Any tips please for an invading tom, cat wee and a nervous cat?

(33 Posts)
foxache Tue 26-Mar-13 13:19:31

Our cat is neutered, our lodger from next door is not, both are male and get on well. Recently, a large tom has been getting in through the flap or hanging around and our own cat is really stressed. He spends all day asleep when it's safe, but all night on jittery alert, watching the door.

Our cat lodger is spraying liberally all over the place in defence - I've just been cheerfully informed that the place stinks sad - I can't smell it anymore. The other thread has great tips with the bio washing powder and lemon thanks and I will now try. I couldn't understand why bleach wasn't working, but now know.

It's everywhere, piles of clothes, sofa etc. Will I just have to keep on scrubbing daily? Is there a non cruel way of deterring the invader, or is spraying with water cruel?

foxache Tue 26-Mar-13 17:49:47

Misty spray does sound a bit feeble come to think of it... I'm such a pathetic softie, but have to stand up for my cat. Steppemum, your invader sounds like our lodger, flea-ridden and smelly (but lovely temperament). I can't believe how resilient yours was.

No, he's not a rescue cat and has a relative living (alone) in another house. I've decided to save for a Sureflap and either let next door in, or negotiate chipping him with his owner. From this thread I've gone from dabbing with bleach, to all action grin Thanks!

If the tom goes away, will the lodger stop spraying do you think, or is it now a habit? I wish I knew he had a good home for sure, so wouldn't feel so bad at putting him into the freezing night.

foxache Tue 26-Mar-13 17:51:37

Another xpost MissFoodie, I'm glad sureflap is recommended then, I usually go for the cheapest and have to replace.

If I were you I'd get your lodger cat neutered as well. Ask the owner if they'll pay and, if not, do it anyway. You should be able to get vouchers from the Blue Cross to cover the cost if you can't afford it. It would be much better for the cat and would stop him spraying.

cozietoesie Tue 26-Mar-13 19:28:57

Well it would make it less likely for him to spray including if the bully tom was shut out and they had a safe place. Sadly, it's not an absolute guarantee. Even Seniorboy made his displeasure at The Lodger (mine) known although the result was a bit less noxious because he's been neutered for over 17 years.

Best of luck, foxache .

steppemum Tue 26-Mar-13 22:33:16

foxache - if our intruder had been a nice friendly cat, he might just have been allowed to move in (I am a softy, dh doesn't want 2 cats, but if he sort of came and stayed...)

Unfortunately he was horrible, I have had my hands shredded by him the day I found him asleep on my bed angry

I felt sorry for him, because he is shut out all day with no access to his food or bed sad but they need to sort out their arrangements, rather than let their cat move in to my house.

foxache Wed 27-Mar-13 10:20:38

Steppemum, its really hard isn't it, knowing they're locked out themselves but not wanting them in, especially if the cat is hostile. You did well to keep him out and I'm glad you had a resolution. I can't wait to get my own flap now.

The tom was in again in the middle of the night, I asked him to leave and he went blush. Then I had to push him away from the door, our cat was really upset. I was too befuddled to find the spray, it's going by the door from now on.

Cozie, thank you, it also good to hear the spraying may eventually stop. It's been interesting to hear others' experiences with this situation - thank you for all the replies.

cozietoesie Wed 27-Mar-13 10:26:04

I'd try and find some way of affording it if you can find a way foxache . (Even if the cc is still hurting after the festive season.) It sounds as if you all are just as tense as can be with the situation.

steppemum Wed 27-Mar-13 22:13:44

does your door have a little thing on it so you can lock a cat in or out? I wonder if it would be worth locking the door at night so your cat is locked in, and he is locked out? An adult cat should be fine over night without a litter tray. (mine would come and yowl if he couldn't get out and needed to go - he did this when it snowed for the first time this winter, he wouldn't go out through the cat flap, and woke me up yowling in a way I had never heard, I kicked him out but he just came back in and then shit on the floor sad because he wouldn't go in the snow!!)

Anyway point being, snow aside, he would come and yowl if he needed to go out, so I know I could lock the door over night and he would usually sleep all night indoors and if necessary would come and yowl to go out.

That would keep him out and then he might get less used to coming in to you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now