the worst thing your cat has dragged in?

(93 Posts)
chinley Mon 15-Apr-13 12:32:16

Mine dragged in 3 mockingbird eggs this morning. sad

I feel so sorry for the mummy coming back to the nest and finding all her babies gone. sad

I can't be angry at him though can I? He's just being a cat isn't he?

lambbone Mon 15-Apr-13 22:31:32

Our youngster brought in a live magpie which got into the cupboard under the stairs. They're buggers to catch, even in a confined space.

Some years ago DH and I were woken in the middle of the night by the most Godawful screaming, which turned out to be a frog one of the moggies had brought in. Amazing din! I didn't know they could do that. I don't much care for chasing frogs round my house at three o'clock in the morning.

And there was the famous occasion when the kids woke us to say "the cats have brought a mouse in- and it's a Really Big One!" I have never seen such a bastard big rat in my life.

marzipanned Mon 15-Apr-13 22:32:57

Hazel it was indeed an ex parrot. Cat was very pleased with himself and purring through a mouthful of colourful feathers. I was a teenager and I believe my parents owned up and paid for the bird, though it was rather a lot of money so that may have just been what they told us kids!

blondieminx Mon 15-Apr-13 22:51:48

Outs brings in all sorts - treats the field at the back of the estate as her buffet.

Worst incident was when my aunt was round for lunch and dear moggy brought us each a sparrow as if to say "well blondie, the salmon's a bit crap" - I was highly offended!

catsmother Thu 18-Apr-13 17:56:53

Yep - rats, mice, shrews, baby rabbits, a big rabbit once, slow worm, worms, blue tits, sparrows, pigeons, a giant moth (I think it was an elephant hawkmoth). For some reason, the rodents are usually alive and I have to chase them round the house, moving god knows how much furniture with a bowl to catch them in (eventually). Everything else is usually dead - well, you would be wouldn't you if you were decapitated. My best hunter does this howly thing each time he brings in a prize - over and over again until someone takes notice of what he's got. Which is somewhat annoying in the middle of the night.

I'm used to standing in and clearing up various animal bits and organs but the worst thing for me are the slugs who hitch a ride on my longhaired cat's coat. He can be sitting next to me and I'll be idly stroking him, picking bits out of his fur (like seeds, bits of grass) when I'll suddenly realise something doesn't feel right and I've actually got slug under my fingernails. Shudder.

catsmother Thu 18-Apr-13 18:01:58

When I was a child my then cat brought in next door's budgie! It was awful because the horrid NDN came storming round banging the door down effing and blinding and threatening to kill the cat - he had a spade in his hand! He was trying to get past my dad, my mum was screaming, us kids were crying .... Thing was, they used to let this budgie fly round the room and had apparently left their french doors open so either the cat went in or the budgie went out. Either way, it led to my parents never speaking to them again and the poor cat ending up as an indoor cat forever more as they were so frightened of what he might do - he was a real nasty piece of work who used to hit his wife, insult her in public and so on, so he probably wouldn't have thought twice.

sashh Fri 19-Apr-13 05:49:31

Mine is either really thick or really quite bright.

After on unidentified small rodent, a sparrow and a robin that were all taken off her and binned she seems to have learned not to bring things in.

So I ignore the occasional pile of feathers in the garden.

I don't have much hope for Mr and Mrs Blackbird's offspring. All the local cats, including mine, use the fence for their uppy downy walk between gardens, Mr and Mrs Blackbird build their nest in the hawthorn opposite, at the same height.

cozietoesie Fri 19-Apr-13 07:33:35

The worst pile of feathers I ever saw in a garden was when one of our collar doves was attacked and killed by a raptor coming out of the sky. The top of the garden looked like a snowstorm. So cats aren't the only bird predators.

I think I would say that that learning is really bright, sashh. And Mr and Mrs Blackbird's lot might be OK. It depends on how quickly they fly.

Meid Wed 24-Apr-13 09:27:21

We live in South Africa so we regularly get lizards. They are always alive and quick! Often I just find lizard tails, though, with no sign of where the rest of it has gone.

Lots of mice, rats and birds.

Rats are the only things the cats bring in that are always dead, I'm convinced they go out and find dead rats!

Lots of insects - huge coackroachy things, locusts, bugs.

We once had a bat which was flying around DS's bedroom as he slept.

And we once had a snake which we managed to put in a box and release back to the wild (far away from our house). It was only small so no real bravery there!

My old cat was the most amazing hunter and would bring in a few things a day. She got killed by a dog, it almost seemed a fitting way to go but obviously very sad for us.

Wineandchoccy Wed 24-Apr-13 09:45:47

Live bird that looked dead at first but then as soon as I went to pick it up it flew around the house up and down the open staircase covering the freshly painted walls with poo with me trying to usher it out with a mop and sieve, best ever excuse of why I was late for work though!

Next door neighbours have a pond and I can see him sat looking into it thinking how can I get one of those without getting my paws wet.

He likes shoes with laces as well, he will happily drag all the shoes from the rack into his bed to suck on the laces. Which is embarrassing when he does this to friends and families shoes that thy have taken off!

We still love him though.

sashh Wed 24-Apr-13 09:54:21

I spoke too soon, blue tit yesterday.

Jux Wed 24-Apr-13 10:11:05

Slow worms. They are wonderful creatures which eat slugs, gardener's friends. i put the first one back in the garden, but the bloody cat brought it straight back in, so I put it in next door's garden. And the other one she brought in later.

We are overrun with slugs and snails, and I gave the cure to next door. Grrrr.....

The same cat once brought in an alien, too. Luckily unharmed, so diplomatic talks went ahead and the planet has not been destroyed by Angry Alien Weaponry grin

blondieminx Wed 24-Apr-13 23:34:26

Blondiecat got a sparrow today. She was very pleased with herself!

It's been a bad day for birds really as a racing pigeon also came in through an open window as well!

Lovethesea Thu 25-Apr-13 09:53:54

First Rabbit today. Just hassling kids into the car to get DD to school nursery when she casually mentions that HunterCat has brought a rabbit in. And there he is, some magician to get that through the tiny sureflap catflap (he's huge). One thankfully dead rabbit. Chased him into the garden with it and locked catflap.

Came home to half a rabbit on the patio and no sign of cat.

Has he left me the bottom half to share!?!

My friend has a cat (less than a year old) who brings in an assortment of sticks in the same way that his brother brings in live things - he flings them about, pounces on them and growls as them as he should a mouse but sticks are way more dangerous so have to be killed.

I also know of another cat, with a cat flap magnet who couldn't get in to his cat flap due to a random selection of cutlery affixed to said magnet.....

Ours brings us the usual stuff but has produced one dead stoat, and one live stoat which was horrible - the smell they emit is something else.

Lovethesea Thu 25-Apr-13 21:04:34

Hadn't even thought of stoats!

LucyLucas Sat 27-Apr-13 15:44:06

Live squirrel which the cat then grabbed by the neck and swung around, still holding his neck tight, until it died and their was blood all over the kitchen. We were eating dinner...dd3 now scared of the cat.

Lovethesea Tue 30-Apr-13 11:07:12

Changing previous answer .... this morning was a mole. Alive still. Sooo heartbreakingly cute. HunterCat (just fed, glare at cat) tried to bring it in the catflap but I stopped him just in time, so he came to the front door to present it as we left for school.

Poor old mole looked past hope but I tucked him in some plants in the garden out of sight of Huntercat at least. Not sure if I should've hit him with a rock or not?

Lovethesea Tue 30-Apr-13 11:07:47

The mole that is, not Huntercat obviously grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now