Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

MMR or not, and where to go for single vaccs? Lone parent, would love advice

(183 Posts)
missperelman Fri 15-Mar-13 19:49:28

hello, i think i have decided to go for single vaccs for mumps and measles for my one year old daughter. i wondered if anyone knew where was best to go for this in London? the childrens immunisation clinic on harley st? is there cheaper, does anyone know? also, would you not bother with rubella until the child itself is of childbearing age. ??
confused as to which way to go, even to have them at all. but i think i will do mumps and measles separately. aaaargh. confused
laura
lone parent

Drlinenic Sat 06-Apr-13 22:00:15

Interesting debate. No doubt very topical with current outbreak of measles in South Wales where large number of parents had chosen not to vaccinate their kids and babies. Now they are lining up to get their kids and all vaccinated.
My father was posted in Africa and Asia for work and my parents made sure we were vaccinated on time. I have seen my share of tragedies - friends who had childhood polio to deaths from brain haemorrhage due to various preventable illnesses including malaria.
I am concerned because I have friends who have kids under 12 months of age and they live in Wales. They will be exposed to measles even before they have a chance to be vaccinated and they did not make a choice to not get vaccinated.
It is ridiculous how some people want to be carrier of bad news (read serious illnesses) by refusing to vaccinate themselves and their kids. These people have no answer when you challenge them with scientific studies and data which shows that many parts of this world have managed to eradicate diseases by careful and persistent vaccinations across generations.

seeker Fri 22-Mar-13 06:10:39

I wonder why the anti vaccination brigade are so...tricksy? Why won't they debate properly?

rosi7 Fri 22-Mar-13 05:50:01

And btw, Seeker, there is no need to answer my question anymore as I will be travelling the next couple of days and therfore unable to go online at all.

rosi7 Fri 22-Mar-13 05:23:26

Right, Seeker, I am ignoring it as you do not seem to be able to take it for what it is: A simple description of Dr. Salk about his own work.

WinkyWinkola Thu 21-Mar-13 22:57:39

As a pro vac person, I find the certainty of the MMR most definitely reducing the severity of the illness in the majority of the remaining 15% unprotected by the vaccine a pretty tricky claim to prove.

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 22:35:02

So you are ignoring any requests for you to support your comments?

rosi7 Thu 21-Mar-13 21:48:34

RooneyMara, there is good reason to be concerned if you have a look at the poor framework behind vaccination:

http://www.minds.com/blog/view/46521/are-vaccines-safe

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 20:56:14

I have said all along that I want to know your standpoint.

I have also asked you several times to back up your statement about Joseph Salk. I would like to ask you to back up all the statements you made, but one will do.

rosi7 Thu 21-Mar-13 20:42:44

It is so difficult, Seeker, because you what you wrote earlier and what you write now is something different. If you want to know all the details you asked for why do you say later you wanted to know my standpoint?

Your messages create huge confusion and then you put the responsibility on the one who should answer your question.

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 19:36:28

I don't expect you to "extrapolate all kinds of data" you flooded the thread with unsupported statements. I challenged one in particular which I know to be misleading at best, but you haven't yet produced any supporting evidence.

I would just like to know what your standpoint is. Why is that so difficult?

rosi7 Thu 21-Mar-13 18:24:49

Why then don't you ask what you would like to know but expect me to deliver all kinds of data?

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 18:12:35

Yes, really. But hey ho, if you don't want to, you don't want to. I, and others, will extrapolate that you think that your position is indefensible.

rosi7 Thu 21-Mar-13 18:10:38

Really?

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 17:56:26

I don't want you to dig for information, Rosi- I just wanted to understand your point of view. Which I why I suggested you express it in a short paragraph. Then we can talk about it.

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 17:41:05

Which question was that?

rosi7 Thu 21-Mar-13 17:36:11

Seeker - do you really expect me to dig out the information you want to have - I am sure you can do that yourself. Besides that you have not answered my question either.

The proper research you refer to for me is no more valid than all of the experiences parents and doctors have made in their lives even if it is not based on proper scientific research.

If you feel it is not a big thing if doctors take a pharmaceutical company to court just because you already seem to know about it - that is an interesting viewpoint.

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 17:16:57

Rooney- I don't think you can be unbiased on this subject- all the science and proper research points one way. All you can do is read the evidence.

And yes, kids do still get measles. But a) the vaccine protects about 85% of children, and reduces the severity of the illness in most of the remaining 15%.

No vaccine is 100% effective. Nothing is 100% effective.

RooneyMara Thu 21-Mar-13 17:03:56

Fair point Bun. What about measles though? lots of kids seem to get that regardless?

Thankyou for the links Seeker. It is so hard to tell what is a pro site and what is anti and what is totally unbiased.

Bunbaker Thu 21-Mar-13 13:38:17

"that I've read that a lot of vaccines are inefficient at actually preventing the diseases they are meant to"

If that is the case why do we no longer see: smallpox, polio, diphtheria and tetanus? Did you see the little boy on Comic Relief with tetanus?

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 12:11:08

Trouble is, Rosi, the scattergun is completely unhelpful. And in your case, as I and others have pointed out, factually inaccurate. One or two well argued posts that could stimulate debate would be a really good thing for you to produce. Oh, and I'm still waiting for your comments on the Salk/Sabin issue.

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 12:08:59
rosi7 Thu 21-Mar-13 12:06:33

What is worse? The scattergun or the heavily armed warlike approach of the vaccination industry putting so much fear an pressure on parents?

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 12:03:30

Rooney- have a look at this and see what you think.

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 11:56:29

I think the OP got sensible advice- apart from the scattergun poster!

RooneyMara Thu 21-Mar-13 11:55:43

and why do they need three shots of each?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now