoimmune hypothyroidism so wasn't keen to have the MMR unless I wasn't already immune she had no problem taking blood to test for my immunity.

Hopefully the results will be back within a week.

Lamazeroo Tue 23-Apr-13 13:58:09

Good result. I also have Hashimotos and when I found out I wasn't immune to rubella I paid to have it as a single rather than MMR. My family is RIDDLED with auto immune diseases. For this reason, among others, my DS has only had single measles. I'm really pleased your surgery took your concerns seriously.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 29-Apr-13 11:57:41

Even better news today!

I do have immunity to all 3 (measles, mumps and rubella) so no need to worry any more - phew!

CatherinaJTV Mon 29-Apr-13 13:50:59

yeah - congratulations and thank you for the update, especially with such a happy ending smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now