Devastated

(33 Posts)
boba82 Wed 23-Oct-13 19:59:54

My wee baby Max died yesterday. My husband accidentally ran him over on way to work and he died pretty much instantly although in DH's arms. The grief is overwhelming and I'm finding it hard to cope with, it is no different to the pain of losing my mum two years ago.

He was only 3 and has left a gaping hole in our wee family. We got him when we were struggling to conceive and he helped me through so many bad times during that period. We now also have a DS who is 2 and Max was his best friend. The pain of having to explain to him several times today that Max has gone away is breaking my heart.

I have been trying to keep a lot of emotion in as DH is already distraught and I do not want to add to his guilt. It was a complete accident and I don not blame him at all, just want my cat back home with us!

Felt the only place I could vent was here as people think we're stupid for being so upset over a cat but he was so much more than that to us sad

I'm so sorry. flowers

We lost our lovely old tom a few weeks ago and it still hurts. Big hugs. x

marissab Fri 01-Nov-13 18:38:58

You're not silly at all. I took in a stray 7 years ago and had to have him pts after a year due to illness. I have never been so attached to another animal before or since, even my lovely current cat. I am still so sad. He was my baby boy.

TheNunsOfGavarone Thu 31-Oct-13 19:27:35

Boba82 I am so sorry to hear about your beloved Max. Don't listen to anyone who makes "it's only a cat" remarks; cats are family and leave a huge gap in our lives when they go. I lost both my darling, elderly cats this summer; they had to be put to sleep and the pain was as bad as any human family bereavements I've been through. My old boy used to snuggle up in the crook of my arm in bed and I miss him very much. The circumstances of Max's death were particularly distressing though, what you and your family are going through is terribly hard.

boba82 Wed 30-Oct-13 21:24:35

Thank you everyone, it helps to have people that understand. A week on and we are still in shock. Got his ashes back yesterday. I am currently lying in bed reading & sobbing that my wee pal isn't snuggled up beside me sad I miss him sooooo much!!!! Thanks again to everyone & make sure you give your wee puss lots of snuggles!

kerstina Fri 25-Oct-13 23:05:13

So sorry to read this, absolutely devastating. I have a poorly cat and I have been in tears so many times this week because I thought she was dying. I would say let yourself cry, we love our pets so much don't we. I had not cried like that for ages (only at tv,books ext) It made me realise there is nothing more important in life than the pets, friends,family that we love and love us in our life but the grief when they leave us is the price we all have to pay for that love.

gobbin Fri 25-Oct-13 21:55:58

Oh dear how upsetting for you all sad Poor Max.

DulcetMoans Thu 24-Oct-13 20:34:20

Oh I am so sorry to hear that boba. Awful for everyone and feel so bad for your DH too. Hope you have all kept each other close today.

DidoTheDodo Thu 24-Oct-13 11:07:37

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Max.
They aren't pets are they? They're family.

Theresadogonyourballs Thu 24-Oct-13 10:07:06

I'm so sorry, you poor thing, and your poor DH.sad
Ignore anyone who says 'it's just a cat', how heartless, you don't need people like that in your life. They're our babies. Big hugs to all of you thanksthanks.

Petal02 Thu 24-Oct-13 08:57:46

Our cat is a much-loved family member, and I too would be devastated in your position. Hugs x

Flumpf Thu 24-Oct-13 08:18:41

So sorry about your little cat. My mum accidently ran over one of our cats years ago. It can happen so easily but it is so sad. Sending gentle hugs for you and your family.

Megbeth Thu 24-Oct-13 04:01:30

So sorry to hear that. Thinking of you. It's been nearly a year since I lost my 15 yr old cat & I still miss her so much.

CanucksoontobeinLondon Thu 24-Oct-13 03:03:17

Oh, you poor thing! That is indeed devastating. Poor Max, and poor you and your DH and DS. I am so sorry.

And anybody who says you shouldn't be so upset because it's "just" a cat can just fuck right off. Max was part of your family, of course you're grieving.

bootsycollins Thu 24-Oct-13 00:45:30

Oh bo I'm so sorry, how awful. Big hugs to you, dh and ds thanks xxx

Wolfiefan Wed 23-Oct-13 23:54:06

I used to work with someone who did exactly the same thing. Dreadful accident. We lost a boy cat after a hit and run. So so sad. They really worm their way into your family and your hearts.
I don't care if this is MN. HUGS!!

So sorry. Cats do seem to get everywhere and it is so sad.

boba82 Wed 23-Oct-13 22:25:56

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It is a comfort to know others feel the same about their cats. Just such a lonely home without him even with a toddler about! sad x x x

marriedinwhiteisback Wed 23-Oct-13 22:16:08

So sorry to hear about your loss. Crikey - how's your DH feeling sad

TamzinGrey Wed 23-Oct-13 22:15:56

Oh you poor poor thing. I'm so sorry for you, also your DS and your poor DH, who must be feeling terrible. Many years ago, long before we met, my DH had a similarly awful experience when he killed his family kitten, who had sneaked up under the wheel arch of his car. He still feels bad about it.

So sorry for you xxx

Pancakeflipper Wed 23-Oct-13 22:02:57

Oh Boba. Hugs to you all.

firstpost Wed 23-Oct-13 22:01:40

So heartbreaking for you all sad

It's okay to grieve, he was part of your family

So sorry

Putitonthelist Wed 23-Oct-13 21:53:15

So sorry sad My heart goes out to you all (((hugs)))

timtam23 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:55:25

Oh how awful for you all. Your poor DH must be feeling terrible. So so sorry.

issey6cats Wed 23-Oct-13 20:40:43

a big hug for you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now