adding a 2nd cat to my ragdoll lady

(18 Posts)
crazynanna Sat 27-Jul-13 14:24:03

well not we'll

crazynanna Sat 27-Jul-13 14:23:13

My girl has a 60/70ft garden all to herself, and just sits at the back door blinking. Maybe I should foot-shove her into the garden as I am we'll cruel for letting her stay in

issey6cats Sat 27-Jul-13 13:56:23

if you get a kitten and bring it up as a house cat then it will not know the difference and yes rescues have cats that have always been house cats, but if you fall in love with one thats been an outdoor cat its harder to turn them into a house cat as they have had that taste of freedom and not really fair on them

evuscha Fri 26-Jul-13 10:33:26

Haha Fluffycloudland77, something like this grin

About house cats.....while in the ideal world I would love for my cat to be able to come and go as she pleases and still stay safe, I think there is far too much danger outside, from traffic to cruel cat-hating people, to make it possible where I live. She was born as a house cat and never knew anything different and I believe she is happy that way, with her many toys inside, possibly another cat to play with in the near future, cat-proofed windows and occassional visits to the garden with me.
If I get another cat, I assume the rescue center will offer me house cats as well - of course I wouldn´t make a previously outdoor cat to stay indoors.

cozietoesie Fri 26-Jul-13 09:37:05

Oh - and bear in mind that my Seniorboy is now 18. That's 18 years of cuddles and love. How long would he have lasted if he had gone outside? My mom had maybe 5 or 6 cats RTA'd before she decided to have SB as housecat.

cozietoesie Fri 26-Jul-13 09:23:09

I'm going to disagree with you bigtime, Silver. I think it depends on circumstances. I have a big old roomy house, I work from home, and I have a cat who is completely bonded to me - and happy as a sandboy to be around and in the house.(He's currently snoring blissfully at the bottom of the bed.)

The Lodger went out at first when he was living with us - that was what he wanted to do at first - but even he (an ex street cat) came to want to stay in with us.

I think you have to go with the cat and not with your beliefs.

Silverfox45 Fri 26-Jul-13 08:54:27

I don't think you should get another cat.I think it is extremely cruel to keep cats as house cats.How would you feel if you were never allowed out to feel the wind on your cheeks etc?It must be so boring to be kept inside, it makes me feel very sad thinking about all the caged animals in the world.All animals should be free to do as they please!!

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jul-13 20:07:21

That made me laugh.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 25-Jul-13 20:01:06

Jenni Murray did an article about her chihuahua saying she got a second one as the first got lonely and gave her sad eyes every morning as she left for work. She said now she has two dogs doing sad eyes in the morning!.

I think it's great you want to provide a playmate for her.

evuscha Thu 25-Jul-13 18:30:27

All right, I see what you mean. My friend has a Russian blue and she is also really not into other cats and would probably hate it too. But I am thinking about it based on the fact that mine seems to love cats and company smile

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jul-13 18:16:34

I'm not able to comment easily. I have Siamese and they plain don't like having another cat around. They're too bonded. And get jealous.

Your call I think.

evuscha Thu 25-Jul-13 17:51:44

Interested to hear more opinions and experience from everyone of course! (as I thought the general consensus was "2 cats are better than 1", it is good to have another points of views)

evuscha Thu 25-Jul-13 17:50:17

Well that´s the thing - I think she is sad when left alone, and she is very sociable with other cats she has met so far - thus assuming she would be better of with a companion.

If it was about me, I would prefer just one cat as two cats are of course more expensive to keep and more "hassle" in general. But I want to have a happy cat(s).

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jul-13 17:43:40

Well no - I wouldn't necessarily. It depends on her and not on you. Is she happy at the moment? (Think hard about this one.)

evuscha Thu 25-Jul-13 17:36:23

Thank you issey6cats. Mine does look like she could be the boss grin she rules even in my neighbour´s household (with 2 much bigger males and 1 female in it) when she stays there.

Cozietoesie you wouldn´t recommend a second cat?

cozietoesie Thu 25-Jul-13 07:50:24

I wouldn't evuscha .

issey6cats Wed 24-Jul-13 23:06:09

being as your cat is 1 yr old and female a younger male or either sex kitten would be what the rescue i work at would advise as cat society is female hierarchy so with this combo your lady would be top cat,

i have four cats (despite user name on here) 2 are 7 yrs old brother and sister, next one down is 6 yr old male, baby is 2 yr old male and the girl cat is the smallest but deffo the boss and apart from the odd spat mine all get on well together

evuscha Wed 24-Jul-13 21:57:20

Dear cat experts,

I have a cat who will turn 1 in September, and although at first I thought "1 cat and that´s it", right now I am 99% decided to get her a companion. She loves the company of other cats sooo much (a neighbour who catsits for me when I´m away has 3 cats and my cat is very friendly with all of them) and at the same time I know that leaving her alone (as I work 8+ hours per day) is not fair on her...so I think it is a good decision.

So the question is: is there any rule on how to do this? I mean, should I go for a male or female? Roughly the same age or younger? I suppose a rescue center (as I am thinking rescue cat) will advise me on character of each cat and which one is suitable to be with another cat?

Any happy stories about introducing another cat to your household (both would be house cats btw and my apartment is not huge unfortunately, but comes with a lot of toys and huge cat tree) greatly appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now