Anyone with cat allergy keep cats?

(30 Posts)
madcows Tue 06-Nov-12 09:44:18

Hi,
We're desperate to get a couple of kittens... Have wanted a cat for years. But both me and my 9 yo son are allergic. I can live with it, but am wondering whether we should because of ds. We have a house with no carpets, and would keep cats out of his bedroom... I'd love to hear how others with allergies have found a way to make it manageable?
Any advice much appreciated...
Madcows

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 07-Nov-12 18:18:10

I'm allergic to cats, that is why I own one grin

I seem to build up a tolerance over time. I am less allergic to kittens and short haired cats than I am to adult and long haired cats, so I adopted a short haired kitten.

It was that or never again visit my mum who took in a long haired adult tom cat, which I perceived as a threat to my life, given how ill coming home made me. She let him sleep on my pillow angry

I'm only allergic to shorthaired cats. That why we have had long hairs.

Dontbesodramatic Fri 09-Nov-12 01:04:01

What Jumpingjackhash said.
My DD suffered for about 2 weeks with runny nose and streaming eyes. Took portion and it all settled. She loves the cat very muchsmile

mycatlikestwiglets Fri 09-Nov-12 13:30:50

I'm allergic too but find I can manage with regular anti-histamines and lots of hand washing. It's worth a bit of discomfort imo, my cat makes a lovely hot water bottle until the bugger decides he wants someone to accompany him downstairs at 3am

I was diagnosed with asthma 12 years ago and had an allergy test which said I am allergic to cats and dogs. So I refused to get a pet for the children until last year. I caved in and we got a short haired kitten for DS2 who is besotted with him. My asthma didn't flare up but I got very snuffly for a few weeks. It seemed to wear off then. I am careful to wash my hands after touching the cat and he isn't allowed in my bedroom.
No idea why but a few weeks ago I started sneezing again with an itchy streaming nose so I'm blaming the cat. I've hoovered extra and the cat isn't moulting too much.
What are these wipes I've seen mentioned?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now