Are you a Greyhound, Whippet or Lurcher owner? Come and have a seat on the newest Pointy Hounds cushion!

(995 Posts)
TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Sun 03-Feb-13 22:15:26

Pointy hounds include-
Greyhounds (Grunds)
Whippets (Whippys)
Lurchers
Italian Greyhounds (Iggys)
Salukis
Afghans
And any others I have forgotten. If you are a new pointy hound owner, an old and experienced owner or looking into getting one of these fabulous creatures, come and have a seat (that's not taken up with a hound).

Share advice, stories and shopping tips!
AK Creations
GRWE shop
Our very own Scuttle's Milgi coats
Silver Peacock

Jake
I didn’t really want you,
I wasn’t really sure,
And I’ll admit I had my doubts,
When you first came through that door.

Not small, or cute, or fluffy,
With big, soft puppy eyes,
But tall, and thin, and bony,
With bald, pink, bulging thighs.

You weren’t the kind I had in mind,
Not in any way,
“Perhaps it would be better if I took you back today,
Before we know each other,
It really won’t be kind,
To keep you here for one more day,
And then to change my mind.”

But against my better judgement, I decided you could stay,
And quickly I discovered you were kind in every way,
Your gentleness and patience, they really stole the show,
“Why these dogs are wonderful, I must let others know!”

For you’re my gentle giant,
Who just needed the chance,
To show us all what you could be,
To wipe away that history,
And dispel our preconceptions, which put us all to shame,
And so we come to know and love,
What lies beneath that frame.

And now I’ve come to understand,
What I missed right at the start,
That greyhounds need that great deep chest,
To house their great big hearts!
By Denise Dubarbier
smile

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Fri 15-Mar-13 22:33:59

Ahh great minds Londoner, great minds grin

Lucia sounds gorgeous, is she a lot more robust than she looks then? I'd love a scruffy grey Lurcher, sooo jealous envy

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Fri 15-Mar-13 22:35:10

That's a good point, they have huge bat ears don't they?

poorpaws Fri 15-Mar-13 23:37:30

How beautiful, a stunning looking dog.

Settles quite comfortably on cushion waiting to be served with a cup of tea. Thank you for warm welcome.

Mine is a whippet, border collie cross. Makes me smile when I take mine out as I meet lots of cross breeds and there always seems to be border collie in there somewhere; those collies get everywhere.

MagratGarlik Fri 15-Mar-13 23:40:06

So collies are the sluts of the dog world?

Or the Austin Powers - wink

I'm also now imagining a BC version of Swiss Tony...... grin

Haha Margrat, yes, I think so.

A lot of dogs I meet on our walks are crosses and very often the owner will tell me it is X crossed with Y "and a bit of collie" ! grin

So yes, those Collies get everywhere!

MrSlant Fri 15-Mar-13 23:50:07

<sends a nice cup of gin tea to poorpaws>

MrSlant Fri 15-Mar-13 23:51:03

gin strikeout fail

MagratGarlik Fri 15-Mar-13 23:55:08

He he.

CMOTDibbler Sat 16-Mar-13 09:00:03

If anyone knows someone looking for a whippet puppy, Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue have posted pics of some vhey have vvvv cute puppies they have in grin

poorpaws Sat 16-Mar-13 11:28:36

lol. Teas nice, thank you. Reminds me of the Aldi advert with the old lady saying, "I don't like tea, I like gin". Glass of wine tonight anyone?

My two girls are fast asleep cuddled up together, its raining and very wet under paw so wondering if I could get away with no walk today - don't think I'll manage that though (especially when I look into their eyes).

MagratGarlik Sat 16-Mar-13 11:36:39

Woken up this morning with whippy sniffing under the bedroom door and crying - he wanted to come in for a cuddle. He is just like the boys.

He is not happy though now because he went out in the garden and ran around, ran back in the house and got muddy paw prints all over the cream carpets. He is a 'dog in disgrace'.

SusanTheGranddaughterOfDeath Sat 16-Mar-13 22:13:51

It's Magrat here - trying out a new name cos I'm bored of the old one.

mistlethrush Mon 18-Mar-13 09:03:09

I can see Magrat on the end of a pointy hound lead... (I can actually imagine a wonderful illustration by the person that illustrated the cartoon version... with Magrat all rather tied up in multiple leaves and dogs somewhat out of control) but I'm not sure that Susan would have one. What with the Rat, the Raven and Binky I think she has animals aplenty - which would probably frighten the hounds off! grin

We have to take mistlehound out whatever the weather otherwise we're in for a noisy night where she jumps onto the sofa and then stares pointedly at me and woofs very loudly in a 'I want you to do something but I'm not going to give you any hints' type manner.

SusanTheGranddaughterOfDeath Mon 18-Mar-13 18:39:08

You are probably right. I think I like Magrat better anyhow. Susan is very efficient and completely unlike me.

I could imagine Susan with a black greyhound though.

