Had to take Jas to the OOH vet after he scoffed a dark chocolate toblerone

(43 Posts)

Just back, without Jas sad Had to leave him there while they made him vomit, put him on a drip and cleaned him out with charcoal. He is having blood tests as I type. OOH local vet was out of the necessary emetic, so we had to travel 46 effing miles to the next one. By the time we got there, an hour and a half had passed since he ate the chocolate. Vet was concerned he might have absorbed too much to be safe. Just rung as soon as we got through the door and have been told he has vomited a lot, which is good, and they're waiting on his blood results. DH is fretting that the insurance won't cover it, I'm just hoping he pulls through.

Oh and the thing about one raisin is enough to kill a great Dane hmm ... I think that may be an exaggeration. Obviously they should be avoided but a stolen bag of fruit scones didn't make my dog keel over.

fluffygal Sun 23-Dec-12 08:49:51

My lurcher ate a whole 1.5kg bag of raisins but she wasn't sick or ill. She also ate a massive tray of thornton chocolates and was ok after that too. Then my greyhound ate a rabbit and was sick for a week! Go figure!

Marne Sun 23-Dec-12 08:56:06

Our Springer (when i was a kid) often ate chocolate, would pinch a whole bar if he had the chance and was never ill.

Several people jumped on me a few months ago when i posted on fb that i had let my staffie have a tiny amount of hot chocolate out of my mug saying that it would kill her hmm, i only let her have the last dribble in the bottom of my mug.

I do hope your dog is ok and is better for christmas (so he can have some turkey) and i hope the insurance covers it (i'm sure it will), the last thing you need at christmas is a huge vets bill, we had to pay out almost £800 on our cat this year after he was hit by a car (he wasn't insured) sad.

MasterOfTheChristmasDisaster Sun 23-Dec-12 09:05:16

chickens I had to take my springer to Vets Now earlier in the year. He has been eating bits of sponge balls fucking nutter smile

He had to be operated on and was in in over a few days. They operated out of my vets surgery at night.

They looked after him brilliantly. I didn't have any complaints. And my insurance paid out.

Fx Jas I feeling better

Floralnomad Sun 23-Dec-12 10:30:32

Hope Jas is better today . With regards to the posts about dogs eating stuff and being ok I assume its like humans ,some people drink and never seem to get liver damage ,others have a moderate alcohol intake and get damage. FWIW my puppy dug up and ate some daffodil bulbs a few weeks after we got him and although we rang the vet he was already vomiting and they said to observe and he was fine. What I'd like to know is why these things always happen when the vets are closed!

shoutymcshoutsmum Sun 23-Dec-12 13:19:24

All the papers I've read gives a g/kg toxicity level for raisins based on these papers, so leading me to the conclusion that it would be impossible for a raisin to kill a Great Dane. People in the know. Are these papers bullsh**?

SecretSantaFix Sun 23-Dec-12 14:38:39

I hope Jas is well on the way to recovery, Chickens.

Thanks everyone for your kind messages. We were allowed to bring Jas home at 11 am. He has to have a further blood test at our own vets tomorrow just to check his kidney function again, but it seems that we got away with it. He is very subdued and exhausted, so no walks today and a light dinner of chicken and rice. The bill totalled £650 all bar a few pennies, so not a cheap accident but thankfully one with a happy ending. I think I've aged a few years in the last 24 hours <reaches for gin>

SecretSantaFix Sun 23-Dec-12 14:53:17

Have the insurance been any help?

Screaminabdabs Sun 23-Dec-12 14:54:59

Very useful thread - ta. Especially that chart from the vet nurse, bottom of page 1.

Merry Xmas to you and Jas. xxxxxxx

Haven't spoken to insureres, but the vet is going to send off the claim etc. She seemed to think there wouldn't be a problem.

bumpybecky Sun 23-Dec-12 19:01:40

so glad to hear he's been allowed home smile hope the test goes ok tomorrow

1MitchellMum Mon 24-Dec-12 06:44:18

Hope full recovery is made, what a worrying time. I think the weight of dog to weight of raisins/chocolate or whatever is just a guide - sometimes you can be lucky, other times not. So it's always wise to go to the vet if your dog consumes any 'naughty' things.

ijustwant8hours Thu 27-Dec-12 22:03:04

Glad things seem ok Chickens. Hope the further bloods are fine.

We had a scare earlier, dog was downstairs with DH and the kids I was upstairs, there was loads of screaming, mummy, mummy puppy has eaten chocolate, puppy is going to die!! Kids in floods of tears. I had seen your post above earlier and was expecting the worst.

He had eaten one smartie.

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Thu 27-Dec-12 22:08:11

i now hide chocs after my cav once got upstairs and ate a 2lb bag of seconds that DS had brought home from a friends....

i was up all night with a puking dog. was awful. and she got my rug each and every sodding time....full laminate floor to go at and she chose my rug to puke on....

i phoned the vet in a panic but ended up just sitting up all night nursing a pukey dog....she did look so sorry for herself!

hope jas makes a full recovery!

higgle Fri 28-Dec-12 22:21:03

Some years ago our then dogs, a collie cross and a standard dachshund ate at least 3 boxes of chocolates between them. They climbed onto a sofa in teh hall and nibbled teh bottom out of a carrier bag the chocolates were in hanging from our coat rack - ever the partners in crime. I knew nothing about dogs and chocolates at this time and although they were a bit bloated and very farty for a couple of days there were no other ill effects.

Northernlebkuchen Fri 28-Dec-12 22:30:20

My aunts's cav puppy ate the best part of a fruit cake once. Amazingly he survived after unbelievable vomiting. Truly we knew what sick as a dog meant.......

It's been quite a slow recovery, tbh. He has lost weight and is still not eating at his normal level, although his appetite seems to be improving. The vet did say that it would take a while for him to get fully over it, and we're gradually increasing his activity levels again. He's used to 2 hours a day off lead, but on Wednesday we were only out for an hour and it knocked him for six. He had a follow up blood test at our vets on Monday, and thankfully everything was fine. But that's £700 worth of treatment over one small bar of chocolate, and a very poorly dog. My childhood dog used to be given chocolate sometimes as a treat. We didn't know it was dangerous, tbh. Never, ever again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now