What 'Count Arthur Strong' supposed to be about?

(54 Posts)
GameSetAndMatch Tue 06-Aug-13 20:16:19

only put it pn cos Ben from Horrible Histories is on it tonight.

DCs having a good laugh!

it looks a bit 70's type sitcom but im not getting it?

as i said DCs laughing head off but im a bit meh!

anyone?

Bea Sun 11-Aug-13 23:39:02

found him hard to like on radio... but dc's have found it hilarious... and hus me too! Loved the one in the Back room during the riot and "Doctor Two!"... best line???

"It's out of my expertise... I'm AFRAID!" brilliant! grin

JessicaBeatriceFletcher Mon 12-Aug-13 10:31:42

Panzee - Linehan had nothing to do with the radio series, only the new TV incarnation

Panzee Mon 12-Aug-13 17:24:35

Oh that is interesting! Might be worth a go seeing as some of you have said its better, thanks smile

JessicaBeatriceFletcher Tue 13-Aug-13 20:30:37

Wow. Just watched tonight. The last couple of minutes of that was one of the most touching things I've ever seen in a sitcom.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nancy66 Wed 14-Aug-13 09:47:44

Lovely episode last night. really enjoyed the series.

TeaandCake Wed 14-Aug-13 10:25:19

Not watched the TV version but HATED the R4 show.
The only radio prog which had me running to the radio to switch it off (and I usually listen to anything).

Just not funny.

Oh gawd, is it going to make me cry again? sad

Nancy66 Wed 14-Aug-13 15:14:41

I think it might....

GameSetAndMatch Wed 14-Aug-13 17:34:55

nope.sorry, tried to like it ,really tried. maybe tried too hard. its one of those things id love to love but noooooo.

Ablababla Wed 14-Aug-13 17:39:19

Hated this on the radio. It's just not funny and had me running to turn it off!

Ah yeah...it did.

JessicaBeatriceFletcher Wed 14-Aug-13 21:37:16

Beer - wasn't it a fabulous ending? And she DID send him a message after all, he just never saw it on the blackboard - but we saw it. And the book title and dedication. Setting myself off again!!!

Furball Thu 15-Aug-13 07:20:32

I didn't get the blackboard message? and I've just looked again and still don't get it. blush

When he stands in front of the blackboard, the words that are still visible on the right are Katya's message to him <sniff>

Nancy66 Thu 15-Aug-13 10:14:05

The words appear to be a load of gibberish but at the very end you can make something out...very clever and a bit of a choker.

Davros Thu 15-Aug-13 11:10:35

What is it??!! Tell us, I missed it. I'll have a look at the recording but might miss it again

PMed it you, Davros smile

Nancy66 Thu 15-Aug-13 11:25:42

Arthur is standing in front of the blackboard so that his body blocks a lot of the words on there. But the ones you can see spell out: 'Goodbye Arthur.'

Davros Thu 15-Aug-13 11:28:57

Beertrickspotter, thanks for the PM. I can't seem to reply for some reason. Maybe I haven't renewed my MN membership but they never remind me, I'm quite willing! I'm going to have another look, genius!

NicholasTeakozy Thu 15-Aug-13 11:51:45

It's the funniest British sitcom for years, I love almost everything about it, especially his malapropisms. The problem I have is I laugh so much I miss half the show.

The last episode was just wonderful, the scene with the pizza had me spluttering. "I'll just liquid eyebrows a pizza... For Katya" grin

Furball Thu 15-Aug-13 13:35:08

Thanks for telling about the blackboard, I watched it back and still didn't see it. <<huffs on glasses and gives them a clean>>

Davros Thu 15-Aug-13 17:14:30

It's interesting that they don't have a pub in the TV show. He is clearly at least half pissed for much if the radio show. I wonder if he's missing The Shoulder?

TiggyD Thu 15-Aug-13 22:27:40

The blackboard reads down the right.

Good
By
Arthur

harrietspy Thu 15-Aug-13 22:33:36

I haven't read the whole thread because I'm waiting to watch the most recent episode with my dc when they come back from staying with their gran and don't want to spoil it. I loved it on Radio 4 as did my ds1 who kept hunting for it on iPlayer. Ds2 is younger and prefers the telly version. I love both.

Bea, they've been quoting, 'It's outside my area of expertise... I'M AFRAID', for the last 10 days. I loved Doctor Two. And 'A salmon in the toilet'.

I read an interview with the lovely Rory Kinnear who said that he chose it partly because it's like the comedy of his youth and is the sort of thing his dad was in. I like him even more now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now