MrSlant Tue 19-Mar-13 19:55:25

I can totally see Susan with a very aloof black greyhound, probably called snuggles. I can see Magrat with several whippety lurchers, exactly as above because she would be too turn any away.

I came on to see if this will work as a link. I purchesd a rather fabulous 'walking out coat' for Silver from Milgi Coats and I don't think there are many things in life which have given me more pleasure, it is just glorious grin.

(Cunny how is your brother doing? Any more trips to McDonalds planned?)

mistlethrush Tue 19-Mar-13 22:41:35

Looks lovely! Mistlehound only needs a coat when its cold and wet as she's got enough coat not to get too cold. So we got a fitted waterproof fleece lined one for her. I think we'll probably get a lightweight waterproof one too.

I did see someone got a collar designed for them from someone on the forum - from this site. The collar is absolutely beautiful by the look of it, and someone else that has a collar from there has said that their dog's looks as good as new despite repeated applications of fox poo envy (special, not envy!)

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Tue 19-Mar-13 22:58:12

Oh I just love it MrS! He's manly enough to pull off flowers grin
My brother is fed up, went to visit him this evening. He's back out of ICU now and onto the normal ward. He's got a swallow test tomorrow and they're going to xray him as he eats to see where exactly the food is going. The reason for his chest infection wasn't actually the bit of sick that went into his lungs. The actual reason is that even though he was able to eat food and pass it ok, little bits were going the wrong way and ended up in his lungs! The McD's just finished him off.

mistlethrush Tue 19-Mar-13 23:01:36

I'm glad they've worked out what's wrong - I'm sure that they can sort it out - its just amazing that he's eating McD's (or even close to it!!!) grin

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Tue 19-Mar-13 23:03:24

Mistle that collar site looks Very Expensive! Aren't beautiful designs though!?! Can't wait until I win the lottery. . .

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Tue 19-Mar-13 23:06:41

I know, it's just amazing, especially when we came so very close to losing him. He literally had a few hours left to live, and then that team of fantastic doctors brought him back to life with their amazing miracle machines.

mistlethrush Wed 20-Mar-13 07:29:23

Someone said that they weren't as expensive as they look... I'm not sure whether that makes me think that we might ever be able to afford one - but the maker is on the LL site and will respond to pms there and I think she's giving some ideas of costs - does depend upon the design I believe....

Morning all. smile

Had one of those slightly mad, why ever did I have greyhounds nights last night. I was making four log cabin quilt blocks as I've got a class this morning and we are going to be assembling a nice mini quilt we've all been working on, with lots of different blocks. So, I sat down at the table to cut the fabric and then gradually assemble. I'd given myself plenty of time, had a nice mug of herb tea, all good.

I'm convinced the little buggers had an evil plan to think of as many ways as possible to disrupt me. Every few minutes while cutting a nose would appear. Wotcha doing? Can I play? Can I have a tickle? Quite often you'd get one of those nose nudges under my elbow just as I was cutting with my razor sharp rotary cutter. hmm Anyway, got cutting done, decided to let dogs out and continue with assembly. All dogs went out and disappeared into the night, and very reluctant to come back in (more time wasted, freezing on the doorstep). Reason for reluctance becomes apparent on return - muddy feet which means illicit digging has been happening. Decide to ignore muddy footprints in kitchen I'd cleaned earlier <sob> and continue with blocks.

This bit took ages. Now, as well as the pester technique, they took it in turns to lie either right behind my chair so I couldn't move or breathe, or right where I get up to go back to the cutting mat to trim as I go. Permanently trying not to trip over assorted hairy beasties. Then we had the chemical element - a symphony of farting to create the perfect atmosphere. And the particularly clever bit - waiting until I'd settled at the machine and had a piece under the needle to suddenly stand in front of me and do the "I need the toilet and I need it NOW" waggle dance. Cue getting up, going to back door, all other greyhounds then join in cos God knows you can't go to the loo by yourself, and then they decide that strolling round the pleasure garden looking at the sky is much more fun than coming back in the house.

Repeat ad infinitum. Blocks were eventually completed (whimpers with relief) but the two hours I'd given myself actually turned into three and a bit!!!!

mistlethrush Wed 20-Mar-13 11:44:14

My best memory of dogs and sewing - was cutting my wedding dress out at my parents' house. We had two collie crosses at that stage. The fabric went from one end of the room to the other, with paper patterns out on it, furniture moved to the edges. The dogs were tiptoeing around the edges very carefully without treading on the paper or the pattern.

Mistledog was completely different - she would have walked all over it and probably lain down in the middle.

Not quite sure about mistlehound, but pretty sure that she'll be of the mistledog mind. grin

Mistlehound has spent the last two nights on her bed ON THE LANDING rather than in our room!!!! I brought her fleecy covered duvet upstairs and put it there for her - and she clearly prefers it to the duvet without a fleecy cover. We still had our door open so she wasn't exactly miles away, but its quite a big move for a hound that hasn't wanted to be separated from us at all when she first arrived.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now