My cocker spaniel has cancer :(

(37 Posts)
Ingles2 Thu 27-Dec-12 22:03:46

That's it really.... Am gutted and can't stop crying which is ridiculous as it's just the dog... But I love her and can't imagine life without her.
She's 10 and we noticed a lump about a month ago which has grown really quickly. Vet thought it was more likely to be a cyst at first, but x rays today confirmed it and as her chest is also full of tumours he said there was no point in operating. So that's it,.. I'm waiting now for the day we put her to sleep. I get the impression the vet thinks it'll be in the next week or so, but he said it was up to me
Am so sad, she's my first and only dog.

SecretNutellaFix Tue 01-Jan-13 21:10:33

I still wonder why my Kes isn't there to welcome me when I go to visit my mother and then remember. I half expect a soaking wet sheepdog to come in from outside with a solid rubber ball in her mouth and drop it on my bare feet.

That was over two years ago. She was my birthday present for my 19th Birthday. It gets easier

Ingles, I am so so sorry. We lost our beloved Cocker Spaniel, at the age of five, following an accident. It was heart breaking. For months and months afterwards I imagined (almost 'felt', but that may be a bit woo) that he was trotting alongside me, even at work...

The pain lessened when, after a year, we got another dog. Not a cocker spaniel as we could not face having a dog similar to Dill.

Sending you love x

Ingles2 Tue 01-Jan-13 21:13:39

thanks Nutella... I can't imagine it at the moment, but I know you're right.

Ingles2 Tue 01-Jan-13 21:16:15

thankyou nine..x

MrsRandom78 Tue 01-Jan-13 21:25:50

So sorry Ingles hmm She wasn't 'like' a member of the family, she WAS a member of the family so you shouldn't feel bad for grieving. Big hugs.

Paddlinglikehell Tue 01-Jan-13 22:41:07

So sorry for you, but it was lovely she went at home without all the stress of going into the vets etc.

We lost our terrier a few weeks before Christmas, we miss her terribly, the crying has stopped - well mostly - but it still hurts so much. Thinking of you all.

Lifeisontheup Wed 02-Jan-13 09:23:15

I woke up this morning thinking I heard her bark, was half out of bed before I remembered. sad Got to go and collect her ashes from the vets today, we're going to scatter them on the big common nearby which was one of her favourite walks.

Ingles Isn't it strange that both our spaniels were called Pippa? Hope they're having fun somewhere with lots of mud and compliant rabbits.

mistlethrush Wed 02-Jan-13 11:56:09

We lost our wonderful dog back in October. I'm still upset, I still miss her. We got another dog quite quickly - DS is only 7.5 and we wanted something to focus him on - not a replacement, but a different dog. We have found a lovely new dog - another rescue, aged 2, and are having to do lots with her. But I still miss our old lady and wish we had had the year / 18 months more that we expected with her.

Thinking of all who have lost dogs recently.

biff23 Wed 02-Jan-13 18:37:46

So sorry to hear this. Devastating news for you. I have a cocker too and would be heartbroken if anything happened. Such wonderful dogs.

Ingles2 Sat 05-Jan-13 21:05:51

I'm sorry I missed these messages before.... But thank you anyway..
Most of the time I'm busy at work and its fine, then I come home and like you life , I think I hear a bark or catch a movement sad
I found a gorgeous pic of her yesterday and stuck it on our notice board in the kitchen, but every time I caught sight of her, I got that lump stuck in my throat.
Ds2 said seeing her, made him really sad, so I've put it away for now, until we,re ready. I've got to pick the ashes up as well... I think we,ll scatter them under her favourite apple tree.
Pippa is a great name for a spaniel life smile .and I'll join you in hoping they are happy, wherever they may be. X

mistlethrush Sat 05-Jan-13 22:00:06

DS was in tears today thinking about mistledog... even though he was holding mistlehound's lead at the time. Mistlehound is lovely - but she's not and never will be mistledog... she will never occupy the same 'hole' as mistledog, it will be a different one.

biff23 Tue 08-Jan-13 23:04:28

So sorry Ingles. Am tearing up thinking of you. At least she died at home with her loving family, that's the sweetest way x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now