For God's sake, WHY does she keep pissing everywhere??

(9 Posts)
happygardening Tue 01-Jan-13 16:54:12

My cat a single neutered male is currently dinning at the last chance saloon last night he pissed all over our bed the only reason I can think is that my DS went out for the night. It's really getting me down occurs approximately once every three weeks it costs me £30 to have the duvet washed and I want and need a new mattress but am loathe to buy one because the bloody cat keeps pissing on it!! Any ideas before I call Cat Proctection.

cozietoesie Mon 31-Dec-12 10:59:54

Ah - but you're actually in the bedroom permanently now with Her Person ! It makes a difference. smile

Try upgrading tray arrangements (sorry - but I think it's going to have to be you that does that at the start) and give her extra love and taste treats etc etc. Let's see how that works.

NaiceDude Mon 31-Dec-12 10:56:37

I did think it was because of the stress of a "new person", it's a bit strange though because before I moved in he used to rent the room which is now my study out. There have been five inhabitants of the room (including me) in the just over 2yrs we've been together, but I'm the only one who seems to have caused peeing.

TheGirl it's been mainly DP's actually, she has done two in the "study" room and I think four in the bedroom - it's worked out that most of his stuff is in there and most of mine is in here. (She has attacked two of his bags, one full of stuff shock and one brand new Moleskine satchel...)

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 31-Dec-12 08:36:58

Firstly you have moved into their home that's the way they see it.
Next multi-cat households have should one of each facility (water, litter trays etc) plus a spare one so ideally you need three trays for two cats.
Feliway and Zlykene can help the cat get used to your presence.
The urinating is a marking activity tell you that everything belongs to her.
Make sure that any products you are cleaning up with do not contain ammonia as this will make the problem worse.
Litter tray cleaning you should remove the solid matter regularly, but only completely empty the tray every two weeks otherwise it loses the smell of being the cats own tray. If you have to wash it should be with a non-ammonia containing product.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 30-Dec-12 18:59:55

Can I ask if she's peeing only on your things?

It's just when we had two cats, the older female started peeing inappropriately when our first baby was born - and at first only on baby stuff (clothes, the car seat, the bouncy chair) and we felt she was expressing her annoyance at the new addition to the family or more charitably, her stress at the change of routine and reduced attention. Could this be it?

If it's stress related, Feliway might help. (It didn't for us, sadly, and we ended up having to rehome her after a couple of years and various other incidents, including her being aggressive to our other cat but I have heard success stories.)

cozietoesie Sun 30-Dec-12 16:32:54

Oh getting used to new cats (and for them, new people) isn't easy, indeed. I can only add that if they're irritated about something (and it just may be the changes overall in the household because I've found cats to love their routine) then they may in my experience take out the bad feeling in what way they can. Peeing badly and spraying are two of the main ones along with scratching areas they're not supposed to.

Anyway - first, litter trays. You have to remember that I'm around the house during the day - and also that by now, I've been thoroughly trained by my boys (currently old Seniorboy) to their individual requirements! So what I do isn't necessarily the right way.

But yes - I remove poos and pees as soon as I see them. In fact ofttimes I can hear the scratching and I go off to deal with them as soon as I judge the pee has 'set'. (I use a good deep layer of clumping clay litter so you usually get (after 10 minutes) a nice round lump of pee which can just be lifted out with your implement and parcelled up for disposal in old newspaper.) Tray smoothed over, more litter put in to top up if needed and then regularly dump the whole lot, clean the tray and refill completely fresh.

Every couple of days would never have worked with my boys. I think the smell of old offerings annoys them - and they've also liked to have a fresh surface to dig around in before they do their duty.

I appreciate that you don't want to take over His Responsibility but I fear that you may have to if you're going to get on top of the situation. It may, after a few weeks, shame him into changing his ways. (Talk to him about it first of course.)

NaiceDude Sun 30-Dec-12 16:03:44

cozie can I ask, do you deal with poo ASAP? My conviction is that the cats are clean little things and do not like to stand in poo, but DP only cleans it up every couple of days confused I have never had a cat but surely it isn't normal to have a tray of poo in your house? I imagine most people scoop the poo whenever they see one?

I am standing firm on this being His Responsibility so not going to start doing it myself but I'm going to have to keep pushing standards! Perhaps the cat spies a cleanliness ally and is deciding things are going to Get Done Differently Around Here From Now On...

I can't help noticing it's all happened since I arrived in any case sad We haven't exactly bonded - they don't seem to mind me when I'm feeding them (!) but we more or less ignore each other. They don't come and sit on me or anything, although they don't much to DP either. I'm used to the enthusiasm of dogs so haven't have the patience to bow and scrape to these two until they deign to make my acquaintance grin

cozietoesie Sun 30-Dec-12 15:21:28

I've always seen pissing outside the tray as a protest against something so you need to look at where the service you're providing is falling short. grin

First thing I'd do is go for another tray. Myself, I don't think one tray is enough for two cats. (My own old boy even has two all to himself because he's not keen on peeing in a tray which has a poo in it and even though I'm around the house during the day, the two events often happen too close together to be on top of it all the time.)

Just a thought, anyway. Probably worth a try before you get on to assessing how you are getting on in her eyes and why she doesn't want to share your DP with you.

smile

PS - and yes, their litter tray standards can go up in my experience.

NaiceDude Sun 30-Dec-12 13:45:39

I have moved in with DP and his two cats. One of them has taken to pissing all over everything.

Apparently this was something that she has done just a few times before (she's 6-7yo), usually when he'd been neglecting the litter tray.

But now she's started doing it all the bloody time! I moved in in September and I think there have been about six instances. She's done it in the bedroom three times in the last month, selecting things left on the floor (T-shirts, bags, etc) and I left a pile of clothes which need handwashing on the floor and I've just found them soaked in piss envy angry

The weird thing is, DP used to be incredibly neglectful of the litter tray and let it get really bad before changing it. Since I moved in the house is generally cleaner so it gets done much more often (by him - it's his only real responsibility), but the pissing-everywhere thing which used to be a very rare occurence is suddenly happening all the time. What's the logic there? Have her litter tray standards suddenly skyrocketed? What on earth can we do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now