Is it usual for a vet to charge £hundreds for an op if your dog dies while with them?

(33 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Apr-13 16:29:16

Dog had a dental last week and died after the op while still at the vets.

I could maybe see them charging cost for the GA and maybe for the vets time but they've billed £260. Which I've paid. Though I did let it be known I was suprised they'd had her under GA for 90mins when she had a heart murmur.

Is this normal or are they been cheeky feckers?

Merrylegs Mon 29-Apr-13 23:11:40

Ah so actually not wildly off the mark re cost then? God, I was dithering about booking dog in for this anyway as I didn't want to put him through a GA (wimpy whippet) but your v sad story has made me even more unsure. V sorry for your loss Viva.

poachedeggs Mon 29-Apr-13 23:15:09

Viva, I'm so sorry this has added to your distress. May I suggest that you write down all of your concerns in a letter or email for the practice manager or principal vet?

It's totally normal in a situation like this for questions to arise, especially once the initial shock has worn off a little. As a vet I encourage owners to get in touch with any further questions after an unexpected bad outcome.

From the available information it's not clear that there's been any negligence or wrongdoing, but I will say that it sounds like their communication has left a lot to be desired. I think if they can at least answer some of your questions you will be able to have some peace of mind. And of course if the answers are unsatisfactory then the RCVS will be able to deal with your complaint as Lonecat has mentioned.

Look after yourself. This is an incredibly hard thing to deal with sad

furbaby Mon 29-Apr-13 23:20:34

Oh viva my heart goes out to you.
This does all seem a little odd like they are covering up , shame that you paid as I think if you kicked up they would have written off bill (won, t bring darling dog back though ) I would make appointment to speak to manager . You can, nt allow them to get away with this it all these like someone was, nt doing their job .
Feel for you .

Empress77 Mon 29-Apr-13 23:46:24

So sorry to hear about your loss, I really am, it must have been devastating. The majority of anaesthetic deaths do happen in recovery as monitoring is less close. I am a vet nurse and have had patients die post dentals during recovery - it is devastating to the staff too and Im sure they did work hard to try to resusitate. Sometimes patients will even die a few days later - my rabbit died the day after a dental but I didnt even think to question the charges - they kind of have to charge for what theyve done/spent money on themselves - I certainly did question the treatment side of things and should I not have agreed to have the dental done etc - but in the end feel that once they are gone no amount of blame placing will bring them back.

Dentals are often very prolonged - 90 minutes isnt unreasonable especially if many teeth were being removed and because the dog is a big one - vets often struggle to get them out. I would ask for a breakdown of costs to put your mind at rest, vets normally give you a breakdown routinely. Pre op bloods will increase the price, as will the IV and I would expect your dog may have been on IV fluids as well for the dental. They will probably have charged for the drugs used during the resusitation attempt too.

I would say that reception probably wouldnt have had the power to cancel the charges on your account so if you are unhappy about paying it is worth speaking to one of the partners/head vet to discuss it further-that may also put your mind at rest that they did everything they could?

So, so sorry againxxx

sad How awful for you. I'd be angry too if it were my dog.

I'd definitely contact them even if it's just to make them aware you're unhappy with the lack of communication amongst them.

Vets really do have us all by the short and curlies don't they? If humans died like this there'd be an investigation. It's almost like they're saying 'well you were warned' hmm

VivaLeBeaver Tue 30-Apr-13 06:03:19

Yes exactly. A human may sign a consent form but a hospital could still be done for negligence. It seems with a vet you have no come back as you signed the form giving permission and saying you know there's risks.

It was the owner of the practice who was sat in reception discussing it all with me. I did try and quibble it a bit but she didn't seem to be budging.

Stupid thing when she said to me "I've done you a discount" I thought she meant on the collar and that she was been nice due to what happened. Then when she said it comes to £260 I was hmm

1MitchellMum Tue 30-Apr-13 06:33:54

So very sorry for your loss sad

How are you VivaLB?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now