NQT advice - what next?

(8 Posts)
ninah Sun 27-Jan-13 21:51:30

Am on a mat contract in a satisfactory school - only as we know there is no satisfactory any more! the teacher I am covering has been considering coming back part time - she has apparently now made her plans, and I am to find out what they are tomorrow. I really like aspects of the school but am struggling a bit in terms of developing my teaching there. School has been through lots of upheaval and is currently recruiting a permanent HT. A permanent contract would be very tempting, though, if available...
I looked round a fab school for a temp contract recently, too, the HT was lovely and said she'd strongly welcome an application. It is a tricky commute, and a temporary contract, but I'd expect some cracking peer input, I was really impressed with what I saw there. It might be for up to a year.
What should I be considering when future plans are discussed at my school? it's possible of course that the end of my contract will be confirmed, but if there are other options what should I be looking for? I would enjoy the life/work balance of part time, but would I be able to grow as a teacher? I am struggling to find time for my own family at present but I don't want to take an option just because it seems easier, short term.

notnowImreading Sun 27-Jan-13 21:59:28

Primary or Secondary? If Secondary, which subject?

ninah Sun 27-Jan-13 22:00:34

primary! am sweating now wondering what is on the table. I may be out of work in another month, eek!

ninah Mon 04-Feb-13 23:09:46

Part time at my present school looks like it is a possibility. Is it sensible to take this workable option, or would you consider applying to a good school - dynamic SLT, enthusiastic teachers etc - with a challenging commute on a temporary contract?

PopMusic Mon 04-Feb-13 23:37:50

If you were an NQT without a family, I would say go for the temporary contract. I think it's a bit more tricky with a family though. Are you the person who was having trouble with her TA? Would you still have the same TA? Your head seemed a bit ineffective but she's only temporary though.

Umm, tricky. You sound really enthusiastic about the temporary one. Why don't you go for it and see what happens?

ninah Tue 05-Feb-13 07:22:32

If I didn't have dc, or even tbh if I had a partner, I wouldn't even be posting this dilemma, I'd be after the new job like a greyhound out of a trap.
I don't know the details of where I'd be teaching if I stayed but I don't see things improving for a while, and only then if dynamic leadership was brought in with all that entails.
On the other hand, (and thanks for the reply) your 3 day a week work life balance sounds very tempting!

ninah Tue 05-Feb-13 07:23:09

oh, and yes I have applied so we'll see!

zingally Tue 05-Feb-13 13:32:52

I think if you are young/free/single, temporary contracts are a good way to establish your career by experiencing different workplaces/methods/year groups. As well as widening your professional contacts.

However, I think with family in tow, permanent contracts can offer much more stability to family life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now