Siamese?

(71 Posts)
FTRsMammy Tue 09-Oct-12 17:24:55

A girl I work with has two Siamese cats and needs to rehome them due to DCs allergies, anyone who has Siamese that can tell me what they're like with kids, my frame of reference is Lady and the Tranp and I'm not sure that's helpful!

cozietoesie Sun 16-Dec-12 19:39:00

No - you're doing just great, FTR. When you think that you started this thread enquiring tentatively about maybe getting two and now you have 9!

I couldn't do it, I tell you.

smile

baahhumbug Sun 16-Dec-12 19:15:09

I'm in North Yorkshire and will ask around in case anyone is looking for a kitten. This time last year I was looking for one! But now have my siamese and my 1 year old black kitten and have my hands full as the kitten has health problems. Otherwise I would love another kitten - especially one with a siamese voice!

Thank you so much for all the support ( for the most part I'm totally out of my depth!!)
I'm in the North east of England, the kitties will be 4 weeks old tomorrow and they are quite happily trotting round in an old travel cot at the mo, they're playing quite a lot now but mainly still sleeping most of the time smile

cozietoesie Sun 16-Dec-12 11:43:19

Oh - I nearly forgot, FTR. You'll need to be giving thought to having Mum spayed in early 2013. You won't want to go through this again.

cozietoesie Sun 16-Dec-12 10:33:58

Spread the word then, baahhumbug. They'll be looking for good homes in a month or two.

smile

Whereabouts are you roughly, FTR ? (In case any prospective owners are reading.)

baahhumbug Sun 16-Dec-12 10:29:56

Aw they are gorgeous! Beautiful Siamese and lovely kittens.

cozietoesie Sun 16-Dec-12 10:24:11

Oh gosh yes. And the rest - they're only little. But around 3 weeks, or a tiny bit before - see how it goes with Mum - you can start to help with the weaning by offering them some special food in a lowish flattish big bowl. (Loads of help on the net for recipes.) And put down an extra tray for them as well.

You're lucky here (although you may not think so!) because you've got a nursing Mum around and she should teach them their tray duty, give them an example to follow in eating and drinking, and keep on cleaning them. If she's not totally fed up. (It'll likely be messy but there you go. Start stocking up on newspaper.)

smile

I'm hoping that she'll carry on feeding them until Friday, after that DH is on 3 wks leave and I'm off quite a bit over Christmas so one or both of us will be here a lot of the time smile

cozietoesie Sun 16-Dec-12 08:52:55

Ah that's good. Keeping on top of it from the beginning is the way to go.

I thought she'd be a hungry Mum. Just give her as much as she wants to eat at the moment and research the second mortgage later! She should judge her own intake according to needs and start to tail off a little later on.

She'll still be assiduous in her care right now because they're so young but you'll see her start to get fed up sooner rather than later with 7 to take care of. Maybe start to investigate giving her a hand with the weaning process so that you're all prepared when the time comes?

Doing well there, FTR.

smile

The conjunctivitis isn't bad, we have antibiotic eye drops, an luckily only 2 have it. The boy who got it first was eyes glued shut and green pus but now they're both just a little crusty at the edges.
Zara is completely ravenous, it seems to be easing off a little. She went from 2 pouches of wet food a day and a small bowl of biscuits to 6-8 pouches a day and a large bowl of biscuits shock
She likes to come and have a cuddle with anyone who will entertain her but as soon as she hears them squeaking she hot foots back to the box smile

cozietoesie Sun 16-Dec-12 08:20:27

How bad is the conjunctivitis, FTR? Have you all got it under control?

Yep - 7 is a lot for a wee cat. (I should imagine she's eating you out of house and home to keep up with them.)

I recall going to get my boy 3 ago from his breeder. We were in the kitten room and the breeder brought in Mum so that we could meet her. She came in a little tentatively and then saw us. You could just see the look on her face.... 'Oh Glory Be. Humans!!!' and then she rushed over to us to be made much of. Paid no attention to the kittens whatsoever. I would have considered them well-weaned and ready to go by that stage. She couldn't see them far enough.grin

They're good (apart from the conjunctivitis hmm) she's taking amazing care of them. They're all really clean and they've started play fighting a bit and chasing each other around the box.
She's still feeding them and I think the novelty is wearing off for her now, they're getting bigger and she's not a massive cat and I think they might be nipping her a bit now when they're feeding.

cozietoesie Sat 15-Dec-12 17:47:57

Depends on the 'vocalness'. It's probably the Siamese in them if they're big volume calls for small kits.

smile

How is Mum - is she doing well by them?

They're just starting to figure out how to climb out of the box! I don't think my life will ever be the same again hmm they are beyond sweet though and pretty vocal already, not sure if that's the siamese in them or just kitten-ness!

TrillsCarolsOutOfTune Sat 15-Dec-12 17:36:25

What a lovely pile of kittens smile

7 is a big litter!

cozietoesie Sat 15-Dec-12 17:25:53

It's OK - they're visible now. Must just have been the lag.

And what a gorgeous bunch! A sprawl of kittens.

Boy are you going to have your hands full in a week or so.

grin

cozietoesie they should be visible, my profile isnt private and the photos are marked show to all smile

cozietoesie Sat 15-Dec-12 16:59:50

Did you remember to make them public, FTR? They're not showing yet. (That may be the board lag though.)

smile

Taa daaa i finally managed to get some pics on my profile, feel free to have a gander smile

cozietoesie Thu 29-Nov-12 15:29:02

How are the kits doing, FTRsMammy. I think we need some pictures!

smile

Wow, that is a lot of kittens! Are you planning to keep one or two? Wish I could take one off your hands but think my DH might have something to say about that! I love Siamese and black cats so a cross between the two would be perfect!

Looking forward to seeing photos!

FTRsMammy Mon 19-Nov-12 20:59:48

7!!! 7 kittens not 5! Argh!!!

Still haven't figured out how to do photos yet but I will work on it smile

Oh wow! I bet they are pretty if they are half siamese.

cozietoesie Mon 19-Nov-12 18:14:13

Great! grin

Has DH lined up any shipmates to take some?

And where are the photos on your profile?

FTRsMammy Mon 19-Nov-12 18:10:31

Update: I'm now the proud human mother of 5 kittens!! 2 black and 3 tortie grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now