Who the fuck dumps there horse in MY field

(395 Posts)
MagicLlama Fri 16-Nov-12 20:26:34

So ive gone down to let my horses in tonight, and there is an extra fucking horse in my field. I know its not mine. I know it wasnt there at 7:30 this morning. I know its been put in because the lock is cut off. CUT off. Theve cut my padlock off to put an additional horse IN!! IN!!

It went crazy when I took mine in to the stables, so I had no choice. Hes now in a stable with a haynet.

Ive rang round locally and noone appears willing to claim him. Ive rang the police, and theve advised me to put un an abandonement notice telling whoever owns him they have 14 days to shift him, before he becomes mine, and apparently hes my legal responsibility in the meantime because hes on my land.

WTF do I do now?

A lot of how they are is how they are handled IMO. Now that he appears to have landed on his hooves with you, you'll probably find he'll settle really well - they love routine. More than anything else it's probably a question of taking it slowly. The advantage of racers is that they have seen so much, I've found things like loading, shoeing, clipping etc is a doddle because they are so used to it which is a huge advantage.

Can you request his previous "owners" for any kit do you think?

careergirl Thu 06-Dec-12 20:56:36

it would not surprise me if they let you spend money sorting him then tried claiming him back - get them to "sell" him to you for consideration of a £1 get an agreement/signed/ witnessed before you spend any ££

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Thu 06-Dec-12 21:02:41

Definitely ^^ that!

KTK9 Thu 06-Dec-12 22:34:22

Unbelievable, they put him out on loan - having been silly enough to get him for a 10 year old and when loan doesn't work out - don't want him back!!!? Weird!

Definately get ownership and then at least you can make a decision on him being yours to do whatever with. Poor Mac, what a life, for him so far, like something out of a novel.

Keep a diary, it would make an amazing book!

Best of luck and I am sure if you need help with funds, or equipment, you will get it on here.

MagicLlama Fri 07-Dec-12 08:07:13

I think from speaking to them, that they saw him advertised as free, didnt realise the work he would require, got him and then once they did just shipped him out again. sad Theres loads of horses advertised as free on places like preloved at the moment, and I suspect a fair few of them are destined for similar stories to come.

They are going to sign him over for a nominal sum of £1, but he comes with no equiment hmm. Ive got rugs sorted, ive got a bridle that fits him, so itll just be a saddle, but ill sort that closer to the time he needs to be ridden. Theres a shop about 30 mins away which sells second hand ones so I can get one from there.

Ha my diary which I keep for my counsellor, already reads like a soap opera, what with my toxic family, dealings with the idiotic fathers of my DSs, and the long running saga I have with living in the wilderness!

Do you know we once had a budgie in a cage dumped outside?! I mean what the heck? Who dumps a budgie in a cage?

To be honest, I dont want to take funds from people off here, despite the generous offers, as its not about scamming money off anyone, its just nice to have a sounding board for the WTF moments that go on and advice about things IYSWIM?

However, if anyone has useful tips of how to work with him, or their experiences of TBs (as I still think of them as highly strung horses who need pampering) then id love to have them off you grin

The plan is to just leave him turned away (well with bringing him in at night) and just day to day handling of him, which he seems OK with anyway, and then my friends friend, will come and assess him for me in the new year, and then ill take it from there.

Alameda Fri 07-Dec-12 09:11:44

Don't worry, I don't have any spare money anyway!

Or knowledge of TBs unfortunately. Glad you will finally have some rights to go along with all the responsibilities for him.

I would imagine just do as you are planning - lots of handling, grooming, getting to know him, correcting any problems with his manners (if he has any). I found this www.ror.org.uk/care_exracehorse.htm with a quick google and I imagine other sites will have useful information as well. There does seem to be a lot of info on there in various places and although a lot of it is common sense I found it really interesting to have it set out step by step.

I'm sure that your hard work and care will be rewarded and I for one think you are a star for giving him another chance, the alternatives are too awful to contemplate.

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 07-Dec-12 11:10:47

Slow and steady. And any lessons in small bites. Friends warmblood has a 20 minute lesson on something new, then parks. Apparently he can't move and think! When she puts him away, he stands in his stable rocking his head very slightly, having a good old ponder with a far away look in his eye! grin we reckon he doesn't have a brain, just a marble which he has to keep moving in order to think! grin

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Fri 07-Dec-12 13:09:30

it defies belief that anyone would get an ex racer for a 10 yr old. im still amazed by the stupidity of people.

have you asked them where his saddle is? i would....cheeky gits. Im glad he has found you and i hope you manage to work with him.

They've probably already sold it!

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 07-Dec-12 15:36:58

You'd think that such a talented horse would have packed himself a little suitcase along with his bolt croppers! confused

foofooyeah Wed 12-Dec-12 13:44:01

Just popped back to see what happened. That is a very lucky horse to have ended up with you. I hope the re-training etc goes well: please let us know

How are things going Magic? I hope he's settling well and you're getting to know him.

CaroleService Mon 07-Jan-13 14:34:22

Do let us know! bet he's got his hooves under the table ...

BobbiFleckmann Tue 08-Jan-13 10:25:32

without wanting to send you all to the daily Mail, there's a story today that someone has dumped four horses in Jodie Marsh's front garden...

WOuld love an update on this story though, MagicLlama

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 08-Jan-13 12:40:19

I too would love an update

Look at the link - not good news though.

BobbiFleckmann Tue 08-Jan-13 15:11:57

oh bloody hell. thanks frosty. What a end to the story.

Bloody hell. That made me cry. I had to stop reading. I don't even like horses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now