Grass Sickness

(11 Posts)
TweenageAngst Fri 31-May-13 10:36:22

My wonderful 7 year old Arab was diagnosed this morning. He has been given only a 10 % chance of survival. I am so upset, he was so fit and well. Does anybody out there have any experience of nursing a horse with grass sickness?

Mitchy1nge Fri 31-May-13 10:48:04

not successfully no, am so sorry, the prognosis is awful

some horses do get over it but not usually back to full health I think

Mitchy1nge Fri 31-May-13 10:49:17

maybe someone who can be a bit more positive will come along soon

sorry, big hugs

TweenageAngst Fri 31-May-13 16:50:08

I am going up tonight to say goodbye, I cant let him suffer much as it is breaking my heart.

WillowKnicks Fri 31-May-13 18:34:32

Sorry to hear that Tween.

Take care sad

So sorry to hear that - it really is a vile thing, and I've heard how quickly it can strike. If you have time (and if you want to) there are threads on the Horse and Hound forum, otherwise be guided by your vet and your feelings.

TweenageAngst Sat 01-Jun-13 13:47:10

Put him to sleep this morning, it was peaceful and dignified , he had a great life. The vet has vetted him at endurance rides and has ridden him herself. So it was fitting and right for her to send him on his final ride. I

Pinkponiesrock Sat 01-Jun-13 14:24:21

So sorry to hear that, those 2 words strike such fear into every horse owner. Thinking of you and your lovely boy, awful to have a life taken so early sad sad

I'm so sorry.

Mitchy1nge Sat 01-Jun-13 19:06:40

flowers thinking of you tweenage, heartfelt sympathies x

Mitchy1nge Sat 01-Jun-13 19:11:28

if you are interested this charity are working hard to add to our knowledge of this awful condition, I donate regularly in memory of a special horse

is just a thought x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now