My morning has got off to a sad start

(42 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 09:13:16

I was taking DS1 to school and I noticed a cat had been killed on the dual carriageway. I made a mental note, so I could retrieve it and go and get it scanned for a chip.

On the way home I scooped it up and put it in a bag, and called on my neighbour to ask when her vets opened. (Nearer than ours)

She answered the door in tears looking very distressed as her cat had not come back last night. It quickly became apparent that the cat I had scooped up was her beloved little cat.

I feel horrible. My poor neighbour,. What a shock. sad

Oh that is so awful. It was very good of you to pick up the cat. At least she hasn't been left wondering what happened. Are you close to the dual carriageway? Do your cats go anywhere near there?

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 09:16:30

I am stressing about the conversation we had, it was all a blur. i am worried I said something I shouldn't IYKWIM. I didn't get chance to ask about the vet so she was probably wondering why I rang the doorbell at all. <worries>

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 09:18:19

No that's the thing thecat, I never thought it would be any of the neighbourhood cats as it was a good distance away. No idea what she was doing there at all, most of the cats never even leave their own garden round here.

Trazzletoes Tue 26-Mar-13 09:19:43

sad

I'm sure you didn't say anything wrong. If you did, then I'm sure it can be ironed out in the next few weeks when she is feeling a little less raw.

How lovely of you to pick the cat up though. I would really hope someone would do this for one of mine if they were killed on the road.

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 09:21:49

I couldn't leave it trazzle. Luckliy the cat was in the gutter so quite scoopable IYKWIM. I just thought a quick trip to the vets and they could tell the owner. sad

I remember saying 'I have a cat in my boot' or some such nonsense.

I am sure she will be nothing but grateful to you. And when the initial shock has worn off you can explain to her exactly what happened. It really is so, so sad. I find I can cope with the death of my cats quite well (I have so many old and ill ones it's a common occurance), but I've never had to deal with any sort of accidental death and I just know I would go to pieces if that happened.

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 09:26:35

She has other cats. They will be wondering where the little one is. I can't stop thinking about it. sad

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 09:29:56

I think I'm just a bit shocked. My neighbour said she would come over later, so we will have a cuppa and a chat.

You know when you just don't want to do anything? I was supposed to be going shopping and doing some cooking but don't want to now.

We lost our little cat a few years ago and she was found dead. The not knowing was awful, and I did feel some peace when she was found.

I know exactly how you feel about not being able to do anything. A couple of years ago a dog attacked my neighbour's cat in the street. I heard the noise and ran outside (in bare feet and nightie) to try to fight the dog off. Within seconds about 8 neighbours were in the street trying to get the cat off the dog. There was blood everywhere and the noise was horrendous. But between us we managed it and I rushed the cat to the vet and, even though they thought he might lose his leg, as it turned out he made a quick and full recovery. However for the rest of that entire day I was completely unable to function at all - I could manage to sit and drink tea sort of staring into space, but absolutely nothing else at all, all day.

I think you are very kind hearted to have scooped up the poor cat. I don't have a cat anymore but not knowing what had happened to it would be awful. Better to know IYSWIM.

Is it definitely your neighbour's cat? There is no delicate way of putting this. Did she look at it? Just thinking what if she buries it and her little cat turns up.

I am sorry you've had such an upsetting start to the day sad but you did a good thing.

cozietoesie Tue 26-Mar-13 10:07:19

You did a kindness, Sparkling. That's all she'll remember - even though I'm pretty sure you won't have said anything inappropriate.

WeAreSix Tue 26-Mar-13 10:10:57

Oh sparkling that is sad.

I'm sure the conversation is as much a blur to her as it is to you. You're both in shock. Lovely of you to be so caring.

Owllady Tue 26-Mar-13 10:14:28

Gosh how weird that it was her cat

Hope you are okay

Oh how sad sad But brilliant that you picked up the cat. I once moved a cat from the road to the verge when I was about 15.

It was still warm when I picked it up - but I just couldn't bear the thought of someone seeing their gorgeous ginger cat squashed (it was a busy road, and chances are it would have very quickly become unrecognisable).

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 11:22:33

Hi all, sorry I disappeared. Just had a lovely long chat over a cup of tea with my neighbour. The cat was definitely hers (she looked bigger which is why I didn't click I think-plus no collar). She is now buried in her garden.

The neighbour said she was glad that it was me who found her, and rang the doorbell. smile

I feel bit better-still a bit wibbly. But I am going to do some baking I think, to distract myself.

Phew. What a morning.

foxache Tue 26-Mar-13 13:06:03

It was so nice of you to pick the cat up, good for your neighbour to at least know what had happened. What a sad experience for you both though.

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 13:36:38

I think i now can't believe that the beautiful little cat is gone. sad

greenhill Tue 26-Mar-13 13:49:17

You did a really kind thing. It will make a big difference to your neighbour, knowing what happened to her cat, and at least you'd rescued its body before it was unrecognisable. Poor little cat. sad

Here are some flowers

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 13:51:57

Thanks greenhill. I didn't think it would affect me this much.

foxache it's horrible when they just get completely flattened. I was so glad I got to her while she was still her IYKWIM. sad

Darmont Tue 26-Mar-13 13:52:10

I would appreciate it if my cat, you sound like a nice neighboursmile

Iwouldratherbemuckingout Tue 26-Mar-13 15:15:22

That's a lovely kindness you have done.

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 15:30:04

Thanks. It just feels odd at the moment.

weegiemum Tue 26-Mar-13 15:39:45

Lovely of you.

At our old house, our cat vanished (middle of the country, literally miles from anywhere)

A neighbour saw a dead cat that looked like ours by the side of the road.

We collected it, buried it.

5 days later our cat turned up at our back door!!!

This was nor easy to explain to 5yo dd1!

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 17:20:30

Oh no weegie shock. But saying that I would be overjoyed if her little cat appeared again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now