Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

rubella jag - confused??

(4 Posts)
Leonas Wed 14-Nov-12 20:30:08

I am trying for a baby and I have been told that I need a rubella vaccination as it 'didn't take' when I got it as a child. I was advised by the hospital that I couldn't try for a baby for a month afterwards as it is a live virus but my GP surgery said it would be 4 years??
Can anybody offer any advice??

XBenedict Wed 14-Nov-12 20:32:05

It's one month I am sure. 4 years - where did they get that from?

XBenedict Wed 14-Nov-12 20:32:56

From NHS website

"Planning a pregnancy

If you are considering trying for a baby, ask your GP to test your immunity to rubella before you become pregnant. As immunity to rubella can wear off over time, it is important that your immunity level is checked by your GP before every pregnancy.
If the test shows that you have very few or no rubella antibodies, you will be offered the MMR vaccine to protect you against rubella. You can have the MMR vaccine before you become pregnant, but not during pregnancy. After having the MMR vaccine, you should take care to avoid becoming pregnant for one month."

Leonas Wed 14-Nov-12 20:40:32

Thank you! The fertility clinic told me a month but the sugery phoned today to say I need to contact the nurse as they don't want to do it. I did have a feeling my sugery is a bit crap but this just confirms it, I fear!
I will try to explain this to them tomorrow, thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now