Siamese?

(71 Posts)
FTRsMammy Tue 09-Oct-12 17:24:55

A girl I work with has two Siamese cats and needs to rehome them due to DCs allergies, anyone who has Siamese that can tell me what they're like with kids, my frame of reference is Lady and the Tranp and I'm not sure that's helpful!

Flippityjig Sun 21-Oct-12 23:23:46

Can't wait to see photos.

My siamese kitten used to sleep in my arms under the duvet for the first few months. So sweet. Sadly these days he jumps around the bedroom in the night, waking us up, so now sleeps downstairs with the other cat. I miss him but also need my sleep. He would repeatedly scratch up the carpet in front of the bedroom door if he was allowed upstairs.

prettybird Sun 21-Oct-12 23:46:56

I've always had Siamese and wouldn't be without them. It's good that you've got a pair - they're such social beasts, they need the company and it means they'll be slightly less clingy.

Even "dog" people get converted as they are really dog-cats and enjoy playing fetch and going for walks.

They're great with kids - will tolerate things from kids that they'll never tolerate from adults.

Our current two almost never unsheath their claws. The male cat is such a softy with really velvety pads. The only time he puts a claw out is to tap your shoulder because he wants you to lift up the duvet cover so that he can then decide he doesn't want to come under hmm.

His "sister" is a lap seeking missile - onto your lap almost before you've sat down.

Enjoy the new additions to your family!smilesmile

Flippityjig Mon 22-Oct-12 12:48:11

My Siamese boy never scratches either - and my dd dresses him in dolls' clothes, carts him around, can do anything with him. The only thing he does is hold my head still so he can "inspect" my hair if it's not freshly washed, he likes to have a good smell and sometimes chews my hair! He also jumps on my knee the minute I sit down in the evening and stays on my lap all evening, although he's not an affectionate cat usually, rarely purrs.

I hope you enjoy your new pair and that they settle in well. How noisy are they? I love Siamese's voices!

endoftherainbow Mon 22-Oct-12 21:52:01

I've grown up with Siamese and Burmese. DH after years of resistance gave in and agreed we could get a cat. Nearly 3 years later, one Siamese and one Burmese have joined us with our 3 DCs. DH regrets the day he agreed to 'pets' probably as he never experienced them in childhood. The Siamese in particular shames me, steals DH's dinner if left unattended, steals bread and carries it around the house like a trophy and plays fetch with the dcs. The Siamese lays claim to me and will always try to sneak onto the lap of sleeping DH. The Burmese owns the DCs, enjoys stowing herself under duvets until DH finds her, nibbling DC toes for attention and rarely has time for adults unless its time for food. DH continually asks when they're going as they're a constant distraction to the DCs but the joy they bring outweigh the grief from DH which I now ignore!

cozietoesie Mon 22-Oct-12 21:53:38

He would probably have hysterics if you said they were to go. Trust me on that one!

FTRsMammy Mon 29-Oct-12 10:24:12

Update: I'm 99% sure Zara has come to me pregnant due to her looking like she's swallowed a rugby ball!! Looks like we'll have kittens at Christmas! hmm

cozietoesie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:25:15

Oh my! Have you taken her to the vet to check?

cozietoesie Mon 29-Oct-12 10:27:14

PS - I'd sort of assumed (dangerous I know) that they were neutered cats. Is the other one an unneutered boy by any chance?

Flippityjig Mon 29-Oct-12 12:53:34

Oh no! I would definitely take them to the vet, they can have a feel and should be able to tell if there are kittens moving in there. she may just be greedy though! My siamese is very greedy and has a huge tum!

