Please share your worming tablet secrets

(30 Posts)

Cannot get pup to actually swallow a worming tablet. Last night I did everything, even wrapped it in smoked salmon and she wouldn't touch it. In the end I tried the 'throw it in and close their mouth trick' as I was advised by someone who knows about these things that this is fail safe. But no. She just stored the tablet in the side of her mouth until I was lulled into thinking she'd swallowed it (she made swallowing sounds and everything) then spat it out and grinned at me. Three times. Then I gave up and went to bed. This morning the tablet was mushed up into some Philly cheese and got it in that way, slowly.

There must be an easier way! Bear in mind this dog is a fussy eater so hiding it in food bowl will backfire as she often refuses a meal. If I could disguise it as a drinks mat or a skirting board mind I'd have no problems as she's eaten both of those today grin

Love the marmite toast suggestion! I thought I was doing the 'throw it in' as far back as possible but I may enlist DH's help next time and aim even further back. I swear she managed to turn her tongue backwards and drag it outsmile

HoneyDragon Wed 30-Jan-13 19:25:52

Previous thick dog went

Sit
Here you go
<<glunk>>
Good girl!

Current thick dog has it hidden in cheese.

SpicyPear Wed 30-Jan-13 20:01:27

Good luck Bertha. This thread is so depressing, I now understand why the vet seemed sceptical that I've tried the things I said I had. Absolutely everything listed here and more. She even managed to extract it from the middle of a huge chunk of raw aberdeen angus diced steak, swallow the steak then spit it out. I nearly cried that time!

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Wed 30-Jan-13 20:18:07

My dog is half lab/half mutt.

Where anything edible and most things inedible goes, we have never had a problem. Similar to HoneyDragon's previous dog, she just takes it!

The cats OTOH. It takes 2 people, stealth kitty stalking, a towel and a lot of fish pate!!

littlewhitebag Wed 30-Jan-13 20:37:27

I have a labrador grin Eats anything including nasty drug like pills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now