Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can booster vaccinations potentially cause damage, or only initial vax?

(8 Posts)
olivo Sat 23-Feb-13 19:48:59

What I mean is, if there is no evidence of vaccination damage following the first vax for each disease, does it mean a booster of the same is safe? So if you've had the MMR and seemingly are fine, will you also be fine after the booster?

the booster of mmr is the same as the first mmr so unlikely to cause an issue. My 2 had less side effects after the booster than they did from the original jab

olivo Sun 24-Feb-13 09:29:31

Thank you - I've had a wobble over that 2nd mmr just recently.

DrMatt1978 Fri 01-Mar-13 20:13:10

The MMR issue of the last decade was, by and large, found to lack much in the way of scientific validity...much like the pertussis scare when I was a kid (my Mum apparently felt it best NOT to have the pertussis immunisation).

By and large the MMR is safe, but the fall off in immunisation caused a considerable increase in measles cases, with the associated problems that causes.

In general, vaccines can only be used if safe, and will have gone through stringent safety tests. By and large, any immunisation can cause a transient fever/flu-LIKE illness as your body responds to the initial allergen. Redness, itch and tenderness at injection sites can also occur. Very rarely anaphylaxis...but that's quite extreme.

Hope that's of use.

Regards

Dr Matt
https://www.facebook.com/EvidenceBasedLife
slugsetcocleae.blogspot.co.uk/

Tabitha8 Sat 02-Mar-13 17:29:58

Can anyone enlighten me as to the stringent safety tests?

bruffin Sat 02-Mar-13 19:12:31

Are you insinuating they don't do any testing tabitha.
Very easy Google
[[ http://m.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/vaccine-development-testing-and-regulation vaccine development and testing]]

bruffin Sat 02-Mar-13 19:24:58
Tabitha8 Sun 03-Mar-13 16:36:59

No testing at all, Bruffin? No, I do not believe that to be the case at all.

Is it not correct that Gardasil was fast-tracked? If that's true, then why was a vaccine fast-tracked? Why did it not go through all the safety stages?

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/irelands-hidden-scandal-child-vaccine-trials-28553907.html
This makes an interesting read. From the 1970s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now