What have I done?

(20 Posts)
cozietoesie Tue 05-Mar-13 19:14:18

Excellent!

merlincat Tue 05-Mar-13 18:59:45

Hold the Front Page!! ASBO cat and one of the kittens played! He (ASBO) walked casually behind a kitten and got him in a headlock, kitten responded in kind and they rolled around together - 'twas lovely!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 05-Mar-13 14:52:32

5 months old is very young for a bengal, they take a couple of years to mature. I didn't get our till he was 4 months and he was a little scamp then.

I would second feliway. cat1 is much happier now even though she us 16 and the other 2 cats are 3 and 18 months.

maybe you need space where only the unhappy cat can go as it sounds as this is to do with territory.

merlincat Tue 05-Mar-13 13:23:02

Thank you all so much for your advice, much appreciated. The kittens are 5 months old,the breeder insisted on neutering them before I had them. I will smother ASBO cat with attention and my 3 kids are doing the same. I think, with glorious hindsight, that I was completely irresponsible in getting these two; I should have put the well-being of our resident 3 first and not given in to my nagging daughter (they're hers, whatever that actually means in practice). Also I was seduced by their beauty, and they really are so very beautiful. As an animal lover I never thought that I would be the foolish person having to re-home a pet once the poor thing had settled in, I really hope it doesn't come to that sad.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 05-Mar-13 07:12:45

You could always try feliway plug ins, that might help.

Would the breeder take them back if it doesn't work out?

cozietoesie Mon 04-Mar-13 23:46:25

Okey cokey. I'm experienced with Siamese and not Burmese - although I believe they have some common characteristics. (Would welcome views on that.)

You're lucky you have a female Siamese. I think a male might not have cooled down even to 'mutual avoidance'. In my experience, once a male Siamese takes against another cat, there's little hope of future friendship. Instead you get anxiety, peeing/spraying and aggression. They like to rule the roost and for many of them this means being the only cat because even the presence of another cat makes them jealous for their humans. (They don't usually mind sensible dogs.)

Your MC sounds wonderful.

The bengal boys will want to be top cats. They'll have their own power struggle eventually although, sadly, their attention will currently be focussed on your Burmese boy so it might not be for a bit. Your Burmese boy peeing is likely an anxiety reaction. He's not happy.

You didn't say how old the Twosome are although I guess at least 6 month-ish as they've been neutered. It may look as if they're playing but the line between that and fighting starts to get pretty thin. And all the time they're testing the Burmese's reactions and strengths. And growing.

It may calm down but I can't honestly see that your Burmese is going to end up a happy cat even if it does. Likewise, possibly, the other two original residents - because they could well be brought into the fray at some point. The Twosome seem to be acting as a unit from what you say.

I can't advise you, I'm afraid, although I'd be over the moon if you walked in one morning and found them all asleep in a sprawl together. My view has always been that my first responsibility is to the resident cat(s) and as that has pretty well always been male Siamese it means that I tend to have singletons as the permanent residents even though I might have liked more cats together.

But maybe your Burmese will come round or the kittens will calm down and develop a loving streak. I understand that some bengals can be a bit feisty but living together in a household might help. Lots of ostentatious TLC to the Burmese and keeping a watching brief looks like your main option at the moment.

The best of luck.

merlincat Mon 04-Mar-13 23:14:00

Have precious things!! what do these terrible creatures do?

chickydoo Mon 04-Mar-13 23:07:45

I have Bengals, had them for many years..... Good luckgrin
I hope you don't have anything precious.... anywhere.

merlincat Mon 04-Mar-13 23:01:46

Not bad. The Burmese tried to make friends with Siamese but she wasn't having it. Now it's mutual avoidance with the odd spat. The old MC is kind and patient to everyone and is tolerated by the Siamese, ASBO boy is constantly pouncing on the poor old boy, getting him in headlocks etc. Burmese seemed so bored that I thought he needed playmates. grin

cozietoesie Mon 04-Mar-13 18:43:17

I hear what you say about the Burmese hating the Siamese. In general, though, how did the three of them interact before the arrival of the Terrible Twosome?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 04-Mar-13 18:23:21

Ummm, well age calms them down a bit.

They just need to establish a new hierarchy. <runs out of ideas> sad

merlincat Mon 04-Mar-13 18:06:11

They're already neutered! Err, ornaments ok so far...are they climbers and jumpers usually? Atm they're just highly vocal and mental; I chose an 'up for it' breed because I wanted cats who could hold their own against ASBO Burmese, hope I haven't messed up. The Burmese already hates the Siamese, this whole situation is turning into some terrible feline sitcom...

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 04-Mar-13 16:42:11

They will calm down after you've had them neutered.

Two bengal boys eh? Do you have any ornaments left intact?

cozietoesie Sun 03-Mar-13 22:41:13

Not necessarily so, merlincat. I might be being unduly pessimistic. Wait and see what others say.

merlincat Sun 03-Mar-13 22:35:58

Thanks. The bengals aren't litter brothers but are so close they might as well be. The Burmese has (I think) been looking for someone to play with for ages and I'd assumed that the kittens playful behaviour would appeal to him; they really do seem to want to play, not fight. Hopelessly naive it seems sad

cozietoesie Sun 03-Mar-13 22:03:44

Sorry - if that sounds negative, it's because if the bengals (who I assume are litter brothers) already have the Indian Sign on him, I don't see how things will improve as they grow. Bengals aren't lily-livered fops.

Unless they lose interest of course.

cozietoesie Sun 03-Mar-13 21:54:03

I'm not sure you'll be able to - the bengals will gang up on him. (We had this happen once with Siamese and the two new boys had to go back to the breeder because the situation was hopeless. (They found new loving homes immediately.))

Hopefully you'll get more positive suggestions from other posters.

Nagoo Sun 03-Mar-13 21:53:42

when this happened to me I read that I had to pet the insecure cat ostentatiously in front of the others. It worked.

merlincat Sun 03-Mar-13 21:48:40

We are now a five cat household; very old Maine Coon, Siamese and a Burmese. The Burmese is a massive character and is feared throughout our street. Two weeks ago I got two Bengal kittens (boys) and was a bit concerned that the Burmese would attack them in his usual alpha-male style. The reverse has happened; the kittens chase him all around the house (trying to play, I think) and he is pissing everywhere. I feel terrible! Any ideas on how I can re-establish calm and help tough-cat get his mojo back?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now