Rider insurance

(6 Posts)
RunDougalRunQuiteFast Tue 27-Aug-13 19:35:42

I haven't ridden in years but a lady up the road has a lovely very calm Welsh Sec D that isn't being ridden much at present and we've been having discussions about me riding him. Obviously will take it easy and do some work with him in the field first to see how we get on, but I'm thinking about rider insurance - any experiences?

burberryqueen Tue 27-Aug-13 19:37:50

I think if you join the British Horse Society that you are insured, although what that covers exactly i am not sure.

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Wed 28-Aug-13 12:54:55

Thank you! Will investigate.

Lasvegas Wed 28-Aug-13 17:03:01

Myself and nearly all my yard use pet plan. Have not had to claim though so can't tell you about that though.

Ninetydegreeseastoflondon Wed 28-Aug-13 19:50:21

I seem to recall the BHS cover was limited. I have an income protection policy, so if anything happened which meant I couldn't work I would be covered. Just check such policies don't exclude riding though!

Emilycee Fri 06-Sep-13 06:56:14

BHS gold is great as long as you don't pay to ride him - it turns out you are not covered if money is exchanged to ride. (I was looking at this a year ago when I started sharing a horse) I went with Petplan in the end which cost me approx 7.50 a month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now