I am getting a bit fed up with the "if I had a dog, I'd get a REAL one" comments

(56 Posts)

I know it doesn't matter, I know it's stupid, but I am going to snap at the next person who makes a degoratory comment about the size of my dogs.
We have a 7yo parson russell terrier and a week ago we got a 7month old rescue pup who is a border terrier cross. So yes, they are small dogs.

This weekend just seemed to be really bad for it. We were at a thing on Friday and someone was congratulating us on our new dog, asking what kind it was etc and immediately there comments of "oh if I got a dog I'd get a real one" and "nothing under my knee height counts as a dog" etc etc.

Then yesterday at a bbq my friend was talking about her old dog (passed away years ago) and made the same sort of comments, how if they got another one it'd have to be "proper" dog etc. Both mine were there, and were not being in any way anything unlike dogs, so I really don't understand it.

I get that people like different breeds and looks of dog, and some prefer large dogs, I really do understand that. But it is beginning to piss me off that anything under eg labrador size is not considered a "proper" dog! And even if you think it, WHY would you say it to someone who has TWO SMALL DOGS??

I am tempted to come back with "Oh I'm the same about husbands, I wouldn't want one under 6' 2", he's not really a proper man otherwise, imo" grin grin

MothershipG Tue 16-Jul-13 22:54:41

I'm personally find several breeds/type of dogs unappealing, but would I make a derogatory remarks to their owners? Of course not! Why? Because I have manners, I'm not a numpty and what's it got to do with me?

So why do people think it's ok to do this to the owner of small dogs???

As the owner of 1 small and 2 tiny dogs ( pic on profile wink) I have to admit that I have only had a couple of remarks in real life, I think a lot of people think the Affenpinschers are my Schnauzer's pups and we live in London, but I got really fed up of the anti-small dog stuff on a dog forum I used to frequent. hmm

GrimmaTheNome Wed 17-Jul-13 08:42:41

I like it when I see people with a mix of shapes and sizes - for instance a pair of gorgeous Leonburgers accompanied by a chihauhau puppy, or a couple of wolfhounds with a wire-haired dachshund (wire haired dachsies look like sawn off wolfies rather than dobies grin).

And in such mixes, 9 times out of 10 it will be the little dog who's making all the noise and bossing the others around.

digerd Thu 18-Jul-13 16:47:16

If the dog has a sweet lovely nature that is what me makes me love them. I have loved my FIL's St Bernard, my niece's rescue lurcherX, my friend's 4 yorkie x pomeraniums, a neighbour's JR.
It really doesn't matter how big or small - it is their temperament.

My own, as I am older , is a quiet, laid back, non-hyper breed a Lhasa Apso, weighing 5 Kilos and 10" high. Not a sporting breed, but is just what I wanted at my age.
Nobody has said anything but "She is so sweet and serene", by men as well as women.

MaybeBentley Fri 19-Jul-13 23:02:49

When I was out walking my terrier I met a couple walking a calm lab. The woman said to me "that's the sort of dog my husband would prefer we had". He went on to explain my terrier is a proper dog - because it's feisty, with a big personality and can still do a proper job (ratting) unlike their boring lab (his words, not mine).
I suppose some people have a mental picture of "dog" and if the breed doesn't fit in it's not right for them.
Personally I love terriers for their big dog in a small body personality.

digerd Sat 20-Jul-13 06:20:39

The dog with the biggest 'personality' was our long-haired Dachshund. But she was very stubborn and had an aggressive trait towards other dogs. She looked beautiful.

HenriettaPye Sat 20-Jul-13 09:39:37

I get this with my Yorkie. I've also seen it on here- people asking advice on getting a certain breed and people saying - no get a real dog.

Also for the person who said they prefer a big dog because they can take them out to play in a big garden- a small dog will just as happily go out to play in a big garden! Just because they are small doesn't mean everything has to be miniaturised hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now