Springer Doodles

(28 Posts)
laneyboo Fri 28-Dec-12 17:44:22

Hi. We have a Springerdoodle, he's the nicest dog. Loves people and other dogs and is becoming really well trained, with lots of time and effort. Just thought I'd give all of you 'designer' breed doubters the chance to have go, ŵith it being Christmas time still.

Honey - we did a lot of research. Tons!!! Our breeder loves Springers but prefers them smaller, so carefully selected the sire, their dam already small. Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing they did, their personal preference I guess. Only breed to gain a puppy. Only once per bitch. Lifelong support and will have asked he go to them for holidays etc rather than kennels. He will come with us though anyway!

Still, we could have had a rescue, I appreciate this fact and 'saved a dog'! Feel a touch bad about this fact.

Oh and hip scores etc very low for breed etc.

DH very keen to have another dog in a year or so as we have taken to dog ownership better than we ever imagined so maybe then we could think about a rescue, although the idea that you get a blank canvas with a puppy and minimise the risks by going to a reputable breeder is appealing. Especially with kids.

When you read the threads on the doghouse, this seems a selfish attitude though, which I never considered it to be before, just that we could give a loving home and cherish a puppy for its whole life.

This probably isn't the right thread and I am not really sure what I am trying to say lol but when I posted initially and with excitement that we were getting our puppy the first reply was to ask why not a rescue?

They are not for everyone though but why should I feel bad about this I guess when I love and adore our pedigree dog?

All said in good spirit anyway and I luffs my puppy!!!!!

Happy new year!!

LtXmasEve Wed 02-Jan-13 18:14:21

maybe then we could think about a rescue, although the idea that you get a blank canvas with a puppy and minimise the risks by going to a reputable breeder is appealing. Especially with kids

There are hundreds of puppies in Rescue. MuttDog was from a litter of 6 that were dumped in a sports bag in a car park when they were about 6 weeks old. They were next to a Biffa Bin. If the bag hadn't 'yapped' when someone walked past they would have been thrown in the rubbish and crushed to death sad angry

You don't need a pedigree or to buy from a breeder to ensure a dog that is 'good with kids' or a 'blank canvas'. And there is no such thing as 'good with kids' versus 'bad with kids' - Deed NOT Breed - a dog is what you make it.

If you get a puppy you can pretty much turn it into whatever you want. Good training is essential and if you went for an older dog then a reputable rescue will had started the process.

Everyone - please, if you are thinking about getting a dog this year - PLEASE consider a Rescue Dog, don't let the stinking RSPCA kill more healthy dogs just because they cannot find homes for them. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now