Baffledandbewildered Mon 29-Oct-12 22:37:21

The best breed in the world . So interactive with people mine is permenantly next to me ! In bed in the bath he sits on the side!! And he loves to help whilst im cooking. Boys i find are friendlier than girls as a rule, we have always had them through all my children growing up . Love by everyone in the family and all visitors smile

Baffledandbewildered Mon 29-Oct-12 22:39:35

Haha just seen your update. If she is pregnant siamese are great mothers and normally do everything themselves . Keeping new kittens warm is the key to keeping them alive pm me if you want some tips, we have had lots of litters

FTRsMammy Fri 02-Nov-12 10:13:03

My boy is neutered and I knew when I got them that she wasn't but as the plan is for them to be house cats it wasn't too much of a problem, that was before I realised she was pregnant!
I haven't exactly told DH yet ( he's in the Royal Navy and hasn't met the cats yet) but he's home next weekend so I guess he'll figure it out, not sure how he'll react given that he doesn't actually like cats very much

cozietoesie Fri 02-Nov-12 10:32:41

Well at least your boy isn't the dad. That's something.

Have you taken her to the vet yet ? (Your DH will likely go all into a sentimental puddle when he hears there might be kittens by the way!)

cozietoesie Fri 02-Nov-12 10:34:32

PS - and if he's on a ship, get him to start asking round his fellow sailors for homes!

FTRsMammy Fri 02-Nov-12 11:22:09

No trip to the vet as yet I have a poorly boy keeping me at home sad I'm hoping to take her after the weekend.
I'm not sure about the gooiness, I used the "you're only home 1 in every 5 or 6 weekends so they won't make an impact on your life" argument for getting the cats, tbh the kittens won't help my case!!! Haha

Polyethyl Fri 02-Nov-12 11:38:12

Can I ask about siamese and allergies. Several times I've heard it said that siamese cats set off allergies more than Moggies.

I've a friend who is happy to take antihistamine pills when visiting friends with moggies, but when she visits me (and my father's 2 siamese cats) she needs ventalin, and stays in the garden. Similarly my husband is not allergic to Moggies at all, but says my father's siameses make his eyes itch - so the Christmas visit will be interesting.

Has anyone else experienced increased allergies from siameses as opposed to Moggies?

cozietoesie Fri 02-Nov-12 11:39:52

Make sure that you have some nice treats (for her) ready for when he comes home - little taste morsels of tuna, roast chicken and so on. And get him to give them to her. It shouldn't be too long before you can say 'I don't know why she pays so much more attention to you when you're not here as much as I am!'

Then it's a done deal.

winkgrin

cozietoesie Fri 02-Nov-12 11:46:26

Difficult to say, Polyethyl. I've known people who were allergic to other cats but not to Siamese and from what you're saying, the reverse can also be true.

The first person to really understand allergies will likely get a Nobel Prize.

prettybird Fri 02-Nov-12 17:06:18

I've only ever known people who are allergic to cats but can tolerate being in the company of Siamese.

Their fur is supposed to be a bit different to "ordinary" cats, so I presume it is feasible to be allergic to one type and not the other.

cozietoesie Fri 02-Nov-12 17:20:42

They have short hair but they still produce dander which is what (if I recall correctly) people are allergic to. I don't know. I have no allergies to Siamese and no-one in our family or circle of acquaintances has ever had a problem with them.

I'm allergic to cats (despite having 3!) and I find that usually I need a week to "settle in" with a new cat without my eyes swelling and nose running. Neither my Siamese nor my oriental ever set me off though.

I was told it's something in the cat's saliva that sets off allergies. I always like it, if I'm asked what I'm allergic to, to add "...and cat spit" at the end of the list.

FTRsMammy Mon 19-Nov-12 18:10:31

Update: I'm now the proud human mother of 5 kittens!! 2 black and 3 tortie grin

cozietoesie Mon 19-Nov-12 18:14:13

Great! grin

Has DH lined up any shipmates to take some?

And where are the photos on your profile?

Oh wow! I bet they are pretty if they are half siamese.

FTRsMammy Mon 19-Nov-12 20:59:48

7!!! 7 kittens not 5! Argh!!!

Still haven't figured out how to do photos yet but I will work on it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now