Getting a dog

(56 Posts)
ILikeToClean Tue 15-Jan-13 21:24:27

I've been stalking the doghouse for over a yr, after reading all the pros and cons we've decided to get a dog. Our set up is me, dh, 2 dd's (10 and 8 yo), have the space for a medium size dog, I work 2 days a wk but PILs come over to look after dd's so dog would be left for maybe 5 hours, so have looked into a dog walker to perhaps come in on those 2 days around lunchtime, depending on dog and their needs. Dh would walk dog before and after work on those days. Main issue is we have a 15 yo cat who is v chilled out but has only ever met one dog (a dachsund who was the same size!), she was curious but not fussed. I have figured out where dog and cat will go in the house, got my head around the extra cleaning and work involved, basically thought of nothing else for ages, and think I've got everything covered! We're looking at a rescue dog rather than puppy, i'll take time off once we get dog, so will dh, just wondering if we need to think about anything else? I know it's a big decision so I guess I just some reassurance we are doing the right thing! Sorry for long post! Any more advice?

£1200 is insane, especially for essentially a cross breed not recognised by the KC. We looked at vizsla's quite seriously before we got a springer, even a sought after breed such as this is approx £800. Our puppy was £450, on the steep side for a springer tbh, but still a third of the price of your first breeder! Second sounds much better but seeing them in person will cement your feelings

Still fancy a vizsla tbh, seeing our friends flying through the fields like a thoroughbred is amazing.

My book list is - clicker training by Karen Pryor. On talking terms with dogs by turgid rugass. Puppy whisperer by Paul Owens, 100 ways to train the perfect dog by Sarah fisher, perfect puppy, two Ian Dunbar free downloads which are ok but I find him a touch dramatic in parts, there's more!

I am on the phone, sorry for grammar and general typing!

ILikeToClean Fri 25-Jan-13 10:23:02

Completely insane, I agree. Think we have decided that the more local lady will probably be a better bet, she has not even mentioned money and I have seen lots of pictures of her dogs in her home so they are definitely pets rather than a business.

Ooh just looked up vizlas as I had no idea what they were like, they are absolutely gorgeous! It's just too hard to choose!

Thanks for the book list, will definitely check them out.

LadyTurmoil Sun 27-Jan-13 01:04:11

Let us know what happen ILike

ILikeToClean Mon 28-Jan-13 14:44:37

Update: saw the breeder and her dogs yesterday, the dog is confirmed pregnant and litter due in March. Absolutely lovely lady, really knowledgeable and answered all my questions, showed us all paperwork etc, basically everything a good breeder should do. Questioned us too. The dogs were fun, but really relaxed and nice natured, definitely family pets so no puppy farm scenario! Didn't want a deposit or anything until pups born, so we are going with her. Feel v excited, and confident we can do this! Had another look into labradoodle rescue etc but nothing doing, so this is what we have decided upon. Thanks so much to you all for your comments, now we have a long wait but plenty of time to plan!

LadyTurmoil Thu 31-Jan-13 21:22:29

Good luck - updates and photos please!

ILikeToClean Thu 31-Jan-13 22:24:57

I will do but seems like a long wait! Thanks LadyT for your advice and support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now