Would you buy a 19 year old pony?

(33 Posts)
funnycase Tue 19-Feb-13 16:34:53

A lovely pony, who I know, has been offered to us. She ticks all our boxes and she's 15hh so I can ride her too. But what I didn't realise until we started to talk is that she's 19.dh says definitely too old. What doyou think ? she will be hunting and ode-ing.

Littlebigbum Tue 26-Feb-13 10:31:12

Super get well soon, love Kelly Marks watch her on Horse and Country think they are on YouTube to. Honey was 14.2 in the end but think horse shrink like humans, paper said 15 h. I'll search about canal horse but have no idea where I read it.

Pixel Tue 26-Feb-13 16:12:53

Mum's shire X lived until he was 31, but I know that was an exception. There are many more stories of 40 year old shetlands!

Hopeforever Tue 26-Feb-13 17:59:27

Expect then that our old lady is no longer 14.3, she has shrunk too I suppose. Aged 39 she can still eat like a horse!

Plomino Tue 26-Feb-13 20:51:02

I lost my first pony two years ago , when she was 34 , and she hadn't been retired . In fact , I'd taken her out 3 days beforehand , and she'd not only jogged all the way round , but also put her head between her knees and done her level best to bugger off as well . We were still doing serious endurance at 27 , and only slowed down because kids started arriving.

19 is hardly anything these days , and tbh you could end up like a friend , who bought a five year old and then lost it a year later in a field accident .

superfluouscurves Wed 27-Feb-13 10:50:31

Thanks Littlebigbum am feeling better now smile

Great to hear of all these sprightly 30 year olds +++

sleeton Mon 04-Mar-13 22:02:48

Hello all! First post, so hope I'm doing things properly. Just wanted to say, I did. Well, 18 years at the time I bought, and I bought him to go straight into competition! Thereafter followed several wonderful years, as he taught, challenged and rewarded my dd at every turn. I cannot sing his praises enough. True, we cannot 'sell him on' .... in fact we chose to retire him from competition 'on a high' half way through last season, because his legs kept filling up .... but he earned every minute of what I hope will be a long and happy retirement! I guess what I'm trying to say is don't pass up on the oldies just because of age. If they tick your boxes and fulfil your requirements, the chances are they will do so very well indeed!

LittlePushka Mon 04-Mar-13 22:15:36

I am truly amazed that ponies last this long...I had no idea!! I could still be mucking out my ponies when I am 85....whaat??! Will they have stabling at the retirement home?

I have a TB who is 30 and I thought that was good going (thought maybe 40 for my hardy ponies)!

And 19years would not of itself trouble me unduly, as said it depends upon the pony and your riding expectation. good luck!

(56,..57...must go and reasses my long term housing needs..!)

Littlebigbum Fri 08-Mar-13 19:17:39

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2288910/Worlds-oldest-horse-trots-final-furlong-Irish-draught-Shayne-51-sleep-Essex-sanctuary-reaching-120-human-years.html
there is a bit at the bottom about 61 horse the size of Shire
?????
Are you still thinking Funny case ????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now