Can I spend a week on Holy Island?

(9 Posts)
TheConstantLurker Thu 18-Jul-13 07:03:24

Ah thanks, we decided last night not to go. So annoying as holiday cottage free for a week but with no car it just was going to be too difficult.

ChippyMinton Wed 17-Jul-13 21:31:24

No. Bamburgh is lovely though, if the weather is good - endless beach, dunes for sledging down, castle, great food shops...and you can see Holy Island! Seahouses just down the road has boat trips, crazy golf, fish and chips.

mummytime Wed 17-Jul-13 21:27:26

I agree we did it for a day, including getting stranded by the tide for 4 + hours with a 0, 5 and 7 year old. We walked almost all of the island in one day. It is a lovely and special place, but there isn't much to do after 1 day.

To stay there longer I would think you would need to be on a spiritual retreat.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 17-Jul-13 20:54:58

No. Its a fabulous place to spend a day, but you can pretty much explore the whole thing in that time including walking most of the way round it ...with a 6 year old.

All those places in Northumberland are lovely but I think it'd be a bit hard without a car.

InsanelyBrainDeprived Wed 17-Jul-13 20:48:45

I wouldn't, a day trip is enough. Lots more to see in Northumberland. Maybe find yourself somewhere to stay in warkworth area then you are within easy reach for everything including some great beaches on your doorstep and newcastle less than an hour away. Sea houses, Bamburgh castle, Alnwick gardens are well worth a visit.

cupcake78 Wed 17-Jul-13 20:45:54

Fully agree. It's a tiny island which can be done in a day. A week will drive you mad!

If your staying on holy island and planning on getting a car to travel beware of the safe crossing times for the week your going.

WouldBeHarrietVane Wed 17-Jul-13 20:44:46

No!

Do Alnmouth
Dunstanburgh
Craster
Durham
Newcastle

No, you will go stir crazy.

It is stunningly beautiful and if the weather's like this you could spend the week on the beach but on e you've wandered round the one street bit of the town and the monastery there is very little there.

There is lots to do in and around Northumberland and you can use public transport but a card would be helpful.

TheConstantLurker Wed 17-Jul-13 13:57:20

Without a car, or will we all go stir crazy? Is there enough to do? Would five days be ok?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now