Spinones...

(5 Posts)
countrykitten Tue 01-Jan-13 10:28:09

Our friend recently lost their Spinone and we were almost as devastated as he was. She was utterly gorgeous. Soft, friendly and very playful in a big lollopy kind of way! We are Spaniel folk and a Spinone is the only other breed we might consider as we lost our hearts to her.

Things about them:
As deep chested dogs they are more at risk of gut problems/blost - this is how this girl died
They need LOTS of room - no two up two downs for a dog this size! The dog we loved lived on a farm and spent much of her time in the day padding about the place but tbf she also slept a great deal!
They slobber. A great deal. You will need a cloth dedicated to mopping your dog's face and when guests come you will need to warn them as they can be very friendly with their slobber and paws!
The Spinone we knew did not really shed too badly but she did need frequent baths and her coat needed more care than the average dog.
They are very people focused and should not be left for long periods of time but then this applies to all dogs so I am sure that you have thought of that.
You will need to take care with exercise as a pup because they are large dogs and you can over exercise them which causes joint damage - the breeder will tell you all of that though.

Have fun - they are brilliant dogs with amazing personalities.

higgle Fri 28-Dec-12 22:22:14

They are beautiful dogs and very laid back, I remember seeing a show class where there were a couple lying on their backs with their legs in the air during the boring bits.

FellatioNelson Thu 27-Dec-12 07:32:55

I love spinones. I am very jealous. grin

My mum had one. He was gorgeous. Drools a bit and yes, they shed but mum had a handheld vacuum. He was very loving. Loved the sofa.

MrsWolowitz Sat 22-Dec-12 15:53:13

DH and I have longed for a spinone for ages and are now on a waiting list.

We have three young DC and are very active. Always out walking and DH and I run so would take the dog running lots.

Anyone got any experience of owning a spinone? I know they shed but is it loads? <considers buying better vacuum cleaner>

What's the best and worst things about them? Basically I just want to talk spinones and would live to hear from anyone who's got or had one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now