Born to be different: Turning 9

(37 Posts)
MuffinToptheMule Tue 05-May-09 20:59:31

Starts in a few minutes.

brittonc Tue 05-May-09 23:16:54

She certainly is. And it's not just the family Shelbie brings joy to. Anyone who spends time with her takes away something.

The risks of Vicki having a child with trisomy 9p are about 1 in 4. But Vicki loves kids and always wanted a big family. Some might see it as selfish because they think the child would have no quality of life. The truth is, they have a different quality of life. Shelbie will never walk or talk but she has her own way of communicating and she has a smile that can melt anyone. If Vicki did have another child with the same condition she would just get on with it and deal with it in the same way she has with Shelbie...though I think Cienna will be the last one....this time!

saintlydamemrsturnip Tue 05-May-09 23:18:47

"She's certainly our little star. I just hope that people will now see that even someone as disabled as Shelbie can still have a great quality of life and can bring so much to those who know her. You've only got to see how many times she has fought the odds to know she wants to be here!"

Hear hear - my son attends an SLD/PMLD school and it was lovely to see a child with very profound disabilities being portrayed so positively.

People always say that about siblings!

SnortyBartFast Tue 05-May-09 23:20:31

sad
i missed this tonight. it was so heart warmig last week.

verygreenlawn Wed 06-May-09 07:30:47

I love this programme - I love the fact it allows the parents and children to have their say, there's no "expert" commenting, just the families themselves, and you can so see the pride the families have in their little ones. I wish all of them all the best.

LadyAlex666 Mon 18-Apr-11 15:23:37

Will there be a 'turning 10' programme? I so want to catch up and see how 'our' guys are doing, have watched this from the beginning and so want to see a follow up!

spangles64 Tue 27-Sep-11 20:16:38

27/09/2011 Shelbie is on life support as of last week. she suffered pneumonia and further complications. she needs your prayers please.

Oh no I will be thinking of her.

smithylovesme Tue 27-Sep-11 20:55:34

Praying for Shelbie

lisad123 Tue 27-Sep-11 22:56:57

oh no sad

mycatsaysach Wed 28-Sep-11 08:32:52

poor shelbie xx hope she pulls through x

lisad123 Wed 28-Sep-11 11:31:02

please keep us updated, anyone. I have posted news on SN board too, as many of the posters there dont leave safety of SN board wink

ashleighj Wed 07-Aug-13 08:01:13

Brittonic
I hope Shelbie's ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now