OddBoots Sun 12-Jan-14 14:07:00

Not long until the 3rd one now. grin

BOFalicious Thu 09-Jan-14 18:33:13

Ooh, I can't wait- it sounds excellent.

HuevosRancheros Thu 09-Jan-14 14:22:21

Ooh, good review, excited now!
Thanks smile

givemushypeasachance Thu 09-Jan-14 12:27:07

There was a BAFTA preview screening of His Last Vow last night. The initial reactions are very promising - darker, thrilling, bucket loads of plot, seen a few people saying it's overwhelmingly the best episode of Sherlock ever. The Guardian have posted a review with several spoilers in so would advise not reading if you want to come to it fresh, but Den of Geek has a good spoiler-free write up here.

THERhubarb Thu 09-Jan-14 10:14:47

I will be going to one of their meetings Punkatheart. When I was younger I was a member of the Northern Musgraves, a society based up north. They were similarly sniffy and I just loved winding them all up. I don't care what they think of girl fans, I know just as much as they do but perhaps take it all less seriously. I may even join the Arthur Conan Doyle Society too, just for a contrast and to make them even more sniffy grin

I don't believe in Spiritualism. I went to a couple of their gatherings when I was writing my dissertation. I found it quite preposterous tbh.

Doyle did have an excellent sense of humour so I'm sure he would find it all quite amusing. He'd be narked that his historical novels haven't got the attention he felt they deserved, but he'd realise that an interest in Sherlock Holmes would lead to an interest in himself as the author and possibly some new readers of his other novels.

I think I would have liked the man. I've not read anything bad about him.

Now I really must find my leathers to wear for my first SH Society meeting.

hackmum Thu 09-Jan-14 09:57:19

Huevos: "He's Magnussen in this, the beardy Danish guy you all seem to be lusting over"

And I'd just like to have it on the record how happy it makes me that he is going to be in Sherlock - for Scandi fans like me, could it get any better?

Punkatheart Thu 09-Jan-14 09:51:23

I have only read all the Sherlock stories, not his other works, which have never appealed. I was until recently a member of the Sherlock Holmes Society and when I went to meet them last year, I laughed because they could only be members of the Sherlock Holmes Society! They were awfully nice but very tweedy and a little sniffy about the 'girl fans' who were joining.

I agree Rhubarb that Conan Doyle was a fascinating character - lots of layers to him. I would love to know how he would feel about Sherlock now and if we were to believe the author, a seance would help!

THERhubarb Thu 09-Jan-14 09:37:40

Sorry, those recommendations were for Allthingsprettyreturns

THERhubarb Thu 09-Jan-14 09:36:22

punkatheart I've read his other books! I'm a bit of a Doyle fan and collect antiquarian books of his. I've read the White Company and Sir Nigel which I honestly found to be a bit too romantic for my liking, full of damsels in distress and chivalry and all that, but then he was brought up with a love of historial romances thanks to his mother who traced her ancestors back to the House of Plantaganet.

In fact at Uni my dissertation was on his works and how they were affected by his growing enthusiasm for Spiritualism.

I do admire the person that he was and his writing, but my biggest love was his Holmes stories and novels. I think he captured the imagination of the public and though he never felt that they were his best works, I beg to differ. He would be a little narked to be only remembered for Holmes to say the least, but also a little proud perhaps that 150 years on his character is still going strong.

If you have seen the Sherlock series from the beginning then I suggest you read the Study in Scarlet as you'll find many familiar scenes that you can identify with. This also illustrates Doyle's knowledge of history.

The Hound of the Baskervilles is not a favourite for nothing. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, to me, reflects the best of his writing skills whilst they were at their freshest and he still retained some fondness for his character.

teejwood Thu 09-Jan-14 09:23:26

I was a Christie book addict back in the day - DC's now love the re-runs of the TV series on ITV3 and I get odd looks when they say "Yeah - Poirot!" grin
DC1 is expressing an interest in reading the books and is watching previously vetted episodes of Sherlock. We haven't let him watch the current series as yet - will see how the final ep pans out.

teejwood Thu 09-Jan-14 09:20:31

I read the books years ago, too. These days I binge-read/ re-read detective stories when there is a good kindle deal! Hence Montalbano, Father Brown, SH etc grin

I'd read Homes and Agatha Christy, then loads of thrillers, Jack Higgins, Dick Francis etc. so a far bit of violence, but still the story was more important.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 09-Jan-14 08:11:33

Me too Starball. I was about 12 when I got into Sherlock Holmes and LOVED it. I don't like watching or reading about violence, but the genius of Holmes is, it's not about the criminal or the crime really, it's about logic and people and how they think.

Punkatheart Wed 08-Jan-14 23:44:32

I meant understatement, not understand. Tired brain.

I will have to reread all the originals, they were the first 'adult books' I ever read, when I was about 12. That's 34 years ago, so I can't exactly remember the details.

Punkatheart Wed 08-Jan-14 22:53:04

Not attached is an understand. Doyle eventually hated Holmes and tried to murder the bugger. only to have readers ask for him back.

He had lots of other work and no one wanted to read it.

Allthingsprettyreturns Wed 08-Jan-14 17:58:51

Ok I have read a few of the SH short stories. Who is goi.g to reccomend some to me?

Allthingsprettyreturns Wed 08-Jan-14 17:56:18

Just dropping in to say tjis tjread was in fiscussiom of tje day yesterday.

preens

AndiMac Wed 08-Jan-14 17:41:21

Actually, Arthur Conan Doyle wasn't particularly attached to Sherlock Holmes. Someone wanted to adapt a stage play using Sherlock Holmes that he had written, so when they wrote to ask permission, he wrote back, "You may marry him, murder him, or do anything you like to him." So I don't have a problem following cannon. I do have a problem about it not being very suspenseful and wasting the short amount of time it is on air.

THERhubarb Wed 08-Jan-14 16:29:43

And the Sherlock Holmes Society of London just received their newest member...... smile

(it's no longer Christmas, bye bye Cliffy old chum)

THECliffRichardSucksEggsinHell Wed 08-Jan-14 16:24:04

Star you are totally right there, all the SH stories stood up by themselves and if you haven't read them I urge you to do so. ARE YOU READING THIS MR MARK GATISS??? Now get out of your own arsehole and stay true to ACD thank you very much, are you a fan or just a sycophant?

Or a plot hole "is bloodly lazy writing"

RustyBear Wed 08-Jan-14 13:51:47

Steven Moffat: “I think people have come to think a plot hole is something which isn’t explained on screen. A plot hole is actually something that can’t be explained."

RustyBear Wed 08-Jan-14 13:40:58

Another possible loose end - did the rest of Lestrade's team actually manage to catch the bank robbers in the act when Sherlock called him away? and if so, did they get a conviction?

Moffat can do it "the girl in the fireplace" was superb.

He needs to resist letting the obsessed teens on Twitter, brought up on HP and Twilight, with their desire to over analyse every angle, getting in the way of strong main stories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now