Margate

(5 Posts)
PenelopePortrait Wed 15-May-13 22:13:28

You both make it sound fab.

Dreamland - I have really happy memories of that.

I really want to go back now - going to persuade DH smile

I found it interesting that the programme yesterday mentioned Padstow as a foodie town. Margate has amazing local produce and lots of fish, it's a shame a foodie scene can't be introduced there. The old market place is doing well, a high street full of vintage shops would be great too. I heard that Wayne Hemingway was taking control of Dreamland and making it a haven for vintage fairground rides. If they reopened the cinema at the top of the high street, they could screen art-house films. The beaches are gorgeous - we go just for those. Chuck in a few nice places to eat and I would go there on holiday rather that Whitstable.

smokinaces Tue 14-May-13 22:28:56

The beach is very well looked after. The old town lovely, little vintage shops and cafes. The new part is still a dive sadly.

PenelopePortrait Tue 14-May-13 22:24:24

I have great memories of Margate from my childhood, we stayed in Cliftonville. I often wonder what it's like now. I'd love to go back.

invicta Tue 14-May-13 22:17:57

Just wondering whether Margate is worth a day out following Mary Portas? Has the town centre improved? I last went there nearly five years ago. The Turner gallery hadn't been built ten and I remember the town as a dump. Has the situation improved?

I do remember a lovely beach, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now