Good place in York centre to stay with kids 3 nights?

(18 Posts)
Evbev Sat 19-Oct-13 18:12:20

Hi we need to go to York in mid november. can anyone recommend somewhere reasonable to stay for 2 adults and our 2 children? Self catering or hotel would be good so we could go back during the day if it's raining or anything.

Mefisto Sat 19-Oct-13 22:24:55

We stayed in York lakeside lodges and although they were pretty basic they were very reasonably priced and suited us perfectly. They are a v short bus ride into York city centre and the site is beautiful ( but also handily next door to a big tesco). We were there in December and the lodge was very cosy.

idiot55 Sat 19-Oct-13 22:26:35

Not the travel lodge in city centre!

Bloomin awful, filthy.

And ducks/ geese keep,younawake

Evbev Sun 20-Oct-13 10:01:46

thanks, that sounds good, but you do however have to pay for cleaning (Just looked on site) It would be great to get somewhere within walking distance of York centre to explore

CMOTDibbler Sun 20-Oct-13 10:12:19

how about the Bar Convent? I've only been to the cafe, but that was lovely

SparkyTGD Sun 20-Oct-13 10:16:49

Its not cheap but we stayed in the Novotel, has swimming pool, wii/xbox in bar/lounge area (very family friendly, not 'pubby' at all) for kids and 10-15 min walk into centre.

But went to the pub beside the Travelodge for breakfast, cheap & cheerful wink

anon2013 Sun 20-Oct-13 10:19:05

Make sure you look at booking.com there

Hotel 53 is very central. Rooms are quite small but comfy.

Preciousbane Sun 20-Oct-13 10:26:40

I didn't like Hotel 53, it was clean and the breakfasts were good but room was teeny and odd stuff like towels kept in shelves low down and hidden draws. Well not obvious as they had no handles. The reception staff were very nice. I think if you want to hang out in your room with dc it isn't that great. Premier inn rooms are bigger and the tv was the size of a computer screen.

MrsBungle Sun 20-Oct-13 10:26:48

We are staying at the city apartments in York this coming weekend so I can report back if you like!

viperslast Sun 20-Oct-13 10:27:19

I just came on to recommend lakeside lodges. Town is walkable and it is a lovely route past the racecourse. The place is a wonderful surprise!

ChasingSquirrels Sun 20-Oct-13 10:32:21

How much are you looking to spend? We stayed in a 2 bed apt that was v v central last Oct half term. I think it was around £400 for 2 nights.
I can look up the details if you are interested.

Evbev Mon 21-Oct-13 13:15:20

ChasingSquirrels we are on quite a low budget so the 400 would be too steep.
MrsBungle that would be great if you could let me know how the city apartments are this weekend!
Thanks viperslast for recommendation, will keep that in mind.
thanks to other people for other suggestions also.

hermioneweasley Mon 21-Oct-13 13:18:23

There is a premier inn near the station. I haven't stayed in that one, but always find the chain reliable, clean and family friendly.

MrsBungle Mon 21-Oct-13 15:31:03

Will do evbev ...

ChasingSquirrels Mon 21-Oct-13 22:26:54

Hope you find somewhere nice.
I would happily be on a lower budget but DP is not my boys dad and therefore separate rooms essential in my mind.
Whereas if I take the boys away on my own we do £19 a night travelodges.

Bea Thu 24-Oct-13 16:45:52

just been looking as you have inspired me to find a place for me and my mum to go to York for a little bit of Christmas shopping!
This looks clean, comfortable and price is good!
www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186346-d3437842-Reviews-Hampton_by_Hilton_York-York_North_Yorkshire_England.html

3nationsfamily Fri 25-Oct-13 09:47:58

If you can get a good deal then the Hilton is perfectly located- walking distance to everywhere and good family deals for shared rooms. The only issue is parking, but that is the same with anywhere central in York. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186346-d192668-Reviews-Hilton_York-York_North_Yorkshire_England.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now