Who the fuck dumps there horse in MY field

(395 Posts)
MagicLlama Fri 16-Nov-12 20:26:34

So ive gone down to let my horses in tonight, and there is an extra fucking horse in my field. I know its not mine. I know it wasnt there at 7:30 this morning. I know its been put in because the lock is cut off. CUT off. Theve cut my padlock off to put an additional horse IN!! IN!!

It went crazy when I took mine in to the stables, so I had no choice. Hes now in a stable with a haynet.

Ive rang round locally and noone appears willing to claim him. Ive rang the police, and theve advised me to put un an abandonement notice telling whoever owns him they have 14 days to shift him, before he becomes mine, and apparently hes my legal responsibility in the meantime because hes on my land.

WTF do I do now?

Landy77 Wed 28-Nov-12 19:21:43

Well said octane girl, I have ridden ex- race horses and they were very polite to handle, excellant in traffic a pleasure to do.
Funnily enough a friend had a ex police horse wasn't 100% so never got posted but it's temperament was awful, very rude in the stable and was the most horrible bitting horse, I always thought that was why it didn't go into full police service but apparently not. Saying that though would re- home a police home in need when dd is old enough to hack out with mummy and daddy it would be lovely to have a nice horse rather than our darling duo!!
Good luck with lost boy he sounds like it was meant to be!!!

yani Fri 30-Nov-12 12:58:14

Any news OP?

EcoLady Mon 03-Dec-12 09:19:24

Delurking to ask whether there's an update? Is Lost Boy less lost?

ImperialSantaKnickers Mon 03-Dec-12 09:27:00

Another lurker wondering what the up to date scoop is?

allinagoodcause Mon 03-Dec-12 13:01:57

Looking at the picture of him he looks like a race horse straight out of training. Has he got a tendon or any obvious injury? It looks like a really well horse maybe he was stolen? I would get as many pictures on forums etc as possible and let the police know. Can you tweet picture also?
Nice problem to have in some ways but really sad for the poor horse. Good lucksmile

brighthair Tue 04-Dec-12 20:39:32

Aw smile
Is it wrong that I read your very first post and my thought was "well is it a nice horse?!"
I have a big big soft spot for bay Tbs, and my previous horse was an ex racer. He was fantastic in traffic and with the vet/farrier
With good rugs and food he would be able to live out the majority of the year (although they are soft gits so he may not agree with me)

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Tue 04-Dec-12 22:18:07

also wondering on any updates OP.....how are you and he faring?

MagicLlama Wed 05-Dec-12 21:16:32

Sorry have been internetless.

Update time.

Hes still here .. this probably surprises none of you

Long version ... The owners that he was passed to 3 months ago have been contacted. They apparently loaned him out due to him not beng suitable for their 10 year old no shit sherlock His loaner appears to have returned him to their field, the loaner says he said he was returning, they say he didnt, but upshot is that he has got out of the field, and they no longer pay rental on it anyway so cant have him back, they dont know what to do with him, they are scared of him. Blah blah blah blah.

Short version ... his owners dont want him back.

My vet has said that The Horse as he has now become known (his name is actually Mac) appears sound, and certainly it appears there is no reason he couldnt become retrained as something useful, so its just whether I do it or not.

A friend of a friend works retraining racehorses, and she has said that she will come out and do an initial assessent for me, and give her opinion. However that isnt going to be until after Xmas, so until then at least he is here. Depending on what she says, and what the vet discovers when he gets the full previous vet records, Ill then decide whether he remains and I look at turning him into a hack, whether he remains and is only useful as a companion, or whether hell just be too much for me, and I sign him over to a racehorse rehabilition centre if there is one that will take him. There is also a place that retrains them for you, but its £125 per week, and they reckon (depending on the horse) that it can take anything from 2 - 6 months ... but to be honest thats alot of money to fork out.

I would like to keep him because i have fallen in love with him, and hes already been passed around loads, and I know i would keep him as long as possible, but also I have to be realistic and if hes going to be too much time wise then ill have to source a decent home for him.

Alameda Wed 05-Dec-12 22:45:00

wow

who buys an ex racehorse for a 10 year old?

thanks for update though, have been wondering how you were getting on, it's great to have a name for him - good luck with whatever comes next, either way he is in safe hands now

poor Mac up until now though sad

Alameda Wed 05-Dec-12 22:45:49

by the way, have you got everything you need for him at the moment?

Pixel Wed 05-Dec-12 22:51:06

Wow! you really must keep a horse with such talents as this. Not only has he 'got out' of their field but he had the presence of mind to take some bolt croppers with him so he could break into your field hmm.

Pixel Wed 05-Dec-12 22:54:42

Didn't mean to copy your 'wow' btw. grin I'd already typed that bit then got distracted by the realisation that the cat has brought in a mouse and it is loose in my shithole mildly cluttered living room!

Alameda Wed 05-Dec-12 23:02:00

yeah yeah a likely story wink

although I believe you really, I read magicllama's latest post like this shock just WTF. Poor Mac.

hope the cat eats the whole mouse, mine never do

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Wed 05-Dec-12 23:02:06

What kind of fucking twat gives someone an untrained ex racer for a 10yo?! What is wrong with people! <<incredibly angry>>
This poor horse has been put through God knows what because the people who didn't want him didn't care about him enough to give a shit about where he went!
I'd rather shoot a horse than see it passed from pillar to post like an unwanted toy! It's not fair!

Floralnomad Wed 05-Dec-12 23:09:53

My first horse was an ex race mare , FWIW she was the safest hack I ever had , nothing fazed her at all . Bloody nuisance in the stable and completely neurotic but bombproof in traffic. Good luck with him . Have you got his owners to sign something to the effect that they are gifting him to you as you don't want to spend time and money on him only to find that they then try to claim him back when you have made him more saleable or suitable for their daughter.

EcoLady Wed 05-Dec-12 23:11:23

Poor Mac - passed around like that by fools. Thank goodness he found you :-)

CalamityKate Wed 05-Dec-12 23:19:16

We used to have an ex racer at the riding school I worked in.

Utterly safe ride for beginners, would work nicely for more able riders and bomb proof out hacking. You could stick a novice on him and trust him to canter sedately at the back. Probably why he was an EX racer; he just didn't mind being last.

However in the stable he was the most evil horse I've ever met.

Pixel Wed 05-Dec-12 23:22:42

At least he's got a nice name smile.
Aren't you supposed to do some thing where they sell him to you for £1 to make it all legal?

Alameda, don't know he's never brought one in before. I usually manage to slam the door in his face if he has a mouse (no catflaps here).

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Wed 05-Dec-12 23:24:29

If his owners don't want him anymore, you need to get them to sell him to you. The amount is nominal, £1, £10 etc, but it is then legally binding. Get a receipt, and something signed by them.

CatPussRoastingOnAnOpenFire Wed 05-Dec-12 23:26:16

X posted with Pixel! grin

prettybird Wed 05-Dec-12 23:38:16

This is definitely a horse with special skills: able to get loose, find your field, acquire, use and then hide some bolt cutters hmmwink

Just found this thread - Mac is v.lucky he 'found' you. Ex-racers aren't always easy but of the ones I've been around / involved with:
One has just retired from the hunting field at the age of 24 - took on anything, and was pretty bombproof, but came back when requested
One is up at my current stables and I ride him in a lesson once a week - he's bloody fast forward going into jumps, but heart of gold and wants to get over them clean and with the rider still on his back
Ex-National hunt jumper (retired as too 'slow') - good when showjumping, not to be let loose in 'company' smile
Flat racer that was too slow as a 3 year old - turning out to be a rather magnificent polocrosser though

Anyway, the above is a long winded way of saying Mac sounds as though he'll be fun. Will be interesting to see what your trainer friend thinks. Wishing you both a long and happy time together.

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Wed 05-Dec-12 23:47:36

im glad you updated and i wish you well with him, i do hope you keep him - he sounds like he has been through quite a few idiot owners.....

My dad learnt to ride on an ex-racer, he was a lovely horse. I rode a half blind pony called Nutmeg who'd bolt at his own shadow. I loved him anyway.

MagicLlama Thu 06-Dec-12 07:17:13

I have to admit I am a bit hmm by the whole thing too.

There is no way he let himself into my field, and the whole fact its padlocked means it unlikely a passer by happened to put him in because he was roaming around! The place where they apparently kept him is about 15 miles away accross farmland & woodland. It just all seems a bit suss, but then whilst Ive seen horses escaped and roaming, and even dumped in a random field before, theyve either been in bad shape or reunited with their owners.

Its just depressing really. Preloved and stuff is full of horses "free to good home" but very rarely do people even check its a good home. I mean its like saying I can have him because I sound nice. Well im going to sound nice on the phone if im trying to persuade someone to give me their horse aren't I.

I didnt think about the whole have to legally sign him over, so ill have to get that sorted, and they are apparently sending his passport over.

Yes ive got most of the stuff I need for him. The only thing I didnt have was rugs and ive got a couple off ebay & preloved so hes all sorted, and a friend with a similar sized horse has given me a couple of her old ones as her horse is the most spoilt horse ever and has about 20 of everything

Well the retrained ex racers from peoples stories, appear to be either really nice or really insane. The closest Ive ever been to insane was a saddlebred I resuced when I was 18 who kept trying to kill me. We eventually sorted it out, but I know that with the kids there is no way I have the time to spend with a massively project horse. Something that requires some schooling & some work fair enough, but I need something I trust because the kids are around,and I dont want them not to be able to do their own ponies, because ive got a "challenging" one IYSWIM?

Ill have to see whats said about him when the vets got all the info from the previous vet, and when hes been assessed, and then take it from there.

I might well be back asking which of you wants to take a racehorse off my hands grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now